The Car Shopping Thread

We changed the car that Jen had and she has gone from a Mazda 2 to a Mazda CX30 GT Sport for not much more money - had it for 10 days or so now and I have driven it a few times and it is better than the 2 that she had previously, although a couple of the safety features will take a little bit of getting used to compared to her old car and mine

With the market the way it is, I have been tempted to change my car to a new one as well - I don't really need to if I am being honest but the new car feeling is hard to ignore :LOL:
Looking at the figures, as a trade-in I could probably get around 50% of what I paid for it 5 years ago which would make the monthly payment viable

Starting to rule out an EV as my next vehicle despite my excitement for getting one. I’d just have to make too many modifications to our garage (electric, insulation, etc.) and I’m not even sure the car will fit.

I’m tempted to shop my mini around and see what I can get into. KBB value is about $2k more than the buyout but I still have a year left on the lease. My monthly payment would be higher but I’d rather have that than needing to put a bunch of cash down. Not even sure if they would go for it.

The biggest hurdle is the tax part of it.
Turn it in and start from scratch, or buy it outright and then trade it in if you would like for something else. Follow the sales tax though and make sure you are getting the benefit.
the tax man in me appreciates this comment! glad i wasnt the only one thinking about it!

With 4 foster kids, that look like they will be here for a while…we need a 7 passenger vehicle so we can stop taking 2 cars everywhere.

Carvana offered my wife stupid money for her Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk…so we will probably take that and then go looking for a SUV with 3rd row.

Any recommendations? Must be AWD and hopefully slightly used in the $30-$35 range.

Wife promised me last night the next car can be 100% my choice.... yeah right. So, let's talk two seaters.:D

Funny stuff! At age 56 I'm still waiting to take delivery on a car that has been my choice since getting married in 1994. ;) The only new cars ever that were mine were crappy, underpowered company minivans and SUVs that drive 40k miles/year for 20 years until I inherited my wife's car in 2018. It’s now 7 years old with 128k on it but white is my least favorite vehicle color and it's the only color she orders, lol.

I ordered a new Bronco a year ago but it's not likely to be here until late summer or fall and I look foward to having something other than white as we still have her older Audi A4's that our kids drive for a total of four white vehicles. I went with a blue called Area 51.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 9.51.07 AM.png

Last edited:
I'd need the spider though. Big waiting list on those right now.

I saw this Monza SP2 (not my pic, had to search the web to find this spec) on my street a little while back.... Though I'm not sure that's in the cards at the moment.

View attachment 9063011
Those are ok, I guess.

The car market is absolutely insane. In 2019 I traded my Tundra and VW jetta for a 2017 Silverado LTZ. When my dad passed away last March I had to make a decision as I didn't need 3 trucks sitting in my yard. His was a 2011 Sierra with low miles and in great shape. I needed a truck to take hunting and fishing mostly and his fit the bill perfectly. I started shopping my truck around and was offered $2500 more than I paid for it which got me into the good by ALOT and offered me a chance to pick up something a little more fun to drive back and forth to the golf course. I'd trade it all to have my dad back but it makes me smile every time I get in it and I'm sure he's riding with me!

272137719_10161443742709377_5117530887612536325_n.jpg

My wife was just offered what she paid for her 2019 Traverse to get her into a new 2022 Traverse which is insane. Really had no plans to get another new car and that isn't a done deal yet but this market is absolutely crazy.

I'm been fairly unimpressed with VAG over the last few years from a design perspective, but I do like the accents on this. It's a very nice touch.
I have loved the GLI for a long time. It's not my favorite version of the front end, but everything else is spectacular as far as I am concerned haha

My Gladiator needs to hurry up and be shipped already!

It seems like inventories are starting to improve although there are still huge supply chain shortages making it a sellers market. I saw yesterday that Ford has suspended taking orders until June for their new Maverick Pick Up that starts at $19,995. The orders they currently have won’t be filled until mid summer or later and the problems aren’t just with the Maverick. I still have no idea when we will get our Bronco that we ordered 12 months ago. Many of the Bronco order holders won’t take delivery until 2023.

The used market is still crazy. My daughters 2015 VW Beetle convertible is worth more with 50k miles on it than what we paid for it 6 years ago when it was almost new.
Noticed the same on the Maverick, which I actually had some interest in. A buddy of my brother just gave up on his Bronco order as he can’t wait until 2023. Crazy stuff out there.

I’m dealing with my wife’s car at 300k miles and mine is at 125k. I don’t have a lot of confidence that I will be able to replace either one, if necessary, with my first choice of vehicle. It’s a pretty crappy feeling.

I'm been fairly unimpressed with VAG over the last few years from a design perspective, but I do like the accents on this. It's a very nice touch.

You don't like the looks/design of the RS5?

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 8.29.06 PM.png

Man, the RS series is special... But I am hard pressed to say the coupes look better the Sedans.

I love the RS5 Sportback and my buddy drives a 2019 that he had some bad luck with in August. It was parked in our driveway this when they were visiting for the weekend and a dead birch tree blew over in an overnight storm and hit his trunk, popped it open, and filled it with 5 gallons of rain water. This was the scene when we got up for our 7:00 am tee time. It doesn’t look like much but it was $4,500 when the body shop got done with it.

AFB477A7-9049-49A3-99F0-D33A9A8B21E8.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't like the looks/design of the RS5?

View attachment 9063135
My friend has this one and the RS6 avant. We had a bit of a race when I was last in LA, and I told him the looked and drove like a Camry. 😂

They're great cars. I just think from the front quarter panels to the taillights they're rather vanilla.

Went to the dealer for an oil change, funny while I’m sitting there waiting I get an email from that dealer saying my Jeep is in extremely high demand and they will make me a generous offer on it so I can get into a new one.

Maybe this is is the play if I can get let’s say 2/3 of what I could if I bought and sold and not have to deal with taxes and stuff. Except I don’t want another Jeep haha

Went to the dealer for an oil change, funny while I’m sitting there waiting I get an email from that dealer saying my Jeep is in extremely high demand and they will make me a generous offer on it so I can get into a new one.

Maybe this is is the play if I can get let’s say 2/3 of what I could if I bought and sold and not have to deal with taxes and stuff. Except I don’t want another Jeep haha
Nothing used on the lot you're interested in? Corporate dealership may be able to source something for you from another shop...

Nothing used on the lot you're interested in? Corporate dealership may be able to source something for you from another shop...
I honestly haven’t even looked with the used prices right now. Mine is a lease that is up at end of March. Value is so high I can buy out and make a decent profit. However taxes take a chunk of that so wondering if just selling to dealer and getting a new one is the play or take the money and run haha

Back