The Car Shopping Thread

i just bought a new 2013 F150 ecoboost 4 door in May it is a rocket ship i got a great deal as i found the last 2013 on any local dealers lots

While this is odd for me, I've never had any desire to own a Dodge half ton. If I was shopping for a new pickup right now my first stop would be to look at the Ram economy diesel. 420 lb ft of torque and 20/28 fuel economy? Yes please.

Thanks for this thread. I'm enjoying reading it.

I own a 2006 Toyota Highlander with 161,000 on it. I'm hoping to get at least until next summer, before I have to come in here asking potential buying questions, but I will definitely enjoy all the great info being shared in the meantime.

A shout out to JRod for sharing his expertise here.

i just bought a new 2013 F150 ecoboost 4 door in May it is a rocket ship i got a great deal as i found the last 2013 on any local dealers lots

how good on gas is the ecoboost? i saw reports that in some of the models with ecoboost it wasn't as advertised

I currently have a lease on a 2013 golf, and will be exploding my mileage (I blame OC), I will be looking to buy when the lease is over (december 2016) and I really want another VW, havent decided which one yet

My wife wants an A5/S5 really bad. If we pulled the trigger it would be something we would keep for quite a while. You would think they could make them a little better for what they charge.

My wife wants an A5/S5 really bad. If we pulled the trigger it would be something we would keep for quite a while. You would think they could make them a little better for what they charge.

Seems like your wife has good but pricey taste. ;-)

The M3/S4 type of car is one of my dream cars, but when I start thinking rationally about it, I could take the extra 15k-20k that would be spent on a car like that and put it into a college fund or retirement fund and it would go much further. I guess that's the result of growing up in a family where my parents weren't extravagant with cars and drove them until the cars died.

Yeah, the only way it would work is to find something used and that is where it gets scary with possible maintenance cost and no dealer w/ in 200 miles.

With all wheel drive needed and the fact that we prefer a manual transmission, it narrows the choices pretty quick.

With all wheel drive needed and the fact that we prefer a manual transmission, it narrows the choices pretty quick.

Sadly this is correct. Hence why I own my Civic instead of an FRS (Other than the Boxer motor). Manual transmission was a must and while IO can get around fine with FWD RWD was not an option. I remember as a kid we had a MB 560 SEL and that thing wouldn't go up a 5* grade with 1" of snow on the ground. Pretty funny really. AWD 964's do great in the snow though :act-up:

Before buying my TL I looked at many A5, S5s, 330i, m3 type cars. Man they are such slick sexy machines but there are simply too many question marks for a car of that price.
The German cars are truly well engineered, I'm just not so sure they are well built. The market in Vancouver is absolutely flooded with 4-6 year old German cars because as soon as warranty expires people drop them as fast as they can.

This might be better in the Subaru thread, but I'm trying to get over the stigma/generalization that Subaru seems to have near me. It's either young kids with coffee can sized exhaust on their WRX or people who sew their own clothes and sit in drum circles hugging trees with Birkenstocks driving legacy/outback wagons. I like the fact it's AWD and 4 cylinder (in drive 675+ mi/week just in commute) for the winters up here, but am having a hard time "seeing" myself in one at the moment.

Recently (Well a couple months ago)... I bought a 2013 Ford Taurus Limited. I freaking adore it. Roomy, plenty quick, great trunk space and super comfortable.

I still miss my 2006 Chrysler 300SRT8 though. That was the first brand new car I bought myself and goodness I loved it.

Been looking around at buying the wife a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Those things are freaking expensive and some models still come with manual windows. What the devil?

This might be better in the Subaru thread, but I'm trying to get over the stigma/generalization that Subaru seems to have near me. It's either young kids with coffee can sized exhaust on their WRX or people who sew their own clothes and sit in drum circles hugging trees with Birkenstocks driving legacy/outback wagons. I like the fact it's AWD and 4 cylinder (in drive 675+ mi/week just in commute) for the winters up here, but am having a hard time "seeing" myself in one at the moment.

It's funny, my wife and I have been joking that if we get a Subaru, we'll be true New Englanders after that. ;-) I do think that for most car companies, you can come up with a stereotype for the people that drive those particular cars, not just Subaru. It's easier said than done to get over what you have in your mind about certain makes...for example, my wife refuses to look at Hyundai/Kia even though both companies have made huge strides in quality recently, those makes just don't appeal to her.

The new Acura TLX is due out soon. It's available with AWD. I have a 2006 TL, best car I've owned.

I'm driving a 2001 Honda Accord right now and getting the itch for a new car. Thinking that I'm going to have to go all-wheel-drive with my next vehicle because I now live in a place where we have to drive up a significant hill to get there, and because I have a job where I still have to be there even when the snow is really bad. The new Subaru Legacy is intriguing to me, but if that one doesn't work, I might have to move up to the AWD luxury category (BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, etc). Before anyone says it: wife doesn't want an SUV or crossover type vehicle.

It's funny, my wife and I have been joking that if we get a Subaru, we'll be true New Englanders after that. ;-) I do think that for most car companies, you can come up with a stereotype for the people that drive those particular cars, not just Subaru. It's easier said than done to get over what you have in your mind about certain makes...for example, my wife refuses to look at Hyundai/Kia even though both companies have made huge strides in quality recently, those makes just don't appeal to her.
Subaru's are certainly everywhere around here. We actually just leased a Kia Sportage to replace my older Pathfinder to have 1 car with AWD through the winter. I understand the Kia/Hyundai stereotype and, so far, have been pleasantly surprised.

The new Acura TLX is due out soon. It's available with AWD. I have a 2006 TL, best car I've owned.

I'll have to spec that one out to see how much it costs. I think I'd have to upgrade to the V6 to get the AWD. I'm not sure how well the AWD in the Acura works as compared to Audi or Subaru though.

that's true, and I bet we could have a whole thread about this. around here you can't drive a honda if you dont wear your flatbill sideways and you cant drive a toyota if you are under 91724762365 years old

how good on gas is the ecoboost? i saw reports that in some of the models with ecoboost it wasn't as advertised
I get 17 avg but most is city driving on the hwy i can get 24 no problem my engine only has 4000 miles on it so it is not total broken in the avg mpg has been going up

Hey guys, if any of your are interested in Ford's or Lincoln's....I'm your man! I'm a Finance Manager at a Ford Dealership in Kansas. I can tell you up to date MSRP, REBATES, special Finance offers and answer most questions you might have about financing. Feel free to drop me a PM if you wish, or drop a note here in this thread.
All I need to know is where you live and I can find all of the current information you might want.

While this is odd for me, I've never had any desire to own a Dodge half ton. If I was shopping for a new pickup right now my first stop would be to look at the Ram economy diesel. 420 lb ft of torque and 20/28 fuel economy? Yes please.

You'll pay a little extra for the EcoDiesel but I've heard great things about it from our sister store across the street (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram). Though, with that said, the info coming down the pipeline from Ford is that the new engine in the 2015 F-150, the 2.7 Ecoboost, is going to be able to pull more than the EcoDiesel, is lighter, and it going to get just as good (or maybe just a little better) MPG than the EcoDiesel.

Is it strange that when the lease on my accord sport comes up that I'm seriously thinking about getting an older car to drive for a while? Something rear drive, something that would be easy to work on, something that if it breaks I can head over to the local pic-a-part and get a part for. Just for some reason theirs an appeal to me to drive something from the Mid-80s... Like a Monte Carlo, Regal Turbo, Malibu, Impala Wagon, even maybe a Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0...i dont know..i'm all over the board when it comes to cars.

Is it strange that when the lease on my accord sport comes up that I'm seriously thinking about getting an older car to drive for a while? Something rear drive, something that would be easy to work on, something that if it breaks I can head over to the local pic-a-part and get a part for. Just for some reason theirs an appeal to me to drive something from the Mid-80s... Like a Monte Carlo, Regal Turbo, Malibu, Impala Wagon, even maybe a Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0...i dont know..i'm all over the board when it comes to cars.

It harkens back to a simpler time when you could just go to the auto parts store and get what you needed and work on it yourself. I like the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually looking into getting a 2015 Subaru Legacy....
my 08 Impreza is certainly still driveable and will last quite some time, but it's quickly losing trade-in value and i'm not sure where i might be able to come up with that down-payment money once i actually seriously need a new vehicle. plus, i've got 2 kids now and even though they can both fit in the Impreza, it's not 100% the ideal "family car".
plus my wife hates driving it....she'd be perfectly fine with the new Legacy though (she drives an 09 Forester)

i made a big mistake in test driving the Limited edition tho...
i thought i was settled on the Premium model. wrong. so many niceties in the Limited, but the price-point is steep so we'll see.

fixing up the Impreza next month...so i've got some time to decide where to go. gives me some time to shop around and possibly get some competition going between dealerships.

It harkens back to a simpler time when you could just go to the auto parts store and get what you needed and work on it yourself. I like the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the thing is, its not like i'm old guy trying to relive his youth...I'm 34..haha. And I love modern muscle. I love what EFI, Turbos, screw superchargers have done for performance in the modern era of horsepower, but theres just something that draws me in to that era of car. I think some of it that cars somewhat had souls and you had to drive them. Cars today just sort of glide along on there own for the most part..

Back