The Car Shopping Thread

And the thing is, its not like i'm old guy trying to relive his youth...I'm 34..haha. And I love modern muscle. I love what EFI, Turbos, screw superchargers have done for performance in the modern era of horsepower, but theres just something that draws me in to that era of car. I think some of it that cars somewhat had souls and you had to drive them. Cars today just sort of glide along on there own for the most part..

Only two years ahead of you and in the same boat. I like my new car but miss my 83 olds cutlass from when I was 16. Everything was so accessible and easy to work on. Minimal computers to mess with things or unnecessary electronics that can break down.

Friend had a grand national.... Yea I know what your talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have bought cars the past couple of years. A couple of quick stories, maybe they'll help others...

The sales person directed us to the units that matched what we thought we wanted. We ended up walking the entire lot looking at all of the new Pilots. We saw a unit parked with the new cars that had a license plate. There ended up being a strange circumstance that resulted in a car with @500 miles being parked with the new cars. We ended up buying that car and because it was used we saved several thousand dollars vs the exact same models that were sitting next to it. Also, we had a budget in mind and walked when the dealership wouldn't budge (even though I had done the research to know what average sales prices were). Anyway, we walked and they called us the next day to meet our price. So two lessons...keep your eyes open, you never know what you are going to find and be willing to walk if they don't meet your price.

There was another unique circumstance when we bought our Acura that resulted in two dealerships competing to sell us the car which had the net effect of lowering the price by a good bit.

Those were the good stories, there certainly were some dealership bait and switch, lying, etc. bad stories from about 6 months earlier when we first went out looking to buy the Acura.

Last edited:
We have bought cars the past couple of years. A couple of quick stories, maybe they'll help others...

The sales person directed us to the units that matched what we thought we wanted. We ended up walking the entire lot looking at all of the new Pilots. We saw a unit parked with the new cars that had a license plate. There ended up being a strange circumstance that resulted in a car with @500 miles being parked with the new cars. We ended up buying that car and because it was used we saved several thousand dollars vs the exact same models that were sitting next to it. Also, we had a budget in mind and walked when the dealership wouldn't budge (even though I had done the research to know what average sales prices were). Anyway, we walked and they called us the next day to meet our price. So two lessons...keep your eyes open, you never know what you are going to fine and be willing to walk if they don't meet your price.

There was another unique circumstance when we bought our Acura that resulted in two dealerships competing to sell us the car which had the net effect of lowering the price by a good bit.

Those were the good stories, there certainly were some dealership bait and switch, lying, etc. bad stories from about 6 months earlier when we first went out looking to buy the Acura.

These are both great examples of good car buying mindsets. NEVER....EVER....be afraid to walk away from a deal if you're not 100% sure it's what YOU want. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have heard stories about people getting pushed into a deal, then not being happy about it. All because they where (if they would be honest) to scared to walk away. Here where I work, I've only seen this twice in 8 years...and it wasn't because of me or the dealership, it was the customer having second thoughts about the purchase.

That leads into your second statement. There are to many dealerships out there that bait and switch or lie about something to get you into the door, then they (more or less) dog you into staying and push you into a vehicle, term or payment you just don't want. It gives places like here where I work, and others who do an honest job of treating customers good, a bad name.

just saw this... The latest software update to Tesla's cars lets iPhone users unlock -- and start! -- their car with just their phone:

My wife's jeep has remote start and living in FL it's the greatest thing

Mr Jrod Sir

Looking at Minivans, and since we probably wont lease, wanted a used in the 2012 range or so.

Ideally was leaning towards Odyssey but its way more than I want to spend on a stupid Van. When we looked at 2012 and older it seemed there were a lot of Caravans for sale, and after reading your HHJJ I can probably see why.

Any recommendations on your side? We did see a few Caravans with the 7 year 100K warranty sitting around 40,000 miles, but with the looming issues that kinda scares me.

Thoughts??

that's true, and I bet we could have a whole thread about this. around here you can't drive a honda if you dont wear your flatbill sideways and you cant drive a toyota if you are under 91724762365 years old
Makes perfect sense for French Canadians :alien:

just saw this... The latest software update to Tesla's cars lets iPhone users unlock -- and start! -- their car with just their phone:

My wife's jeep has remote start and living in FL it's the greatest thing

For those with AT&T cell service they are going to be doing some really cool things with Tesla and Ford/GM.

Mr Jrod Sir

Looking at Minivans, and since we probably wont lease, wanted a used in the 2012 range or so.

Ideally was leaning towards Odyssey but its way more than I want to spend on a stupid Van. When we looked at 2012 and older it seemed there were a lot of Caravans for sale, and after reading your HHJJ I can probably see why.

Any recommendations on your side? We did see a few Caravans with the 7 year 100K warranty sitting around 40,000 miles, but with the looming issues that kinda scares me.

Thoughts??

There's a reason low mileage odyssey and Sienna are both rare and expensive. I personally would never adviser someone to purchase a Chrysler product, particularly a Grand Caravan. With rates so low is honestly pretty silly to not spend the extra cash to get a decent vehicle that v won't cost you a fortune to own.

We have a fleet with nothing but Dodge caravans so i know them inside out. This is the second motor I've had to put in at 115 and have done cylinder heads on probably 6 others.

This company takes impeccable care of their vehicles so these aren't isolated troubles.

Google oil on air filter or engine misfire.

There's a reason low mileage odyssey and Sienna are both rare and expensive. I personally would never adviser someone to purchase a Chrysler product, particularly a Grand Caravan. With rates so low is honestly pretty silly to not spend the extra cash to get a decent vehicle that v won't cost you a fortune to own.

We have a fleet with nothing but Dodge caravans so i know them inside out. This is the second motor I've had to put in at 115 and have done cylinder heads on probably 6 others.

This company takes impeccable care of their vehicles so these aren't isolated troubles.

Google oil on air filter or engine misfire.

Good looking out, thanks for the insight.

Any others you have seen crazy issues with brand wise?

Mr Jrod Sir

Thoughts??

I bought an 06 Sienna Limited about 18 months ago. Great van. First Toyota and definitely won't be the last.

Looking today...not going well.

I think we should rename this thread

Ask JRod....and I mean that in the most flattering and appreciative way.

I was telling my fiancé the other night about how THP has so many members that are very good in different fields.

She said, that sound like a great site...after more than a year she might finally be getting it:)

Thanks again for all this honest and unbiased advice JRod.

I would love to get a Tesla, but I don't have that kind of cheddar.

Wife and I have been looking at the Suburban and Tahoe. Need something with a third row and some cargo space. We are both pretty anti-minivan.

I want a new truck. I'm terrible at car buying. It scares the crap out of me. I'm not a negotiator, I see the price and take it. When I buy a vehicle and drive it till it's beat. My 2006 Ford had 232k on it. It's a work truck. How do you know if your getting a good deal? What are things to look out for? Who's making the best all around full size gas powered truck. 4x4 is needed.

Bought a new 2014 Ford Mustang last week. V6, with 305 hp, auto, silver metallic gray. I had a 2005 GT Mustang and always regretted getting rid of it. This V6 has more hp than my 2005 GT did. End of model year, Ford X Plan discount and $3K rebate for paying cash resulted in an out the door price of $25K. Love the rear wheel drive and the exhaust sound a Mustang makes when accelerating.

Love the 8 cylinder growl - how does the sound of the 6 compare?

I think we should rename this thread

Ask JRod....and I mean that in the most flattering and appreciative way.

I was telling my fiancé the other night about how THP has so many members that are very good in different fields.

She said, that sound like a great site...after more than a year she might finally be getting it:)

Thanks again for all this honest and unbiased advice JRod.

Well I'm not completely unbiased but that comes from working in the field so long. I'm not getting paid by anyone for endorsements unfortunately. :act-up:

I want a new truck. I'm terrible at car buying. It scares the crap out of me. I'm not a negotiator, I see the price and take it. When I buy a vehicle and drive it till it's beat. My 2006 Ford had 232k on it. It's a work truck. How do you know if your getting a good deal? What are things to look out for? Who's making the best all around full size gas powered truck. 4x4 is needed.

I've always used edmunds.com to get true market value & see what others are paying in my area for similar vehicles. (JRod may have a better option)

In terms of negotiating the biggest thing I do is go into any dealership pre-qualified for a certain dollar amount based on my budget. If you bank with USAA it's easy to get approved from them & have your letter in hand when you shop.

This way you go in with the upper hand, eliminate the hassles of financing with the dealership. Pick out the vehicle you want based on your approval and you'll be surprised what they will do.

I haven't seen any issues with the new Ford echo boost engines however the sync is a total nightmare and they have been plagued with electrical problems as of late. My boss King Ranch had been in the shop more than not. Same problem with another buddies truck. Keeps saying the battery is low and thing in to power saving mode and they can't figure it out.
Do NOT buy a gm with displacement on demand they have terrible issues with the lifters collapsing and the only way to change them is by removing the cylinder head. The VLOM also is notorious for failing.

Tundra is a great truck but get absolutely horrible mileage.

Can Help on the purchasing end but i do know one thing. You're gonna get effed regardless is just a matter of how much. is

I am like you, i don't really negotiate well but with the invention of this thing called the internet I use it against the dealerships. I will use a site like edmunds.com, price out what I want and have it sent to several dealerships, i get an email from each dealership and then reply back to all with the best deal I got and let them reply back to me(of course they don't reply all) and go from there. With most vehicles the internet price will be the lowest most dealerships will go but a little haggling doesn't hurt.

IMO the Silverado, Sierra and F-150 are the top 3 and would put the Ram in there as well. With the 4 of those I was going to go with either the Silverado or the Sierra based on price with options i was looking for. Prior to buying my jeep and still debating whether to go with truck or jeep i would look to see what other people were driving around our area and at Andrews and I noticed an almost even split between the F-150 and the Silverado.

Forgot to mention truecar.com will show you what people are paying and both high/low end pricing

We might have it figured out but I went mikedean on them and might have some favors owed
You at Toyota? I've heard they're none to thrilled e about negotiating on Prius.

Back