The Car Shopping Thread

I really want a Tesla, but the range is a bit too low in the 70D. I would have to step up to the 84D at the very least.I may go test drive some cars tomorrow since it'll be a slow day.
Tesla's so far are holding their value well but a used Model S 85 could be had for about $65k, less if wait another year or so. We get about 235 miles of real world range out of our 85D but we don't baby it and range is not a problem in N. California because there are Superchargers everywhere. We are saving $300+ every month on fuel between charging at home, the Superchargers, and free chargers at work. It basically means it's almost zero for our gas costs, so far only about $40 for 2600 miles. It's like paying 30 cents a gallon for gas.

Tesla's so far are holding their value well but a used Model S 85 could be had for about $65k, less if wait another year or so. We get about 235 miles of real world range out of our 85D but we don't baby it and range is not a problem in N. California because there are Superchargers everywhere. We are saving $300+ every month on fuel between charging at home, the Superchargers, and free chargers at work. It basically means it's almost zero for our gas costs, so far only about $40 for 2600 miles. It's like paying 30 cents a gallon for gas.

how much did you pay to put a charger at home? might be a stupid question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how much did you pay to put a charger at home? might be a stupid question!

And how has it impacted your electric bill?

Hoping someone can help out with the situation.

Wife and I bought a car last weekend.. Well, her car payment for her old car was auto drafted out today. Which means, Mazda has not paid off her old car that we traded in. That is what my assumption is.

Couple of things... Am I responsible for paying the payment of a car that I no longer have because they haven't paid the loan off? Why on earth would it take that long to pay it off?

Wife and I bought a car last weekend.. Well, her car payment for her old car was auto drafted out today. Which means, Mazda has not paid off her old car that we traded in. That is what my assumption is.

Couple of things... Am I responsible for paying the payment of a car that I no longer have because they haven't paid the loan off? Why on earth would it take that long to pay it off?

Same thing happened to me. It took about 3 weeks before my loan was paid off and the payment was autodrafted. I ended up getting a check back from the finance company for the overpayment.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

it can take a few weeks for them to process the transaction, the dealer told me to block the old payment at my bank when I got the new car, but I wouldn't worry, when they process the transaction, you will get your money back, but it could take some time.

to be sure, I asked VW finance for a proof letter that I didnt owe anything on the old car (called a quitance in French, not sure of the english word).

how much did you pay to put a charger at home? might be a stupid question!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid the electrician $850 but he had to run 35" of conduit with 2 gauge copper and a big 100 amp breaker box. I have the fast charger which charges at 58 miles each hour - overkill for our current usage patterns. It charges automatically every night at 11:00 pm when the electric rates are the cheapest. Our electricity is expensive here and also is tiered so in the summers $500+ electric bills are common with the A/C running every day. I have solar now and only pay about $1,400 per year for electricity with $450 of that being the month of December with a few thousand Christmas lights running 8 hours a day. Now that have the Tesla I was able to switch to an Electric Vehicle rate plan which eliminates the tiered pricing. I won't go into all the details but the bottom line it will take about $500 worth of electricity to charge our Tesla each year but we will be saving that much or more by not getting kicked into the higher tiered pricing during the hot summer months and December when all the Christmas light are on. This means our annual electric bill will be the same or less even with adding the extra electricity for the Tesla which we drive about 25,000 miles per year. Premium fuel here is $3.69 so it's quite a savings, over $4,000 a year.

Last edited:
Going to test drive a Volvo V60 R-Design and an XC90 later today.

I am having reservations about the Polestar. I think ultimately this car will be the property of my significant other in 4 years, so I want to make sure she really likes whatever I get. I am thinking the Polestar might be a little rough for her though.

RE: Tesla 70D - I make 4-5 trips to Pittsburgh each year in my car. With the current availability of Superchargers along the route, it would take way too long to make that trip.

Going to test drive a Volvo V60 R-Design and an XC90 later today.

I am having reservations about the Polestar. I think ultimately this car will be the property of my significant other in 4 years, so I want to make sure she really likes whatever I get. I am thinking the Polestar might be a little rough for her though.

RE: Tesla 70D - I make 4-5 trips to Pittsburgh each year in my car. With the current availability of Superchargers along the route, it would take way too long to make that trip.

Good luck and have fun. The V60 is gorgeous.

Test drove the two Volvos just now. The seats and ride in both were a million times better than my RS5. Don't get me wrong, the RS5 is a treat and wicked fun, but it is pretty rough even for a young-ish guy with back problems.

As for the two models, I think I will have a pretty hard time buying the V60 Polestar. The interior still seems like a step back in time relative to the Audi, and there really isn't a huge step up in space relative to my current car. Sure, you get a full second row, but it is really only marginally more livable than the RS5. Cargo space is maybe 1.25x the Audi. That isn't much improvement.

Now, the XC90. The interior of the car really reminds me of the Tesla. The screen isn't as large, but it is simple and clean. The interface is actually pretty impressive. It certainly beats the heck out of my father's Jeep, as far as intuitiveness. The seats are better than a Tesla (on the Inscription model at least), and a step up from the V60. Definitely a step up in size vs. the Audi (obviously). In fact, the only thing is does worse than the Audi is go fast (probably doesn't look AS pretty, but pretty good for a box on wheels). Oh, and air suspension. I love air suspension.

After these test drives, I am in a tough place, but very much leaning towards canceling my Polestar deposit in favor of an XC90. I feel like the more time that elapses, the more I find myself looking for the highest level of luxury that I can buy, not sportiness with some practicality as I originally planned.

My Heron White Chevrolet SS is on the way to the dealership. I will post before and after pics of my little customizations when they are done. I'm stoked! Can get to THP events really fast now.

Test drove the two Volvos just now. The seats and ride in both were a million times better than my RS5. Don't get me wrong, the RS5 is a treat and wicked fun, but it is pretty rough even for a young-ish guy with back problems.

As for the two models, I think I will have a pretty hard time buying the V60 Polestar. The interior still seems like a step back in time relative to the Audi, and there really isn't a huge step up in space relative to my current car. Sure, you get a full second row, but it is really only marginally more livable than the RS5. Cargo space is maybe 1.25x the Audi. That isn't much improvement.

Now, the XC90. The interior of the car really reminds me of the Tesla. The screen isn't as large, but it is simple and clean. The interface is actually pretty impressive. It certainly beats the heck out of my father's Jeep, as far as intuitiveness. The seats are better than a Tesla (on the Inscription model at least), and a step up from the V60. Definitely a step up in size vs. the Audi (obviously). In fact, the only thing is does worse than the Audi is go fast (probably doesn't look AS pretty, but pretty good for a box on wheels). Oh, and air suspension. I love air suspension.

After these test drives, I am in a tough place, but very much leaning towards canceling my Polestar deposit in favor of an XC90. I feel like the more time that elapses, the more I find myself looking for the highest level of luxury that I can buy, not sportiness with some practicality as I originally planned.

Places are starting to take delivery of 2016 XC90's already in the States?

Would be looking at ordering a 2016 Fusion Titanium for my wife, but Ford isn't putting the new Sync 3 into the 2016 Fusion so no sale. I'll get a lightly used '15 (or new 15 if incentives are good enough). Stupid for them to not put Sync3 in all the current model years knowing how bad the old one is.

Would be looking at ordering a 2016 Fusion Titanium for my wife, but Ford isn't putting the new Sync 3 into the 2016 Fusion so no sale. I'll get a lightly used '15 (or new 15 if incentives are good enough). Stupid for them to not put Sync3 in all the current model years knowing how bad the old one is.
It really was bad. I had the original and it is light-years better. I think Microsoft has something to do with that issue tho.

It really was bad. I had the original and it is light-years better. I think Microsoft has something to do with that issue tho.

New version is off a Blackberry platform that is supposed to be much better. I look forward to it.

Before...
63ee5d59b9099c91da94e7578a83df7b.jpg

Stay tuned for after...

I paid the electrician $850 but he had to run 35" of conduit with 2 gauge copper and a big 100 amp breaker box. I have the fast charger which charges at 58 miles each hour - overkill for our current usage patterns. It charges automatically every night at 11:00 pm when the electric rates are the cheapest. Our electricity is expensive here and also is tiered so in the summers $500+ electric bills are common with the A/C running every day. I have solar now and only pay about $1,400 per year for electricity with $450 of that being the month of December with a few thousand Christmas lights running 8 hours a day. Now that have the Tesla I was able to switch to an Electric Vehicle rate plan which eliminates the tiered pricing. I won't go into all the details but the bottom line it will take about $500 worth of electricity to charge our Tesla each year but we will be saving that much or more by not getting kicked into the higher tiered pricing during the hot summer months and December when all the Christmas light are on. This means our annual electric bill will be the same or less even with adding the extra electricity for the Tesla which we drive about 25,000 miles per year. Premium fuel here is $3.69 so it's quite a savings, over $4,000 a year.

awesome!

Can't believe they are making a 4 cylinder Camaro.

Can't believe they are making a 4 cylinder Camaro.
They have an ecoboost 2.0 in the Mustang also. So odd but the ecoboost 4 is a little beast of an engine if tuned correctly.

Looks too much like the new Mustang honestly. The side profile is very close. Interior is nice though.

I can see it, but I REALLY like the side profile of the new Mustang. It looks like a huge step in the right direction, and I love that it is losing weight too.

And the current Mustang has a 4 banger also, its a new world.

Back