The Car Shopping Thread

Lease is up in a year and pondering getting out now while I have $3-4K equity. Problem is there’s no good deals even with my employee discount. That and I really think I want a Bronco instead of another F150.

Holy schnikes the price of used cars now! I wanted to trade in my Mazda CX-7 for a newer model SUV or mini-van so I can take it down to Mexico, but I guess I'll just keep the Mazda for another year and hope she holds up in Cabo...

Prices continue to be nuts and I don't think it's getting better soon. Multiple OEM's are announcing previously unplanned 4-6 week shutdowns due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I'm looking at used Lexus LC convertibles. The used 2018 LC's are going for around $80k right now. The RV on a 2018 should have been around 56% when originally leased. So a 2018 $105k car should be worth around $59k. Folks who buy used could experience a loss of at least $21k the moment the chip shortage subsides. Crazy! This is not only for Lexus LC's, but about any used car. Forbes had an article about how the banks may get into a financial pickle when the chip shortage ends and used car values plummet.

Last edited:
FYI...I traded a couple of 2018 convertibles (the leases were up soon anyway) and got astounding values for them from a BMW dealer. Then leased a new 7 series and got $10k off the MSRP. Sedans are not popular right now. I saw a dealer in Orange County CA discounting 4 series grand coupes by as much as $10k. So if you can stomach a sedan they are the best deals right now.

So I'm looking at used Lexus LC convertibles. The used 2018 LC's are going for around $80k right now. The RV on a 2018 should have been around 56% when originally leased. So a 2018 $105k car should be worth around $59k. Folks who buy used could experience a loss of at least $21k the moment the chip shortage subsides. Crazy! This is not only for Lexus LC's, but about any used car. Forbes had an article about how the banks may get into a financial pickle when the chip shortage ends and used car values plummet.
Actually, upon further investigation, the residual value for an LC500 in 2018 was 51%. Yikes!

Finally got rid of the mini van….2019 Traverse, wife is happy so I’m happy….
0f454c957e2a79fdf35afae8d915ec41.jpg

Picked up my son a White Acura ILX 2021 for his graduation, there were only a few available in NC. Nice looking car!

Pondering making the jump to a minivan!😳🤷‍♂️

It’s definitely the Atlas Cross Sport. I have it in the new grey color and love it. That yellow color and the chrome deletes are definitely aftermarket, but very attractive!
Yeah, I'm in love with that color. I should have waited for the owner to come out

I want to waste a couple grand wrapping my car with a crazy matte finish SO bad hahaha

That yellow looks awesome.

I want to waste a couple grand wrapping my car with a crazy matte finish SO bad hahaha

That yellow looks awesome.
I know right? I seriously love that color so much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pondering making the jump to a minivan!😳🤷‍♂️
I was looking at Carfax.com a few months ago and they had a ton of Dodge Grand Caravans that were previously rental cars. They were all low-mileage and many still under factory warranty, and they were listed on average at about $16,500. They also had plenty of low-mileage Chrysler Pacificas for about $18,500 on average. Those are now LONG gone and the price of used minivans has shot through the roof. I wish I had bought one of the Grand Caravans (I like the stow-n-go seats)...

If my car changes colors, its either going to be a 1996 Mystic Cobra, or a 2004 Mystichrome Cobra. Do it right, or don't do it at all.
Any terminator is a dream of mine. They're a bit too much money for me right now but I will hopefully make one happen.
Sometime before we run out of gasoline, I will have a terminator or a hellcat.

Any terminator is a dream of mine. They're a bit too much money for me right now but I will hopefully make one happen.
Sometime before we run out of gasoline, I will have a terminator or a hellcat.
I had for a while back in 05 or so. Sold it for more than I paid for it.

I had for a while back in 05 or so. Sold it for more than I paid for it.

I met a guy at a Gas Station that had one like this in Red - Gorgeous.
Plates said "RCE ETER" and he meant it.

I was looking at Carfax.com a few months ago and they had a ton of Dodge Grand Caravans that were previously rental cars. They were all low-mileage and many still under factory warranty, and they were listed on average at about $16,500. They also had plenty of low-mileage Chrysler Pacificas for about $18,500 on average. Those are now LONG gone and the price of used minivans has shot through the roof. I wish I had bought one of the Grand Caravans (I like the stow-n-go seats)...
I rented a 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan back in March. Had problems with it and wasn’t a fan of the van overall. The bad thing is that the only options are Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Kia.

I rented a 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan back in March. Had problems with it and wasn’t a fan of the van overall. The bad thing is that the only options are Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Kia.
Honda and Toyota are automatically out of my price range unfortunately. The Kia is a nice option, but (I think) you have to physically remove the seats to get cargo space. The Dodge's are definitely not the most reliable, but if I could have had one with < 36K miles at $16,000, I could have made that work. I'm looking at Kia Sportages at <$20k, but I'm inclined to keep my Mazda CX-7, which just hit 100k miles, for at least another year and hope the prices on used vans and SUVs relax a bit.

My Ford Bronco (and most others) was officially pushed back to 2022. It's been 13 months since I reserved, and 6 since I locked in the order. Thankfully my truck is still running ok, although at the current rate the rust is spreading there may not be much left of it to trade in after another winter.

Back