The Car Shopping Thread

Weird so you never had to replace your ignition fouls that were under recall for certain models and not others? You've never had the infamous water pump impeller failure?

Never had the red display odd your radio or hvac control module go out?

Lucky fella :alien:

Newp! One heavily modded B5 A4, one stock B7 A4, and a Q5 all without issue. Only reason I don't have one now is that they don't have anything that excites me, that I can afford, to get me out of my 135 that I love.

Newp! One heavily modded B5 A4, one stock B7 A4, and a Q5 all without issue. Only reason I don't have one now is that they don't have anything that excites me, that I can afford, to get me out of my 135 that I love.
What was the highest mileage Audi you owned?

I guess my problem is I'm extremely simple when it comes to automobiles. I would rather have a vehicle that costs me next to nothing to own rather than hated seats, backup alarms, folding side mirrors, etc. I grew with a father who loved and owned many exotic sports cars but i just can't get past the fact that my car just gets me from a to b. I don't use them for status symbols, i use them for practicality.

as I have grown older I now have somewhat of this mentality. Although I will admit I plan to do some mods to my jeep but that is so I can enjoy doing more than just driving it. Prior to tins and after I owned my Avalanche all my car purchases have been for economical and practical reasons. I look back and wonder why I needed nice rims, GPS, etc. I grew up in a blue collar family and we kept thing simple....roll down windows instead of power, no power locks.

Yeah down payment Is a bad way of describing it and honestly I'd rather pay 60 or 70 more a month at 0 down then she'll out 2k to 3k for down payment
But truthfully take 70 bucks. Multiply that by 36 and you are at 2500. In the end they will get you to buy half the car for the same amount of money regardless.

But truthfully take 70 bucks. Multiply that by 36 and you are at 2500. In the end they will get you to buy half the car for the same amount of money regardless.
Oh yeah no doubt they are getting theirs.

#americandream

Gonna look at some used options over the next day or so then hit the lots this weekend.

And at some point picking up the beaten down envoy

As I have gotten older, I have found that safety has become much more important to me than it was before. I also like riding comfortably in my car, so I will spend a few dollars more up front to get the features that I really want, rather than sacrifice on the comfort features.
I imagine that the amount of highway driving v city driving will have a part in one's decision process re: size of car.

What was the highest mileage Audi you owned?

Why you ask bro? My wife has 132k on her A4. I don't want this thing to nickel and dime me to death ( actually it's at a rate of $500-$1000)

I was under the impression that the last year or so that stuff had been worked out. I'd be interested to hear Jrod's input on that.

Fwiw, my bosses husband works exclusively on German cars and says most of them get about 80,000 good miles. Then stuff gets expensive fast. I guess if you can afford it no big deal, but the average person should probably ditch it or start piling up the money for repairs. BMWs are even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why you ask bro? My wife has 132k on her A4. I don't want this thing to nickel and dime me to death ( actually it's at a rate of $500-$1000)

It's all relative man. If you keep up on preventative maintenance all cars will last.

All makes have notorious problems I've just found Audi's extremely expensive to own.

For example Audi's are notorious for electrical problems, Mass air sensors, ignition issues, water pump impellers breaking loose from the shaft, front axle shafts, turbos if equipped, valve cover gaskets, ect sensors. I could go on for days with just about every manufacturer

Gotcha, fortunately Lee is very good about routine maintenance. Granted I'd rather she didn't use the dealer, but it works for her and our budget. Expensive yes at time very. But she's had the car for 7 years and it's still in great shape. That 6 speed manual transmission is a blast to drive.

Gotcha, fortunately Lee is very good about routine maintenance. Granted I'd rather she didn't use the dealer, but it works for her and our budget. Expensive yes at time very. But she's had the car for 7 years and it's still in great shape. That 6 speed manual transmission is a blast to drive.

That's the most important thing. If she enjoys it then that's all that really matters.

What about the WRX? Sporty and still all wheel drive.

We're a one-car family, and my wife would never go for the design of the WRX with the hood scoop and all. Sad but true.

I don't want to get in to it bro. I will say other than a VW GTD I would never own a VW or Audi.

Well, that says a lot.

Interestingly, I'd love to stay in the Honda/Acura family since the reliability of my Accord has been so good, but there's nothing that either of those companies makes right now that really interests me.

We're a one-car family, and my wife would never go for the design of the WRX with the hood scoop and all. Sad but true.

Well, that says a lot.

Interestingly, I'd love to stay in the Honda/Acura family since the reliability of my Accord has been so good, but there's nothing that either of those companies makes right now that really interests me.

I really wish Honda and Toyota would take an interest in developing exciting cars again. Beyond the FRS they are all blah. I do think the new Accord is appealing in it'd own way.

Needing AWD really narrows your options, what's the holdup on a small crossover?

Well, that says a lot.

Have you looked at the new TLX. I drove one the other day and if was fantastic.

Edit: Forgot you wanted awd.

Is the Lexus IS to small?

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Well, that says a lot.

The new accord looks nice but it's nothing that is mind blowing. My wife likes the genesis

I really wish Honda and Toyota would take an interest in developing exciting cars again. Beyond the FRS they are all blah. I do think the new Accord is appealing in it'd own way.

Needing AWD really narrows your options, what's the holdup on a small crossover?

I'd have to look into crossovers a bit more....I'm not excited about them to be honest with you. But I'd be open to suggestions.

Have you looked at the new TLX. I drove one the other day and if was fantastic.

Edit: Forgot you wanted awd.

Is the Lexus IS to small?

I hadn't considered the Lexus IS, though my wife's family is all about the Lexus/Toyota family. I have read some not-so-great reviews about the engine in those cars.

I'd have to look into crossovers a bit more....I'm not excited about them to be honest with you. But I'd be open to suggestions.

I hadn't considered the Lexus IS, though my wife's family is all about the Lexus/Toyota family. I have read some not-so-great reviews about the engine in those cars.

Weird. Is the same 4 and 6 cylinders they use in every one of their vehicles. Check it out. It's a little smaller but a solid car and awd.

Weird. Is the same 4 and 6 cylinders they use in every one of their vehicles. Check it out. It's a little smaller but a solid car and awd.

The IS only has a 6-cylinder engine that is underpowered compared to other competitors that have 4 cylinders in their cars. Supposedly a turbo 4-cylinder is coming to that line, but not until model year 2016.

The IS only has a 6-cylinder engine that is underpowered compared to other competitors that have 4 cylinders in their cars. Supposedly a turbo 4-cylinder is coming to that line, but not until model year 2016.

Edit: Apparently this model year they changed, didn't even know. The 250 is a small 6. You are correct. Wonder why the hell they did that.

Ive put 3000kms on the preowned Acura TL I just bought and so far I love the thing.
Just drove through the mountains all evening up to the Interior and the car just tore it up while getting great mileage.

Reliability... "check!"
I still own a 98 Integra and 93 Accord (180,000 miles on each) and have no thoughts of buying. The Integra especially is in really nice shape. The Accord's paint is faded on the hood but she runs like a champ. Probably get a new car within the next year or two though. I've been spoiled for years not having car payments. More money for golf! We'll see. I really like the new TLX. Nice combo of the TSX & TL, which are being discontinued for the TLX model. I do agree that the entire line is missing the wow factor.

I have 230k on my '00 explorer. All this talk about imports. I just got an '02 explorer but the old one is still kicking. Used is where it's at IMO.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Back