The Car Shopping Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have car threads, truck threads, mini van threads and even specific maker threads. It was time for the car shopping thread. There are some very wise people on THP that can assist when wanted and tons going through it all the time.

Bought a new 2014 Ford Mustang last week. V6, with 305 hp, auto, silver metallic gray. I had a 2005 GT Mustang and always regretted getting rid of it. This V6 has more hp than my 2005 GT did. End of model year, Ford X Plan discount and $3K rebate for paying cash resulted in an out the door price of $25K. Love the rear wheel drive and the exhaust sound a Mustang makes when accelerating.

Usually car buying is easy for me thanks to having a dad who is retired GM employee, brother currently working for them and uncles who retired from Ford. I was going through this process last year and after having a car of some sort for 7 years I wanted to get back in a 4x4.

i was between F-150 (including the Raptor just wasn't willing to pay $50k for a pickup), the Silverado and. 4 door Wrangler. After a few weeks of contemplating I bought the Wrangler and love it. When not buying GM or Ford products I use online sites for research, pricing and purchasing. I will get offers from several dealers and then email them all back with what the best offer received is and see if any of them will beat it

I'm all over the place.

Was pondering leasing a van, down payment would be offset by my beater trade in but not a fan of another 3k in fees and taxes to rent a car for 3 years.

So back scouring the used options.

• Admin
I'm all over the place.

Was pondering leasing a van, down payment would be offset by my beater trade in but not a fan of another 3k in fees and taxes to rent a car for 3 years.

So back scouring the used options.

You want to take over our lease?

• Admin
Sure...pull it up with the tour van

I was being serious...We got ours for a reason, that reason is no longer valid due to his condition.

Send me the details won't rule anything out now

Great idea for a thread, we just traded in the Titan for a new Altima and Sentra lol, I got the stuck with the sentra haha. I think guys in the know can save a ton of heartache by sharing that info here, God know I could have used it.

Usually car buying is easy for me thanks to having a dad who is retired GM employee, brother currently working for them and uncles who retired from Ford. I was going through this process last year and after having a car of some sort for 7 years I wanted to get back in a 4x4.

i was between F-150 (including the Raptor just wasn't willing to pay $50k for a pickup), the Silverado and. 4 door Wrangler. After a few weeks of contemplating I bought the Wrangler and love it. When not buying GM or Ford products I use online sites for research, pricing and purchasing. I will get offers from several dealers and then email them all back with what the best offer received is and see if any of them will beat it

My dad picked up a new Wrangler Unlimited a few months ago, he's like a kid again. He is constantly trying to decide what his next mod is.

I'm driving a 2001 Honda Accord right now and getting the itch for a new car. Thinking that I'm going to have to go all-wheel-drive with my next vehicle because I now live in a place where we have to drive up a significant hill to get there, and because I have a job where I still have to be there even when the snow is really bad. The new Subaru Legacy is intriguing to me, but if that one doesn't work, I might have to move up to the AWD luxury category (BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, etc). Before anyone says it: wife doesn't want an SUV or crossover type vehicle.

I'm just waiting for the Tesla Model 3 at this point.

Would gladly give input to potential buyers, not one to toot my own horn but I do extremely well when purchasing new cars, yet to be upside down when trading in. I now deal strictly through email(little more difficult if trading though) if I know what I want, easy to get straight to the point and avoid the dealers sales pitches.

I'm driving a 2001 Honda Accord right now and getting the itch for a new car. Thinking that I'm going to have to go all-wheel-drive with my next vehicle because I now live in a place where we have to drive up a significant hill to get there, and because I have a job where I still have to be there even when the snow is really bad. The new Subaru Legacy is intriguing to me, but if that one doesn't work, I might have to move up to the AWD luxury category (BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, etc). Before anyone says it: wife doesn't want an SUV or crossover type vehicle.

I have always liked the Legacy. I bought a 328 late last year, and 17k miles in and I love everything about it.

Last year I bought a 2013 Ram pickup for 22k after rebates. After a job change and driving much more miles a day, I traded it in in June for a 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel. Cool thing is I got more for my trade in then I even paid for the truck lol. Payment went down and I'm getting 43mpg compared to 18mpg :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

My wife and I both need new cars, and we're planning on purchasing summer/fall 2015 once I'm done with my MBA since that's where all the spare money's been going the past few years. We're both driving cars from pre-2004 (I've got a Saturn and she has a Corolla) and are crossing our fingers nothing happens to either car over the next 12 months.

Boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.

She's probably going to try and stay with Toyota, possibly a Prius as that's what both of her parents have and she enjoys driving them. Her commute is almost all highway. I'd prefer to go back to a small SUV or crossover, I had an Explorer for a number of years and I really miss the ability to load/move things. I'm thinking something like the Ford Escape. But we'll see what our budgets are come next year.

After driving one in Las Vegas last year, I'm really thinking about getting a Dodge Charger as my next vehicle (maybe next year when I can find a '15 slightly used). So sick of my 07 Sonata after driving it for 8 years now. Really trying to wait until we are able to pay off our van first so that we only have one payment (or have a small enough amount to roll/combine it into the new loan).

Last year I bought a 2013 Ram pickup for 22k after rebates. After a job change and driving much more miles a day, I traded it in in June for a 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel. Cool thing is I got more for my trade in then I even paid for the truck lol. Payment went down and I'm getting 43mpg compared to 18mpg :).

I really hope those diesel cruzes sell well, I want more diesel options in our market.

I really hope those diesel cruzes sell well, I want more diesel options in our market.

I am totally amazed at myself that I haven't put gasoline in it yet lol.

Subscribing to this one. In the market for a truck at the end of this year and right now it's between the new Tundra or wait to see the new 2015 F150.

Subscribing to this one. In the market for a truck at the end of this year and right now it's between the new Tundra or wait to see the new 2015 F150.

The new F150 looks sooooooo good!

The Tundras reliability is nice, but it is just so far behind all if it's much newer competition these days.

The Tundras reliability is nice, but it is just so far behind all if it's much newer competition these days.

That's the main reason I want it. I can run it 200k plus miles with confidence & that's pretty nice, but agree some of the others have better convenience options.

re: Audi - I love the cars, but they are AWFUL to own, even if you buy new. Electrical system is full of gremlins. I owned an Audi years ago, loved driving it, hated owning it. Three people I am friends with currently all have Audi's (A4, A7, A8) and two of them hate their cars - gonna get rid of them as soon as they can. The A7 guy got his because his convertible Audi (not sure what model) stopped closing completely. His car is about a year old, and he hasn't had any problems YET.

re: Audi - I love the cars, but they are AWFUL to own, even if you buy new. Electrical system is full of gremlins. I owned an Audi years ago, loved driving it, hated owning it. Three people I am friends with currently all have Audi's (A4, A7, A8) and two of them hate their cars - gonna get rid of them as soon as they can. The A7 guy got his because his convertible Audi (not sure what model) stopped closing completely. His car is about a year old, and he hasn't had any problems YET.

I was under the impression that the last year or so that stuff had been worked out. I'd be interested to hear Jrod's input on that.

Back