The Car Shopping Thread

Still got the hard ponder going on over here for the new Ford Bronco when it comes out. If it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, I'll likely go with an Explorer, Grand Cherokee, or some other SUV/hatchback that lights a fire for me.
Same here. Almost definitely going for the 2 door Bronco unless it's hideous, which I really doubt it will be. Kid is off to college in the fall, so I don't need the 4d anymore. If for some reason I don't like it, probably going to go with a midsize pickup.

The fit and finish is really nice. I'm not 100% sold on suspension and drivetrain, but i also don't drive it much and could probably tweek some settings that would help. It seems to be a nice middle ground between the performance of the BMW and comfort of the mercedes. Value wasnt there for porsche. We did not look at lexus options. Avoided landrover.

thanks, that’s great info. I Need to go drive some stuff when the snow clears.

Anyone have an Audi Q7? Or any other alternative luxury SUV?
Have owned a 2013 A4 and now own a 2016 Q5 with the same motor as the Q7 (3.0T). The newer 2016+ Q7's have the updated exterior/interior with digital cockpit and the nicer newer finishes. Third row seating is nice if you have a big family, am thinking of getting my wife into a Q7 when she's looking for a new ride. As with all German luxury makes, stay on top of scheduled maintenance and find a local independent Euro shop to get some reprieve from dealer prices. The 3.0T engine is one of the best Audi has made in the past decade and is relatively trouble free, only thing that usually needs premature replacing is water pump/t stat/oil separator. Other than that, they are known for longevity and reliability.

Why in the H*** do these dealers continue to play the shady and slimy car salesmen games from the 70's, even today in 2020?

All I want to do is give them my money for a car, its a simple D*** transaction!

Why in the H*** do these dealers continue to play the shady and slimy car salesmen games from the 70's, even today in 2020?
All I want to do is give them my money for a car, its a simple D*** transaction!
At least in my area, I have found more and more car dealerships do the opposite and are pretty up front with their prices etc. If you have the time, shop around or even buy outside of your area to find a dealer that you feel more comfortable with.

It must be the surrounding Chicagoland area that still operates like this?

One example, I drove a bit over an hour outside of Chicago for a deal that was pretty much done over email, all I needed to do was take a quick final test drive, sign papers and be done. Only to arrive and they start with the BS. First one was I don't qualify for all the incentives to get the price AGREED upon. Trade in now magically $1,500 less. Manager was about 15 seconds away from a broken nose, decided it wasn't worth it and walked out. (younger CJ would have had to call for bail).

Another example, You do the stupid dance back-n-forth for way to long, agree, then the finance department plays their games. You know the extra random add-ons that they hope people miss. the $2,000 finance fee, vin etching for $2,000, $700 for random floormats, or the 1980's "undercoating spray" bs. The best one I have had is them saying they will match my banks financing, ready to sign and roll only for them to try and screw with the rate and extend the months of payments. I am not a subprime loan rolling in negative equtiy trade-in, I have 800+ credit and will only finance as long as the bumper to bumper warranty (36-46 months). Oh and don't get me started with the advertised online price bulldung they do. That's a whole 'notha rant I can go on.

For the past 2-3 years I have been trying to buy a car, these dealerships are making it too hard with the games they pull. Now at this point I am on a short fuse, and I walk at the first sign of shady tactics. I am not trying to get the "deal of the year", or am I unreasonable, just trying not to get ripped off.

I think I will just go used and buy from carmax. The $1,000-$2,000 higher price is worth the time and lower blood pressure.

Would be nice if Carvana or Vroom sold new cars. I just can't buy a used one without 1-2 test drives.

Anyone got opinions on the Lincoln MKX?

I am not an SUV/truck guy, I have only been looking at cars. But the kid at carmax recommended I test drive the MKX. He was right it was freakishly quiet and smooth. I don't know anything about Lincoln or know anyone with one, so looking for some opinions on them.

I am not an SUV/truck guy, I have only been looking at cars. But the kid at carmax recommended I test drive the MKX. He was right it was freakishly quiet and smooth. I don't know anything about Lincoln or know anyone with one, so looking for some opinions on them.

Not sure he's had a MKX, but I know @JB is a big Lincoln guy.

I believe the MKX is based off the Ford Edge platform. I had my wife test drive both a few years back when she was shopping, while it was a "nice" vehicle unless it was very close to pricing for a similar Edge I wouldn't spend a premium on it.

I believe the MKX is based off the Ford Edge platform. I had my wife test drive both a few years back when she was shopping, while it was a "nice" vehicle unless it was very close to pricing for a similar Edge I wouldn't spend a premium on it.

Thank you for the heads up, SUV's have never been on the radar so I didn't know about it being a fancied up Edge. I will take a look at that one too.

I am in a search for the quietest car. So far I have found the Kia Cadenza freakishly quieter than most Mercedes, the MkX seemed even quieter than that.

Thank you for the heads up, SUV's have never been on the radar so I didn't know about it being a fancied up Edge. I will take a look at that one too.

I am in a search for the quietest car. So far I have found the Kia Cadenza freakishly quieter than most Mercedes, the MkX seemed even quieter than that.
test drove the cadenza, man it was nice driver.

I have an MKC I am quite fond of. Its got a nice blend of technology and comfort.

I also think that a "quiet" vehicle has a lot to do with the size of rims/tires. Every manufacturer is trying to put larger and larger wheel packages which also tend to have lower profile tires that project a bit more road noise. I will say that cars in general have better sound dampening no matter what you buy, it's not like your buying a car from the 1990's with a lot of rattles/squeaks.

test drove the cadenza, man it was nice driver.

What did you end up going with?

I have an MKC I am quite fond of. Its got a nice blend of technology and comfort.

How are your feelings on reliability?

I also think that a "quiet" vehicle has a lot to do with the size of rims/tires. Every manufacturer is trying to put larger and larger wheel packages which also tend to have lower profile tires that project a bit more road noise. I will say that cars in general have better sound dampening no matter what you buy, it's not like your buying a car from the 1990's with a lot of rattles/squeaks.

I was just in the passenger seat of my buddy's 2019 Subaru Outback on the highway, at about 60 mph the wind and road noise was bad and at around 75mph was just unbecoming of even a vehicle from the 90's. No squeaks, rattles or vibration, just brutal wind and tire noise which shocked me for a new car. I agree on the low profile tires messing up the ride comfort and noise comfort.

What did you end up going with?

How are your feelings on reliability?

I was just in the passenger seat of my buddy's 2019 Subaru Outback on the highway, at about 60 mph the wind and road noise was bad and at around 75mph was just unbecoming of even a vehicle from the 90's. No squeaks, rattles or vibration, just brutal wind and tire noise which shocked me for a new car. I agree on the low profile tires messing up the ride comfort and noise comfort.

48K miles so far and only normal routine maintenance.

48K miles so far and only normal routine maintenance.

Nice!

Majority of cars mechanically are solid for years and many miles. It seems the new tech is what is causing reliability issues.

Majority of cars mechanically are solid for years and many miles. It seems the new tech is what is causing reliability issues.
Yea I also tend to think that most people do not understand proper maintenance schedules. Also preventative maintenance is huge, doing things before they need to be done will go a long way.

We are waiting for the new Genesis GV80 SUV to come out this summer for the wife. Her C350 is 5 years old so it's time to sell it.

We are waiting for the new Genesis GV80 SUV to come out this summer for the wife. Her C350 is 5 years old so it's time to sell it.
Sweet ride! Genesis GV80??

I'm also looking at that ride. Currently have a BMW X5 M Sport. I have been very lucky with this vehicle with ZERO issues during my 5 year ownership. Two things I probably won't miss is the big twin turbo V8, and staggered tire set-up. Great car but the gas mileage is just not there. I've probably outgrown my need for speed, so something more civilized is desirable.

Changed my mind on the Cybertruck. Decided instead on a Model Y.

I'm also looking at that ride. Currently have a BMW X5 M Sport. I have been very lucky with this vehicle with ZERO issues during my 5 year ownership. Two things I probably won't miss is the big twin turbo V8, and staggered tire set-up. Great car but the gas mileage is just not there. I've probably outgrown my need for speed, so something more civilized is desirable.
I mean did you expect a TT V8 motor to get "good" gas mileage? Staggered tire setups on SUV's are mostly for looks (Macan does the same thing). You can always go to a square setup to be able to rotate tires etc. easier.

Ok, so I've posted here before that I'm pondering the new Ford Bronco when it hits the street. Now, I'm so bored sitting here at work waiting to contract COVID-19 that I'm researching compact SUVs to compare to it. I know I'm probably looking more along the lines of the Bronco Sport (if that's what they call it), but I'm not 100% set on the 2 door or 4 door just yet so I'm open to lots of choices.

Wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with either the Cadillac XT4, BMW X1, or Audi Q3. Specs look fairly close on them. Won't say which way I'm leaning (amongst these three), but figured I'd get some advice here first.

Back