This chili talk makes me want to have some chicken chili here at work. Yum!

When it gets cool in Dallas area, some real texas chili will certainly be on the stove.

I love crockpot liners, they make cleaning up so much easier. Rather than soaking and scrubbing for days, I remove the liner and do a minimal soak after, saves so much time and energy.
Yeah, scrubbing caked on food from slow cooker is brutal on the elbows. :dohanim:

2ac3086cd3e9c623b0a6f0c5e5e0b30c.jpg

First batch of the season. Went simple with ground beef and tried Trader Joe’s roasted, diced tomatoes to speed things up and they are pretty good addition for being in a hurry.

This 10* northeast weather has me craving chili. I miss the days pre covid of competing in chili competitions. (usually a week before or after the Sb is when I competed in one about 8 times)....

I'm a big fan of pulled pork chili with White Alabama sauce.

Who is making a batch this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I made a fantastic venison chili last weekend. Going to do pulled pork this weekend. Was possibly the best chili I've ever made. Recipe I found was just spot on.

Great timing and bump! Taking out meat to make some tonight!

Took first place at the local hospital's chili cookoff today! I made a pot of beef chili with beans, using ground brisket and chunks of sirloin. Always perusing recipes & methods for making improvements. In this kind of general public competition you can't get too much heat or people will be afraid. Went with a high heat brown on the hamburger and sirloin, the key being to work in small batches so the skillet maintains heat. Deglazed the skillet with beef broth and added fish sauce, soy sauce, & some cocoa powder which I set aside then added to the pot when it called for the beef broth to be added. I used a mix of chili powders. 1/2 McCormick's regular, 1/4 chipotle & 1/4 ancho. Other basic seasonings. I did use some specialty ground pepper stuff I had from a gift pack a few months ago. Sauteed yellow onion, orange bell pepper & a little celery all small diced. Spread those things to edge of the pot and threw the seasoning mix in the middle. I had read that heating the seasoning in a little oil really gets the flavors to open up. Added some minced jalapeno (about half a habanero as well) & garlic. Then tomato paste which also went directly to the pot's bottom surface to get it cooking. A large can of crushed tomatoes, then all the seared & cooked meat went in. Added the umami broth and the rest of the quart of beef broth. I always fill the cans & broth container with water, enough to get all the good stuff into the pot. Another key is bringing things along kinda slow so the heat maintains thru the process. Brought it to a pretty good simmer for most of an hour then turned down to medium low. A can of black beans, rinsed & a can of spicy chili beans, drained. Added a short pour of honey and thickened it up with a few teaspoons of masa. Turned out great & now I can call it "award winning"...

Gonna drop this in here as it's legit the best chili I've ever made...a little involved but not too bad. I've used both hamburger and venison burger to great effect, and like spicy Italian for the sausage. I also found doubling the cayenne gave a nice level of heat.

I love crockpot liners, they make cleaning up so much easier. Rather than soaking and scrubbing for days, I remove the liner and do a minimal soak after, saves so much time and energy.

Sounds like cook in bags for poultry! Whatever cut down on the mess is a good idea!

I'm on a scout, should be done pretty soon. Wife just sent me this.

View attachment 9080122

I'm so excited- I have turned down drinks with my crew just so I can rush home to chili!

That looks a little light in color for chili, but what really matters is how it tastes! Let us know!

That looks a little light in color for chili, but what really matters is how it tastes! Let us know!

When I look up chili in the dictionary it fails to mention color. Guess I'll have to call them.

*also this was like 10 minutes after the pot was on the stove.

Last edited:
I only know how my chili looks when I am done witth it. It is much darker than that. I suppose that it must be because of the future weather conditions!

Making chili is super easy and healthier. Less fat, less sodium, and to me it tastes better. Just dump a couple cans rinsed pinto beans, meat of choice, can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, choice of vegetables, and some chili powder into a slow cooker for a few hours.

First batch of Chili for the fall/winter in the Instant Pot!

Back