The Cleveland Indians have changed their name…

Are the statues on the bridge not known as the Guardians of Traffic?

they were originally designed as Guardians of traffic.......and have since been known as th Guardians of the City

For those wondering.......these are the Bridge Guardians right next to the Stadium. Theyre actually really cool.....

A baseball team name....meh.

tumblr_pyripoKIKE1sgr76qo1_1280.jpg

Nothing says Cleveland like a voice over from Tom Hanks

He started his entire professional acting career here....and is quite the Indians Fan. (cough cough) Guardians fan.

About 6 months ago, The Athletic did a big tournament/vote for fans that incorporated around 300 potential names. The winner? Guardians. It's popular among Clevelanders.
thank you, did not know that. so the fans are the ones that picked that terrible name.

Last edited:
they were originally designed as Guardians of traffic.......and have since been known as th Guardians of the City
Weird, the wikipedia page for the Hope Memorial Bridge only refers to them as Guardians of Traffic

Also contains this somewhat funny quote from a county engineer that wanted to tear them down :LOL: - "Those columns are monstrosities and should be torn down and forgotten. There is nothing particularly historic about any one of them. "

Weird, the wikipedia page for the Hope Memorial Bridge only refers to them as Guardians of Traffic
Cause wikipedia is usually right :rolleyes:🤣🤣

Nothing says Cleveland like a voice over from Tom Hanks
Tom Hanks got his start in Cleveland and the Black Keys are from Akron (essentially the Cleveland area). I'm guessing that's why they had those two featured in the video.

Tom Hanks got his start in Cleveland and the Black Keys are from Akron (essentially the Cleveland area). I'm guessing that's why they had those two featured in the video.

So like most they left? :ROFLMAO:
True story, The Villages has more people from OH than any other state. Odd, but true.

Also contains this somewhat funny quote from a county engineer that wanted to tear them down :LOL: - "Those columns are monstrosities and should be torn down and forgotten. There is nothing particularly historic about any one of them. "

I've heard Guardians of Traffic and Guardians of Transportation. Not sure the official name, but it makes sense since they're all holding different vehicles.

I have no issue with the name change, but I'm offended by the fact that people who had YEARS, and make way more money than I do, came up with.. this. I really hope ticket prices who l will not reflect the naming effort.

True story, The Villages has more people from OH than any other state. Odd, but true.
It's funny...when you said earlier that they should have moved to Miami where all the Clevelanders are, I was going to respond to it with "I thought they were all in The Villages" but got distracted by another post. :ROFLMAO:

Cleveland's a great place to live and the summers are incredible (when not overrun by midges). But job opportunities (like myself) and the winter weather (retirees) sends a lot of people elsewhere. What you'll find is that former Clevelanders don't change their loyalty nearly as much as most other cities...if you ever watch a Cleveland Browns or Indians road game, there are more road fans than most teams just because so many Clevelanders are dispersed but still follow the teams.

Don't hate it, think the logo could be improved QUITE A BIT. There is history there and it isn't any stupider than most team names.

I say this as someone who has no preference one way or the other, but who grew up watching/quoting Major League so I have some small piece in my heart that loves the Cleveland baseball franchise whatever it is called.

Flaming-Rivers

See, that's ^ the first thing I think of when I think of Cleveland. And it's in the opening song to to Major League, so it'll always be the first thing I think of.

Could be worse, could be better. The G wing logo doesn't look good. I was hoping they'd bring back the Naps nickname.

and also the highest STD rate in the country

correlation .. causation? WHO KNOWS!?

and also the highest STD rate in the country

correlation .. causation? WHO KNOWS!?

FWIW, that is not the case, but the headline that made news when a poorly done documentary was made.

I feel better now, but my Indian heritage side doesn’t give 2 schits.

Why not the Cleveland Chippewa’s? Or just the Chips? That tribe was in Ohio before the pale face killed them.

1627062817526.jpeg
So what happens to this?

Back