The Cleveland Indians have changed their name…

I guess what is really confusing to me is that, I thought when you named something or someone after something you was honoring that person. How many schools are named after former presidents? How many streets in the US are named after MLK Jr? How many football stadiums are named after former coaches? I could go on and on

I mean are the people of India really this upset about a baseball team in Cleveland named the Indians? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So it came it at 97?? Ok call me impressed. I would not have considered it. Mostly because of location in the country. Perhaps because of where I live it’s not a consideration. Latter is most likely. I need coastal.
You do know that Cleveland has lots of beaches, with a shallow enough lake that it's pretty warm, and is also wide enough with waves that if someone didn't know where they were, they'd think it was the ocean?

You do know that Cleveland has lots of beaches, with a shallow enough lake that it's pretty warm, and is also wide enough with waves that if someone didn't know where they were, they'd think it was the ocean?
Nope I didn’t.

I guess what is really confusing to me is that, I thought when you named something after someone or something you was honoring that person. How many schools are named after former presidents? How many streets in the US are named after MLK Jr? How many football stadiums are named after former coaches? I could go on and on

I mean are the people of India really this upset about a baseball team in Cleveland named the Indians? 🤷‍♂️
:oops:.......wrong Indians........

wahoo.gif

For a team with a cool name, I won't be choosing the Cleveland Guardians. I'll pick the Rocket City Trash Pandas.:LOL:

Did anyone ask Harry Doyle for his input?

Guardians
Thoughts?

other options included:
Spiders
Buzzards
Municipals
Naps
Baseball Team

all of them have significant historical meaning minus the last one lol

Hey, anything is better than, "Indians". (y)

EDCED82E-E691-47AC-9178-BF888A1371D4.jpeg

I mourn for the City of Cleveland and the Cleveland Indians. I grew up with the Cleveland Indians. They sucked when I was a child. But then they got good and I remember the politically incorrect nightmare of a World Series when they played against the Atlanta Braves. I watched every single game. It was the highlight of my baseball viewing life. What a series.

But in homage to the great Cleveland Indians, I can only give you this from Major League.... God I miss the '80s.

Guardians
Thoughts?

other options included:
Spiders
Buzzards
Municipals
Naps
Baseball Team

All this name change stuff has gone a little too far.
People
Need to stop being overly sensitive. This “let’s give everybody a trophy” BS is enough already. You need to teach kids that not everything is easy, and sometimes you need to work for it.
Name change because people MIGHT be offended is over the top.
Redskins
Indians
What next? What about Raiders? What about Buccaneers? What about Pirates? How bout …. What’s next?
we need to stop pandering to all the special interest groups, and start concerning ourselves with the BIGGER social issues, Americans being killed by handguns! Cyber security, and other social political controversies!Names of sports teams is low hangin fruit

All this name change stuff has gone a little too far.
People
Need to stop being overly sensitive. This “let’s give everybody a trophy” BS is enough already. You need to teach kids that not everything is easy, and sometimes you need to work for it.
Name change because people MIGHT be offended is over the top.
Redskins
Indians
What next? What about Raiders? What about Buccaneers? What about Pirates? How bout …. What’s next?
we need to stop pandering to all the special interest groups, and start concerning ourselves with the BIGGER social issues, Americans being killed by handguns! Cyber security, and other social political controversies!Names of sports teams is low hangin fruit
What does changing a baseball team's name have to do with participation trophies?

I would have called them the Cleveland Rocks. You got all the history there, not a fan of but the rock hall is there, shares a name with the Ian hunter song. You can get Drew Carey there to throw the first pitch out every year. They could have played the song and have the whole stadium singing along before each game.
Logo could have been a rock playing a guitar with sunglasses on.

I would have called them the Cleveland Rocks. You got all the history there, not a fan of but the rock hall is there, shares a name with the Ian hunter song. You can get Drew Carey there to throw the first pitch out every year. They could have played the song and have the whole stadium singing along before each game.
Logo could have been a rock playing a guitar with sunglasses on.

And I looked up stuff that has to do with the geographic area. Example the Tacoma Rainiers, the minor league team for Tacoma is near Mt Rainier. Okay. Fine. So I looked up Cleveland. It's on the Cuyahoga River. Whoops, that's an American Indian name meaning crooked. And there were about 50 different tribes that moved into the region. And there's the Cuyahoga National Park nearby. So there's a deep connection to N.A. history in that region, hence probably naming the baseball team "Indians."

But now since we're erasing history and reminders of history no matter how uncomfortable they might be, the name gets changed. "Guardians." Guardians has no connection to anything. It's politically correct. It inspires nothing. What are they guarding? Baseball teams don't guard anything. I think the name sucks. Named after the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? The Rockers? That would have worked.... but Guardians? Seriously?

Not a fan liked Spiders or Municipals better.

And I looked up stuff that has to do with the geographic area. Example the Tacoma Rainiers, the minor league team for Tacoma is near Mt Rainier. Okay. Fine. So I looked up Cleveland. It's on the Cuyahoga River. Whoops, that's an American Indian name meaning crooked. And there were about 50 different tribes that moved into the region. And there's the Cuyahoga National Park nearby. So there's a deep connection to N.A. history in that region, hence probably naming the baseball team "Indians."

But now since we're erasing history and reminders of history no matter how uncomfortable they might be, the name gets changed. "Guardians." Guardians has no connection to anything. It's politically correct. It inspires nothing. What are they guarding? Baseball teams don't guard anything. I think the name sucks. Named after the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? The Rockers? That would have worked.... but Guardians? Seriously?

I think things like Rocks and Rockers were considered, but ultimately nixed because of the similarity of the name to Colorado Rockies.

I would have thought Spiders, but I like Guardians, and there’s plenty of articles online the mention the connection of the name to the city.

The logo and colors however… 🤮

Guardians
Thoughts?

other options included:
Spiders
Buzzards
Municipals
Naps
Baseball Team

A city of "fire and water". Was that a joke about the Cuyahoga River Fire of 1969 that ushered in the US EPA and the Clean Water Act?

why don't they leave these things up to the fans? we are the ones buying all their crap. have the fans vote on the name.
Because then you wind up with Baseball McBaseface or some other stupid sh*t.

Last edited:
FWIW, that is not the case, but the headline that made news when a poorly done documentary was made.

Oh I'm aware but it's always funny to toss out there :D

For a team with a cool name, I won't be choosing the Cleveland Guardians. I'll pick the Rocket City Trash Pandas.:LOL:
In Huntsville, AL ...

This is totally on brand for Cleveland...

Rut roh already. Turns out there’s already a team named the Cleveland Guardians - the city’s roller derby team, and they own the website clevelandguardians.com.

9F3B6D18-E873-4F2F-9C88-E2DED0A48050.jpeg

You’d think the baseball team would have done their research before jumping - I mean, how long would it have taken to Google “Cleveland Guardians”? 🤣

Rut roh already. Turns out there’s already a team named the Cleveland Guardians - the city’s roller derby team, and they own the website clevelandguardians.com.

View attachment 9018990

You’d think the baseball team would have done their research before jumping - I mean, how long would it have taken to Google “Cleveland Guardians”? 🤣
I'm willing to bet they won't have to worry about finding a sponsor 😁. Either mlb will pay them enough they can't say no, or... they drag them through court until they run out of money to fight. Either case, mlb wins.

Personally, it could have been worse.... I know they use to be the spiders but I am so glad they didn't go back to that. I don't mind Guardians.... I like how they can make the name similar looking on jerseys to Indians. It has some awkward to the bridge so it isn't like it is out of nowhere. I will say the logo needs some tweaking.

The other name that I like that had a tie to the city really well in my opinion was The Cleveland Rockers...... with having the rock and roll hall of fame. and it flows.

I could see the Rockers as a tribute to the Rock n Roll HOF.

Back