The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

I have a stiff in mine and I still love it.

Absolutely ridiculous how easy* this club is to hit. Now I wish they came out with a 2. I have huge issues elevating woods and even hybrids. But this thing goes really really hard for me so I think I can handle a 2+

Any ideas if they will expand the line?

EDIT: *easy to hit, not "wash"

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculous how wash this club is to hit. Now I wish they came out with a 2. I have huge issues elevating woods and even hybrids. But this thing goes really really hard for me so I think I can handle a 2+

Any ideas if they will expand the line?

Not sure. But, the line is already pretty wide with hybrids 3+ to 6 and woods 3,5 and 7.

Hi, Newbie here. You guys have me convinced. Looking at changing my long clubs and putting this in instead of both my 4 wood and 3 hybrid. With no where local to try the club I would have to take a punt and stuck between the regular and stiff shafts. Which according to my swing speed I am on the border. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi, Newbie here. You guys have me convinced. Looking at changing my long clubs and putting this in instead of both my 4 wood and 3 hybrid. With no where local to try the club I would have to take a punt and stuck between the regular and stiff shafts. Which according to my swing speed I am on the border. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I am a stiff shaft in all my clubs. I auditioned a Hy-Wood at my local course. They only had regular shaft in stock. I hit that thing so well I bought it on the spot. I just make sure to take a nice easy swing and it performs admirably. I don't think I could hit it any better if it had a stiff shaft. Buy the regular and swing easy.

Thanks

They play lighter and softer. I would error on the stiff shafts.

Everyone, and every swing is different. There is no right answer, @Wisey10 needs to find out for himself which flex is best..
I remember when you got your Halo irons, and how much trouble you had adjusting to what felt like a softer shaft.
On the other hand, I was told I close to the edge between Senior and regular and I would be fine with the regular flex. Since it was unlikely I’d get stronger and faster with my SS, and I certainly wasn’t getting younger,I went with the Senior. My thinking was if they felt whippy I’d just continue playing my PXG for a while longer.
It was my second time around with the Halo’s and I now knew this was the set I’d always keep around… they’re perfect for a Senior player.
Here’s what’s funny… my back has been feeling better than it has in years and as a result, my swing HAS gotten faster. I’m still using the Senior flex Cyphers, in both the Hy-wood and the Halos, and they’re working very well. My PXGs have MMT shafts which are supposed to play stiffer to flex, and I’m hooking them off the planet when I try to step on them. 🤷‍♂️

I am a stiff shaft in all my clubs. I auditioned a Hy-Wood at my local course. They only had regular shaft in stock. I hit that thing so well I bought it on the spot. I just make sure to take a nice easy swing and it performs admirably. I don't think I could hit it any better if it had a stiff shaft. Buy the regular and swing easy.
Thanks for the advice, have located a Sxrixon fitting centre and have reached out to see if they fit the club. If not I will probably take a punt and can always have it reshafted if it isn't right. Thanks :)

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that's where my head was going. Changing a few clubs in my bag at the moment and whilst I play stiff shafts in my Driver and rescues I have been testing regular five Ping hybrid from my club pro and it is really good apart from the odd whippy pull left if I really go after it. Pro thinks I'm inbetween the Reg and Stiff but its a demo club and I would have to wait until the new stock to replace it.

Everyone, and every swing is different. There is no right answer, @Wisey10 needs to find out for himself which flex is best..
I remember when you got your Halo irons, and how much trouble you had adjusting to what felt like a softer shaft.
On the other hand, I was told I close to the edge between Senior and regular and I would be fine with the regular flex. Since it was unlikely I’d get stronger and faster with my SS, and I certainly wasn’t getting younger,I went with the Senior. My thinking was if they felt whippy I’d just continue playing my PXG for a while longer.
It was my second time around with the Halo’s and I now knew this was the set I’d always keep around… they’re perfect for a Senior player.
Here’s what’s funny… my back has been feeling better than it has in years and as a result, my swing HAS gotten faster. I’m still using the Senior flex Cyphers, in both the Hy-wood and the Halos, and they’re working very well. My PXGs have MMT shafts which are supposed to play stiffer to flex, and I’m hooking them off the planet when I try to step on them. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I agree. May have found a way of testing one and waiting for a reply from a fitting Centre. I think shafts make a big difference hence the hesitation in taking a punt on one or the other. The club is at a great price point and having a shaft fit to the club after purchase might not be the end of the world.

Good call @SC LEFTY, one needs to test it out for themselves or go with their own gut. It took me a year to get used to the senior shafts and now they are fine. As you indicated, as a Sr golfer, I knew I would grow into them.

Yeah, I agree. May have found a way of testing one and waiting for a reply from a fitting Centre. I think shafts make a big difference hence the hesitation in taking a punt on one or the other. The club is at a great price point and having a shaft fit to the club after purchase might not be the end of the world.
If you're near the North West then the Srixon Centre of Excellence at Hartford Golf Club is excellent. I've demoed the Hywood there and loved it. They'll fit as well.

If you're near the North West then the Srixon Centre of Excellence at Hartford Golf Club is excellent. I've demoed the Hywood there and loved it. They'll fit as well.
Thank you. I’ve reached out to the South Scriabin fitting centre at Hertmere. It’s actually about 40 mins from where I work luckily enough. Waiting for a response but will report how I get on.

Thank you. I’ve reached out to the South Scriabin fitting centre at Hertmere. It’s actually about 40 mins from where I work luckily enough. Waiting for a response but will report how I get on.

Global Golf has a 30 day playability guarantee. You get a full refund, as a credit towards another purchase.

Global Golf has a 30 day playability guarantee. You get a full refund, as a credit towards another purchase.

I think he lives over the pond, not here in the U.S.
That said PGASS offers the same guarantee, only they give you 90 days. I’d look at Golf Galaxy/DSG also to see what their policy Is.

Thanks for this I really appreciate you taking the time to share. Have managed to secure a fitting at
the Srixon centre of excellence near where I work. They have them and will put the fitting cost against any clubs I purchase.

Thanks for this I really appreciate you taking the time to share. Have managed to secure a fitting at
the Srixon centre of excellence near where I work. They have them and will put the fitting cost against any clubs I purchase.
Let us know how it goes.

I was early to bang the drum for the Hy-wood, but we've hit a bit of a rough patch. I'm not sure what the situation is, but I've been struggling with it hooking it off the deck and the tee. It's frustrating because I have the Halo Hybrid 4H which I'm hitting great right now. I used to feel equally confident with both of them. But I can't seem to find my groove with the Hy-wood on the range or course.

Especially frustrating because I'm playing my best golf of the year right now but struggle with that one club.

If you're out of ideas on the range, maybe try getting onto a simulator that shows your impact stats like swing path and face angle to help diagnose what's going on.

I was early to bang the drum for the Hy-wood, but we've hit a bit of a rough patch. I'm not sure what the situation is, but I've been struggling with it hooking it off the deck and the tee. It's frustrating because I have the Halo Hybrid 4H which I'm hitting great right now. I used to feel equally confident with both of them. But I can't seem to find my groove with the Hy-wood on the range or course.

Especially frustrating because I'm playing my best golf of the year right now but struggle with that one club.
Same here…only with both of them in my case.
I don’t know what’s going on with my swing. Hybrids used to be my strength a long with driver. Now I’m hitting my irons and wedges well (driver also) but can’t hit a hybrid.
I’m trying a G425 5W, and I’m terrible with FWs, just to give you an idea of my struggles. 🙄

Back