The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Back in August, we featured a new release from Cleveland Golf called the Launcher XL. As part of that line, the Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood seemed to get a bit lost in the shuffle…Part hybrid, part fairway wood, where does it fit in the bag?

Untitled-22-1024x692.jpg

When we put it to the test in the THP Tech Studio however, it quickly became one of the favorites and something that could help a lot of golfers. Bridging the gap from woods to irons has never been easy. Be it through higher lofted fairway woods, hybrids, utility irons, etc.

This new breed is upon us, something that could offer the distance of those higher...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video and beautiful least shot @MWard (if I heard the name correctly). I still really enjoy the features on these types of clubs something designed to help compensate for the potential poor swings or connections.

Enjoyed that breakdown from @ddec and the @MWard swings, that last one was a rope.

Been playing this club the last few rounds including two at Lost Dunes in the THP Experience and really like it. Much of what was said in the video rings true, a good overall package instead of a higher lofted fairway wood that is easier to hit off the deck for me. Being pretty steep with my swing, the rails appear to keep speed up on the launch monitor and the distance on the course has been really good.

Very nice video. This has been a great addition to my bag.

Appreciate the kind words Dean. As someone who is more in the fairway wood camp than hybrid, that one was very easy to hit, which most lower lofted hybrids for me are not. It still set up visually close enough to a fairway wood that I would put this in the strong consideration list if I were upgrading or looking for a replacement for my 5w.

It seemed like we all had some pretty decent feedback on this one, it was rather popular amongst us.

This, and to a lesser degree clubs like the Callaway Super Hybrid, seem to have a similar concept to the longest dwelling club in my bag - the Cobra F6 Baffler.

4-5 wood loft, compact head, with a shorter more hybrid-like shaft. A club I like so much I bought a backup.

The Hy-Wood wouldn't do it for me because I've convinced myself that an adjustable hosel is really useful for clubs in this category.

But, like the F6 Baffler, I suspect a great many golfers would be wise to replace their fairway woods and low lofted hybrids with such a beast.

Ooh. Something else to ponder... kind of like the Callaway Apex UW... It's a good thing I don't have any money. This could be expensive.:ROFLMAO:

• Staff
Wardy is a pros pro.

Wardy is a pros pro.

It’s almost like there was some banter before that last swing that made me swing harder 🤷🏻‍♂️

What are the thoughts on the stock shaft in this? It appears really light but maybe the overall weighting makes that no so conspicuous?

Nice Video - looks like it has some spin on it to hit and stop on some softer greens.....

This is my kind of club. I did get to take a swing with one recently but topped it.
Need to get my hands on another soon. These seem to be a great value.

My one reservation is that my 5w is probably my favorite club at the top of my bag and it seems to fit right in that slot.
Maybe I crank up the loft and make it a 6w...bump the 4h out of the bag and throw a hy-wood in the 5w spot? So crazy it just might work
🤔

Ponder engaged

Oh, and @MWard sick club twirl on that first shot ;)

I can't say enough good things about this club. I'm one of those guys who likes hybrids, but struggle to hit a FW off the deck. But I never seemed to get the same magic with a low lofted hybrid that I get with my 4H. This club was easier to hit than my hybrid.

The first grass range session confirmed all the reports about it. My 4H is my 200 yard club and I averaged 220 off the deck at 225 off a tee. The first round with it was just as good. I hit was money on shots on par 5s and off the tee. I'd hope to hit a fairway wood close. With this club I'd take dead aim like a hybrid or iron and have no concerns about going to a small or protected green.

I'd compare it to when hybrids first came out. For many of us, new distances were realistically in play. It was 'hoping' to hit a 3-iron 200 yards and usually not. With a hybrid that distance was easily in play.

A lot of shorter par 5s just weren't in range for me because I couldn't hit my FW consistently enough to attack a green unless it was wide open. If I had to cover a greenside creek or it was a well protected green, I'd just lay up.

My first par 5 with this was 230 down a hill with a creek in front of the green. The smart play would have been to lay up, but I wanted to hit the new club. Stuck it pin high, just off the fringe. 15 foot chip to get up and down for birdie.

This is my kind of club. I did get to take a swing with one recently but topped it.

My one reservation is that my 5w is probably my favorite club at the top of my bag and it seems to fit right in that slot.
Maybe I crank up the loft and make it a 6w...bump the 4h out of the bag and throw a hy-wood in the 5w spot? So crazy it just might work
🤔

Ponder engaged

I was wondering if anybody would see that. He wants to be Tiger's baby...Literally.

@MWard with the club twirl :ROFLMAO: . Great video guys

I was wondering if anybody would see that. He wants to be Tiger's baby...Literally.

not gonna lie, I only did that because I knew you had to edit the video and it was going to make you laugh. I only did it with one shot, and it wasn’t even the best shot 😀

• Haha
Reactions: JB
What are the thoughts on the stock shaft in this? It appears really light but maybe the overall weighting makes that no so conspicuous?

I think all the guys who took swings, with a various number of speeds present that weekend, would agree that the stock shaft held up quite well.

🤔

Ponder engaged

I'm playing the Halo 5w. I like fairway woods and I actually got this before all the buzz started here for the HY-wood. I have had the 5w in the bag for my last three rounds. It is staying in the bag. It gets the ball airborne with a nice high playable trajectory . And if I happen to catch one a little fat , as I may do on occasion, I'm still seeing good distance for the shot.

I think all the guys who took swings, with a various number of speeds present that weekend, would agree that the stock shaft held up quite well.

It was sub 50g, and had zero issue holding up to any speed put into it. Other than that, it was fine.

I'm playing the Halo 5w. I like fairway woods and I actually got this before all the buzz started here for the HY-wood. I have had the 5w in the bag for my last three rounds. It is staying in the bag. It gets the ball airborne with a nice high playable trajectory . And if I happen to catch one a little fat , as I may do on occasion, I'm still seeing good distance for the shot.
I'm currently playing the cobra F8 3 and 5w. I like rails :)
I have really been wanting to get some new clubs in the bag in those spots...
I may look at these too. I'm a super frugal guy so it's hard to get me to spend the money sometimes...but it seems like Cleveland is providing a good value with the entire line.

Neat video. I'd like to do a side by side against my Launcher 5W that I love so much.

I'm getting a bit behind and confused about how these hy-wood/super hybrid/utility woods all slot in now, and if they might just spark a take over in design of these clubs.

I'm currently playing the cobra F8 3 and 5w. I like rails :)
I have really been wanting to get some new clubs in the bag in those spots...
I may look at these too. I'm a super frugal guy so it's hard to get me to spend the money sometimes...but it seems like Cleveland is providing a good value with the entire line.

I think that based on my limited experience with the 5w and the reviews and feedback here, Cleveland has put out some seriously good equipment with the XL and Halo lines.

My HyWood arrives tomorrow, super excited.
@MWard put a move on that last shot 👀

Would use it to replace both Fairway and Hybrid.

Back