The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

Hit this twice today. First shot off the tee for 210 yard in the fairway. Second was the the last hole Par 5 2nd shot. 230 Yards down the hill to the front of the green. My vote for the club of the year.

Same. I rarely buy clubs when they're just released, I usually wait a bit for a price drop or I grab one used. But after the launch hype, I picked one up and it's become my favorite club, hands down. It's so easy to hit, it's automatic.

Same. I rarely buy clubs when they're just released, I usually wait a bit for a price drop or I grab one used. But after the launch hype, I picked one up and it's become my favorite club, hands down. It's so easy to hit, it's automatic.
My 210 yard shot was my 1st shot of the day and I sort of mishit it. I'll take that all day, every day.

I keep replaying this second shot into a Par 5 that I hit with the Hy-wood yesterday. When it came off the club I thought it may be wide right. It was holding its line pretty good when I lost sight of it. I walked down the hill and I was in an ideal spot. I have taken this club out of my bag twice and I have no clue why. I need to quit overthinking and just look at the data and results.
162F94B7-9A78-4EAE-A2E9-463CDE446949.jpeg

That was my lone birdie of the round. I had no qualms about going for it because of my comfort level with this club.

My Hy-Wood was amazing today. I can’t hit it much more than 190-200 now as I likely will need a meniscus repair on my lead leg but it’s still very reliable for me. It’s my longest club after my driver at this point as I just feel so comfortable with it. Once I’m back to 100% it should go back to being a 225-235 club for me

With the reshaft, you lose the counter weight in the stock offering, but if I would have ordered the stock stiff version from Cleveland, I would have opted for the “Accuracy build” option and lost the counter weight anyway.

I built this club at - 1 inch to stock.

I’m curious about your -1 shaft decision. I prefer my regular irons -.5 and have been thinking about ordering a hy-wood at -.75 or -1 as my T-Rex arms really start to struggle with longer-shafted irons (and woods but less so). Do you always go -1 when getting a similar sized club?

I’m curious about your -1 shaft decision. I prefer my regular irons -.5 and have been thinking about ordering a hy-wood at -.75 or -1 as my T-Rex arms really start to struggle with longer-shafted irons (and woods but less so). Do you always go -1 when getting a similar sized club?
I play my irons at -1/2, and have traditionally played the top of the bag a hair short (example my 3W is 5W length). The HyWood replaced a Callaway Super Hybrid and I wanted it to play at the same length as the Super Hybrid, so -1 was the decision.

I play my irons at -1/2, and have traditionally played the top of the bag a hair short (example my 3W is 5W length). The HyWood replaced a Callaway Super Hybrid and I wanted it to play at the same length as the Super Hybrid, so -1 was the decision.

Thanks. I think I may do the same. Just got my Halo XLs in today, will try them out and see if I want to get them turned into an accuracy build.

I’m still a little streaky with the hy-wood. It’s because I keep pushing it further forward in my stance. I hit a great tee shot with it on a par 5. A high draw over some tall trees taking out a dog leg right. Hit 2-3 decent shots. I did rope hook one hard left OB though.

Had a couple of really good shots with the Hy-Wood yesterday and a couple of shockers. I topped one for 80 yards and another squirter about 175 but in play. Those are on me and overall a good day with it.

Hit this well today after some practice and tinkering. I have been fighting a nasty hook with this club lately. It’s a feel issue. The club head feels open so I shut it on the downswing and BIG rope hook left. I had to leave it just slightly open at address and consciously not shut the club face at impact. Still felt slightly awkward, but will continue to do this until it feels natural again.

Another awesome round with the Hy-Wood. The course we played yesterday had a 216 yard part 3. Slightly elevated green. I hit my Hy-Wood perfectly and was pin high about 12 feet right of the hole. Just a piercing bullet. My playing partners were like "damn". This is my "can't miss" club. My new Cobra LTDx driver is a close second but I cannot hit a bad shot with the Hy-Wood.

Last edited:
We achieved homeostasis today! Started ripping this down the middle again. God, it's such a good club.

Question: Are there any aggressive swingers out there getting along with the stock Cypher shaft? As I understand it, it's a shaft that seems better suited to smooth, deliberate swingers. Smooth and deliberate does not really describe my swing. I also tend to prefer a heavier shaft for better control. My Super Hybrid and I aren't currently on speaking terms, so I'm considering replacing it with a Hy-Wood (or a forgiving 5-wood with a shortened shaft). I hope to demo the Hy-Wood soon, but I won't bother if the shaft doesn't seem like a good match.

Question: Are there any aggressive swingers out there getting along with the stock Cypher shaft? As I understand it, it's a shaft that seems better suited to smooth, deliberate swingers. Smooth and deliberate does not really describe my swing. I also tend to prefer a heavier shaft for better control. My Super Hybrid and I aren't currently on speaking terms, so I'm considering replacing it with a Hy-Wood (or a forgiving 5-wood with a shortened shaft). I hope to demo the Hy-Wood soon, but I won't bother if the shaft doesn't seem like a good match.
Like you, I have what I like to call an aggressive move, although in reality violent might describe it better. My biggest battle before a round is to convince myself to gear down a bit, as my first instinct is to kill the ball right from the top of my backswing.
To answer your question, in the right flex, they will hold up to your swing. They aren’t what I would call a flimsy shaft, they’re one designed to give you a higher ball flight. whether or not you want that should be the deciding factor of playing it or another model shaft.
I’ve had the Cypher shafts in every club in my bag with the exception of my wedges and putter (either in regular or Senior flex), and here’s what I’ll tell you… with the irons and hybrids they’ve been really good for me. In the driver and FWs I hated them.
This brings us to the Hy-wood and it’s 40g Cyper shaft. To be honest, my issue is with the length of the shaft. I struggle with FWs, and this reminds me more of a 5 or 7 wood than a 3 hybrid. It’s early days for me with the Hy-wood and so far I love the higher ball flight I’m getting, but I find I’m not as consistent with my ball strike as I was with my old 3H, and I’m not seeing the big distance gains others talk about because of that. Is the potential there? Yes, but I have to adjust to the length of this shaft for that to happen.
The deciding factor for me on whether it stays in the bag beyond the 90 day trial period I have will be if I can get used to the longer shaft or not, not the Cypher shaft itself.

Like you, I have what I like to call an aggressive move, although in reality violent might describe it better. My biggest battle before a round is to convince myself to gear down a bit, as my first instinct is to kill the ball right from the top of my backswing.
To answer your question, in the right flex, they will hold up to your swing. They aren’t what I would call a flimsy shaft, they’re one designed to give you a higher ball flight. whether or not you want that should be the deciding factor of playing it or another model shaft.
I’ve had the Cypher shafts in every club in my bag with the exception of my wedges and putter (either in regular or Senior flex), and here’s what I’ll tell you… with the irons and hybrids they’ve been really good for me. In the driver and FWs I hated them.
This brings us to the Hy-wood and it’s 40g Cyper shaft. To be honest, my issue is with the length of the shaft. I struggle with FWs, and this reminds me more of a 5 or 7 wood than a 3 hybrid. It’s early days for me with the Hy-wood and so far I love the higher ball flight I’m getting, but I find I’m not as consistent with my ball strike as I was with my old 3H, and I’m not seeing the big distance gains others talk about because of that. Is the potential there? Yes, but I have to adjust to the length of this shaft for that to happen.
The deciding factor for me on whether it stays in the bag beyond the 90 day trial period I have will be if I can get used to the longer shaft or not, not the Cypher shaft itself.

Very helpful - thank you!

A couple of things. First, the Cypher Forty shaft actually weighs 50 grams, 2nd, if you don't like the standard length of 41.5 inches for the Hy-Wood you can get the Launcher XL Halo Hybrid which has a 40.5 inch length along with a Cypher 60 shaft which weighs 74 grams. I pretty much did this by replacing the Cypher Forty with an Aldila NVS Hybrid shaft. Now I love the club. As far as I can tell the only difference between the Hy-Wood and Halo Hybrid 18 degree are the shaft I just mentioned and the Halo Hybrid has lines all the way across the face while the Hy-Wood doesn't have them right in the middle. I mentioned how much I love this Hy-Wood since I changed the shaft, so much that I did buy the 4 Halo Hybrid at 21 degrees. I don't think I've mis-hit it yet, which is saying something for me.

After months of waiting I finally got to try the Hywood. I was comparing it against my 3 Hybrid (Cobra F7) and a Ping 3 Hybrid. Fortunately my local range now has trackman on every bay so the comparison could be more objective.

I use the Cobra off the tee instead of driver (my score has dropped 4 shots since I stopped using my driver) and so was keen to see if the Hywood would be an improvement.

Over the ball I felt very comfortable with the Hywood, the shaft didn't seem too long (my normal issue with fairways) and the head is much larger than the F7 inspiring more confidence. My first few shots were just great getting into the 180yds region and with one 191 yarder. I was pleased with that considering I was using range balls, it was wet and my swing was limited with a sore lower back. I was probably around 10-15 yards longer than the Cobra and with more consistency. Even the mishits were going 150 yards and I was getting less of them.

With the Ping 3 Hybrid the consistency was similar to the Hywood but slightly shorter (5 yds).

Towards the end of the session my shots (all clubs) were going right probably due to my swing being limited by my back pain so I'll probably do another range session or get a fitting when it's not so bad. However on the basis of the one session I'm leaning heavily towards the Hywood.

I asked for delivery lead times and was quoted 8 weeks and that's from the UK centre of Excellence for Srixon who should get first call on stocks. I spoke to another supplier and they had no idea when they would get them into stock as they're in such demand. Cleveland are definitely onto a winner with this club.

The Hy-wood continues to shine. Almost reached a par 5 in two with it. Was off the front of the green by about a yard. Kept arguing with my cart buddy that there was no way it was my ball. I've never gotten close to being on in two historically.

Definitely a must try for the fairway wood challenged. Need to find something as easily to hit to fill the gap between this and my irons.

Still loving the hy-wood. My scramble buddy has used it twice, once a second shot all carry over water to back center of the green. It convinced him to order one as soon as the round was over.
My shot of the day, Sunday, was 189 to the hole. Tree right in the way. Big swinging hook 20 yards right of the green, rolled up to 8’. Yes I made the birdie putt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been looking at updating parts of my old bag and near the top I haven't even looked at the hy-wood. I like that it is supposed to be easier to hit off the deck than FW's, but I'm kinda looking to play around with getting away from hybrids. Does this feel and play more like a hybrid than a FW, or is it somewhere in the middle?

For me...feels like a hybrid during the swing...feel like a fairway at impact. Yes, on somewhere in the middle.
Interesting. Thanks for the quick input. How do you like it off the fairway and out of the rough?

Interesting. Thanks for the quick input. How do you like it off the fairway and out of the rough?

It is really easy off the deck in the fairway. I’m also surprised how well it gets the ball out of the rough. I’ve found FWs hang up much more in the rough. The rails apparently really work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back