The Combo Set Diary - Cleveland youFIT, 588 Irons, and One Average Golfer

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of you know that Cleveland Golf introduced an extension to their 588 line of irons this year. We've had quite a bit of feedback already on all three sets in the new series - the Alititude, MT, and TT irons. Within these three sets of irons are three different profiles that are interchangeable in length, loft, and lie - giving consumers the option to build a set of irons that fits their specific needs while avoiding the confusion of combining mismatched specs. It's somewhat unprecedented in that these combo sets are extremely accessible, playable, and customizable for everyday golfers like you and I. Something a little strange happened early in the year though. Tour players started gravitating towards the combo sets.

I know what you are saying, "Hawk, guys have been playing combo sets on Tour for years."

That would be true. However, this is the first time I can recall a dedicated group of Tour staffers playing an oversized game improvement iron that is marketed towards the mid and high handicappers of the world. How many Tour players have you seen play one of these?

DSCN2532-L.jpg

Not many. I can almost hear the gasps sitting here at my computer. Tour players utilizing a big, offset, strong lofted, hollow back shovel? Sure enough. In fact, Cleveland has more MT’s in play than any other company’s utility iron.

Here are the names of a few guys that put at least one, if not two, into play at the bottom end of their iron set.

Charlie Beljan
Keegan Bradley
Jerry Kelly
Jason Kokrak

Not a bad list of guys right there – an up and comer that has come close to winning some PGA Tour winners, and two Major winners. They’re all using an iron style that some amateurs would scoff at. MT (and a TT) irons are being mixed with sets like the 588 CB’s, 588 MB’s, CG7 Tours, and CG16 Tours by some of the world’s best golfers.

So, that begs the question – how can amateurs benefit from a combo set? Also, how should they be putting this set together? We’ve seen combo sets available via mass production before, but they’ve had a little different appearance to them compared to the 588 line - blade scoring irons, small cavity mid irons, and slightly larger cavity back long irons. The 588 line offers that, yet they also offer a somewhat more approachable way to try the combo set, one that offers every level of precision and forgiveness available in iron design.

Enter Cleveland’s new iron ‘fitting’ app – youFIT. I purposely downplayed the word ‘fitting’ because this app is really a way to get some suggestions as opposed to a replacement for a full fitting. Cleveland makes the point that a full fitting is the best way to really maximize your iron set’s performance, and the expanded fitting carts introduced in early 2013 make such a fitting easy to accomplish. Still, I’m going to talk a bit about the app today and how it helped me pick a combo set built to help me where I need it most.

youFit can be found on Cleveland’s website in their Custom Fitting menu or by clicking this link http://ironfitting.clevelandgolf.com/#

The first screen lets you choose whether you are a golfer or a dealer. The reason it gives this option is because fitters and dealers can use the app to place orders for their customers.
ScreenShot023-L.jpg

After selecting the combo set option I navigated around a bit under I found a page that offered some guidance on what set might be right for me. I entered my handicap, along with a few different selections for what I felt was important regarding the performance of my iron set. You see, that answer changes a bit depending on what iron we are talking about. In the long irons I really want something that offers maximum forgiveness and distance and the highest possible trajectory. In the mid irons I still want distance and am willing to sacrifice a little forgiveness, but not much. In the scoring irons I prefer something that is accurate and offers the ability to play different trajectories easily. In all honesty, I don’t mind something a little more compact there either.
ScreenShot025-L.jpg

The point of all that is to say that my version of the ideal iron set is unique to me. I looked at the suggestions for the different criteria I entered and used it as a guide, along with the knowledge I already have about my own launch conditions and game, to make a choice.
ScreenShot024-L.jpg

After that, I was able to look through the various custom options, of which there are many, for shafts, grips, and specifications. There was a handy little guide that gave some good information on the various shaft options and it turned out that the stock Tour Traction shaft was quite similar to the one that I play in my other iron set, so I decided to give it a try.
ScreenShot026-L.jpg

In the end, a summary of the whole process was presented to me - the 588 combo set that I’d be playing in the coming months.
ScreenShot027-L.jpg

Last edited:
  • Staff
This will be an interesting experiment for me. I've played two very different iron sets over the last year, and found things about both that I liked quite a bit. In addition, I've had the luxury of spending dozens of hours on a launch monitor, getting a very good idea about what launch conditions I'm looking for and how to give myself the best chance at getting them.

The combo set is an approach I haven't taken before, so I look forward to seeing how it impacts my game over time and this thread will serve a journal of sorts along the way. I admittedly find more comfort in mid irons with the RocketBladez and find my peformance decreases a bit in the shorter irons. Though I've experimented a bit with long irons, I've found that traditional hybrids provide me the best option for those slots in the bag. The move to what I'd almost call a hybrid of a hybrid and iron will be something I watch closely as well.

Here's a brief explanation of the choices I made.

I chose the Alititude 3 and 4 irons. My thought there was that guys on Tour are using MT's to enhance their long game, so I may want to look a little further down the line for the launch and forgiveness I need.

DSCN2538-L.jpg

DSCN2540-L.jpg

DSCN2539-L.jpg

DSCN2543-L.jpg

For the mid irons I went with something that I find comfort in today - a larger cavity back iron that offers high forgiveness, yet still is an iron, rather than a hybrid. Where I struggled a bit here was picking the iron that bridged the gap to TT's. I considered just going with a 5 and 6 MT, but the truth is that the 7 iron is a mid iron to me, so I chose the added forgiveness the MT offered here.

DSCN2527-L.jpg

DSCN2528-L.jpg

DSCN2530-L.jpg

DSCN2532-L.jpg

Lastly, the TT irons filled out the top end of my bag. I chose 8 - PW here. Depending on my selection on youFIT, I was suggested either the TT's or the MT's. I considered taking MT's all the way through PW, but I wanted to see if a slightly thinner sole offered me added versatility. I use all three of these irons with the Pelz system frequently, so I thought a smaller profile might fit nicely with it.

DSCN2533-L.jpg

DSCN2535-L.jpg

DSCN2534-L.jpg

DSCN2536-L.jpg

DSCN2537-L.jpg

What really made me think deep about my setup was reading Charlie Beljan plays CB wedges.

Hawk, that was an awesome write up. Having played similar sets as you over the past few years, and then moved to a combo set of the 588s myself, I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you go thru the transition to these irons.

I'm interested to see how the combination works for you, Ryan. (I did have some trouble determining whether the altitude shown was a 4i or 9i. :alien:)

by the way, I just tried the Cleveland link, and there was an error message.

GREAT thread and read Hawkster. Well done. Those Loltitudes really are huge though. Wow look at that 4 hyron.

That is an awesome start Hawk! I really like that idea of the fitting tool Cleveland has online.

The lofts make a combo set so easy, genius move by Cleveland IMO.

Hawk your bag ended up set up almost like mine.
I have the Altitude 5i / MT 6-8 / TT 9-DW.
I love it and so far it's really working for me. I think you're really going to enjoy these clubs.

They will take a little getting used to like any new irons but they are sweetness after that.

• Staff
I'm interested to see how the combination works for you, Ryan. (I did have some trouble determining whether the altitude shown was a 4i or 9i. :alien:)

by the way, I just tried the Cleveland link, and there was an error message.

If anybody else has this problem, let me know. I just tested it on my end and it worked.

GREAT thread and read Hawkster. Well done. Those Loltitudes really are huge though. Wow look at that 4 hyron.

They are certainly different. The thing I'll be looking at closest is whether I see any benefit from the Altitude as compared to the traditional 4 hybrid I've carried most of the last year. I have some thoughts after a range session, but they are early and incomplete.

Great thread Hawk, I seriously contemplated a set makeup similar to what you went with but after playing the Altitudes I love them so much I opted for the entire set.

It is very cool what Cleveland has brought with this combo set availability and then to see what the MT has brought to tour players bags is saying something.

Will check out the fitting app to see what it would recommend for me.

Really looking forward to your long term thoughts with this set makeup!!

If anybody else has this problem, let me know. I just tested it on my end and it worked.

Tried it two more times to be sure. No dice.

I like the "fitting" idea but it seems that it needs more questions to help people figure out what they might need. Much like the questions many fall fittings ask I think that could be added to enhance the process just a bit.

Interesting.....based on my handicap (10) and wanting something is forgiving/easy to hit, it recommended:

Mixed set of MT & TT
Full set of TT

Surprised to not see ALT recommended, guessing that is because my handicap.

Awesome writeup Hawk, it seems that the concept of "combo set" has exploded this year, and look no further than our own Morgan Cup fellas.

I cant wait to see how this set fares for you against the ol Ricketbladez.

Amazing, these mixed sets are certainly the best way to allow anyone to customize their set! I can't wait to try the youFIT for myself!

Hawk, great info!

Do you expect any abnormal distance gapping between clubs within the set as in between the altitude and MT? I know dudes were absolutely bombing the Atlitudes.

Thanks for the comments everybody. We're lucky that we have a good mix of THP'rs using different configurations of a similar set. Lots of good, varying feedback for those interested in exploring it.

I'll reiterate that I think the biggest benefit, or strength, that this series offers is the ability to truly customize it to maximize potential and temper weaknesses. Other combo sets haven't necessarily given people that option in such an accessible manner.

The MT going into so many tour bags this year is what opens many eyes. We always say that tour play does not have an impact on what we want/need, but the truth is, something against the grain like this certainly made me want to try them.

Hawk, great info!

Do you expect any abnormal distance gapping between clubs within the set as in between the altitude and MT? I know dudes were absolutely bombing the Atlitudes.

I'll have some more thoughts on that over time, but what I saw yesterday was pretty tight. I don't really think I bombed the Alititudes to be honest. I hit them as far as I'd expect a similar iron to go - if I could hit it. Rather than an ugly 3 iron I was getting the yardage I'd get if I could actually hit one. I'll definitely need to give that more time though. Will get them on a Vector as well.

Are you on a mobile device?

iPad. That may be it. I'll check it out on my PC when I get to the office.

I thought Cleveland was blocking me because I've been so critical of the altitudes.

The MT going into so many tour bags this year is what opens many eyes. We always say that tour play does not have an impact on what we want/need, but the truth is, something against the grain like this certainly made me want to try them.
MT irons have changed my long iron game, without a doubt they are special clubs.

From the PGA Tour report on PGATOUR.com
About Keegan's MT 4iron. & Testing a 2 Iron

Another interesting tidbit about the round? Bradley had two Cleveland 4-irons in the bag during his record-setting round. You read that right: two 4-irons. We've seen players employ two drivers in the past (Phil Mickelson at the 2006 Masters comes to mind), but rarely do you see a pro carry two of the same iron.
Even though the numbers are the same, Bradley said the irons are slightly different when it comes to yardage and ball flight. The first 4-iron, a Cleveland 588 MT, has 21 degrees of loft and is a game-improvement long-iron that features a hollow head design that allows weight to be distributed for a lower, deeper center of gravity.
Even though the MT irons are sold as a set, a number of Cleveland staffers have been replacing their long irons and hybrids with the MT this season — including Bradley, who used a 3-iron at the beginning of the season before switching to a 4-iron.

"It says 4 on the bottom of the club, but it's actually a 3-iron," Bradley said. "The loft's a little stronger than my other 4-iron and I hit it as far if not farther than a 3-iron. It has a great flight and it's easy to hit."

Bradley's other 4-iron is a Cleveland CG7 that's part of his current iron set. It has 25 degrees of loft and a smaller cavity back for better players.

"I've gotten some weird looks from guys on the course when they look in my bag and see two 4-irons," Bradley said. "I doubt there are a lot of guys out there that have two of the same iron in the bag, but it works for me."

Bradley has been using the iron setup recently and had both in play at THE PLAYERS Championship. Aside from the 4-irons, Bradley also confirmed he's been working with a Cleveland 588 MT 2-iron that could go in play at the U.S. Open.

"I'm testing out some 2-irons [588 MT] for the U.S. Open just so I could maybe have one that's a bullet that I could hit. Not sure if I'm going to use it. We'll see what happen.

Hawk, great info!

I'm interested to see this as well. The altitudes produced some ridiculous distances for me.

awesome write up so far Hawk. After toying with these at the outing, I crave a mixed set. Not sure if Altitudes would make it in or not, but damn I want a set of all. Just played around with the youfit system as well. I could see myself going MT 5-7, and TT 8-PW.

Back