The conundrum of graphite iron shafts and retail

Do you use graphite in your driver? If so, what weight?

I’m trying to understand why graphite could be superior in a driver but not good enough in an iron.

Is it the shaft weight being 130 grams that you like or the swing weight the srixon irons were built to?

Recoil 95! mic drop!

Do you use graphite in your driver? If so, what weight?

I’m trying to understand why graphite could be superior in a driver but not good enough in an iron.

Is it the shaft weight being 130 grams that you like or the swing weight the Srixon irons were built to?

I do swing graphite in my driver and FW, mostly in the 65-75 gram weight. Distance is more important in a driver/FW, whereas irons, especially the shorter ones, are more about accuracy and distance/trajectory control. I've owned sets of irons with 110, and 120-gram shafts in them, and neither were as accurate for me. I don't doubt that a set of 130 gram graphite shafts would be as accurate as steel for me, but I don't have a reason to pay more for the same performance. If graphite shafted irons offered a performance advantage, we would see all the OEM have them as the stock option in their wedges which are obviously the scoring clubs and separate purchases from a set of irons. Wedges get used more often for most golfers than any one of their irons, but all the golfers I know have graphite in their 5-PW have steel in their 2-3 other wedges. Bizarre logic IMO.

Do your SW and LW have graphite shafts in them?

When I got fitted, I asked my fitter about graphite shafts in my irons. He had me hit a few shots with one and said he’d be glad to order them for me if I wanted them, but honestly I’d be paying more money and gaining no advantage from it. I appreciated his honesty rather than just going for the upsale.

I do swing graphite in my driver and FW, mostly in the 65-75 gram weight. Distance is more important in a driver/FW, whereas irons, especially the shorter ones, are more about accuracy and distance/trajectory control. I've owned sets of irons with 110, and 120-gram shafts in them, and neither were as accurate for me. I don't doubt that a set of 130 gram graphite shafts would be as accurate as steel for me, but I don't have a reason to pay more for the same performance. If graphite shafted irons offered a performance advantage, we would see all the OEM have them as the stock option in their wedges which are obviously the scoring clubs and separate purchases from a set of irons. Wedges get used more often for most golfers than any one of their irons, but all the golfers I know have graphite in their 5-PW have steel in their 2-3 other wedges. Bizarre logic IMO.

I'm a oddball, graphite in all club's, even my Stroke Lab Double Wide kinda. ;)

I'm a oddball, graphite in all club's, even my Stroke Lab Double Wide kinda. ;)

Haha. And I’m the crazy one who pulled the StrokeLab shafts from my Toulon’s and Odyssey’s and replaced them with KBS CT tours.:)

I carry a 50 54 58 wedge set the 50 has same graphite as my irons because I’m regularly hitting full shots with it. The 54 and 58 not yet....I’m testing to see if the difference is noticeable on partial shots with the higher lofted wedges.
Accra, Mitsubishi, recoil, and lagp all have viable wedge options.
It’s a crazy game for sure Bryson’s equipment choices have to make people scratch their heads using 1 length, massive grips, etc

As much as I hate to admit it I think if you have a bald head and a salt and pepper beard you get a whole different set of assumptions, and a different graphite experience. At least at first.

Haha. And I’m the crazy one who pulled the StrokeLab shafts from my Toulon’s and Odyssey’s and replaced them with KBS CT tours.:)
Umm.. that's not crazy. That's exactly how you do that!

Speaking on behalf of the CT Tours in all my putters and the stroke labs in my closet shaft pile. ;)

Now maybe my experiences are outliers, but I doubt it.
I don't think they are. I have a relatively slow swing speed and every time I've been fitted I was told I don't need graphite iron shafts. After having a set build with graphite shafts last year, I'm pretty sure they are a better fit for me. I should know for sure after this upcoming season.

As much as I hate to admit it I think if you have a bald head and a salt and pepper beard you get a whole different set of assumptions, and a different graphite experience. At least at first.

I am getting used to ageism, but in this case it should help. Warning, old guy, send him to graphite iron shaft alley. :p The problem is that I am still looking for performance graphite. To this day I have not had a chance to hit a graphite iron shaft over 110g and often there is maybe one X-flex in a retail/fitting environment. Meh. I'll get over it, but I think they are missing out on fitting opportunities. Graphite allows flex to be detached from weight and has nearly infinite profile options compared to steel. It should just be a matter of time.

Late last winter my buddy bought a set of prior year Wilson Staff irons with graphite shafts. He hit those irons beautifully, even better than his Callaways which h hit pretty good. After 2-3 times out I see the old Callaways back in his bag. I asked him why, and he said he couldn't feel the clubheads on the Wilsons. So I asked why he'd care since he hit them so well! The Wilson eventually wound up back in the bag.

This thread makes me think that what my buddy was feeling was the total weight of the club, not the clubhead.

I had a much different experience. I recently went to a local golf shop to ask what the cost would be to install new shafts as I was looking at getting some used graphite shafts for my older irons due to golfers elbow. I have a high swing speed and wanted heavy X-stiff shafts. Just wanted something short term until I get fit for new irons.

All of the guys in the shop were playing graphite and raved about it. One of them had just switched over due to golfers elbow. The club builder got super excited because he had just pulled a set of X-stiff MMTs that were in the right weight range and I bought them on the spot and had them installed that weekend. Great experience and the guys knew a ton about graphite iron shaft options and talked my ear off it about them.

Do you find the graphite helps with golfer's elbow? I am 31 and swing about 115 on driver (heading upward, hopefully! I went from 108 before the pandemic to 115 from a Joey D workout regimen and SuperSpeed training last year). I have battled tennis elbow in my right arm for 2 years after chunking an iron off of a rock hard range mat. Last year, I was diagnosed with golfers elbow in my other elbow after a weight lifting injury (go figure). I've done PT for both and have daily exercises but they are both nagging.

My irons are dynamic gold x100 (I think they are around 130g) but I am looking to go with a slightly lighter graphite shaft that can still be stable at higher speeds. My clubfitter had the aerofiber and some other shafts.

Do you find the graphite helps with golfer's elbow? I am 31 and swing about 115 on driver (heading upward, hopefully! I went from 108 before the pandemic to 115 from a Joey D workout regimen and SuperSpeed training last year). I have battled tennis elbow in my right arm for 2 years after chunking an iron off of a rock hard range mat. Last year, I was diagnosed with golfers elbow in my other elbow after a weight lifting injury (go figure). I've done PT for both and have daily exercises but they are both nagging.

My irons are dynamic gold x100 (I think they are around 130g) but I am looking to go with a slightly lighter graphite shaft that can still be stable at higher speeds. My clubfitter had the aerofiber and some other shafts.

Graphite shafts absolutely help golfer’s elbow. The shafts you are using, heavy and stiff steel, must kill your elbows... You might consider testing out some graphite shafts. Tons of great options these days, including heavier weights. Steelfiber, Recoil, MMT, Catalyst, etc.

Also, I can tell you that I picked up some elbow braces like these from Amazon, and wear these every time I golf now. These make a big difference when you have the cushioned part tight at the site of the worst tendonitis. Generally, inside of the arm for golfer’s elbow, outside of the arm for tennis elbow (but your pain will tell you where to position it).

Graphite shafts absolutely help golfer’s elbow. The shafts you are using, heavy and stiff steel, must kill your elbows... You might consider testing out some graphite shafts. Tons of great options these days, including heavier weights. Steelfiber, Recoil, MMT, Catalyst, etc.

Also, I can tell you that I picked up some elbow braces like these from Amazon, and wear these every time I golf now. These make a big difference when you have the cushioned part tight at the site of the worst tendonitis. Generally, inside of the arm for golfer’s elbow, outside of the arm for tennis elbow (but your pain will tell you where to position it).

Thanks! I will probably get fitted for some new graphite soon. At least something a tad lighter. Not sure what they will recommend but I am thinking no more than 110.
I have similar braces but I've only used them weight lifting. Do they interfere with your swing at all? Or feel?

Thanks! I will probably get fitted for some new graphite soon. At least something a tad lighter. Not sure what they will recommend but I am thinking no more than 110.
I have similar braces but I've only used them weight lifting. Do they interfere with your swing at all? Or feel?

Yeah, definitely test out the Steelfiber 110 and 115, Recoil 110, MMT 105. Heck, you might like the Steelfiber 95 or Recoil 95. Only way to know is to hit them.

The braces are totally unobtrusive while golfing. As a lefty, my golfer’s elbow is on the inside of my left forearm. Don‘t even really notice the brace while golfing. Frankly, the brace also allows me to play steel as well when I want to, but I am more in the 105g steel range, and I use prosoft inserts in my steel shafts to lessen the impact.

Good luck.

When I hurt my right elbow (tore ligament on the first tee!) about 4 years ago, maybe 5, can't remember I went to graphite shafts. It was the best move I made. Not just for the elbow problem but for my game. Throughout the last few years I've played Aldila N-3 stiff which I got crazy deals on. Tried the steel fiber 95 s which I didn't care for. Then Recoil F4's. They were good. Then beginning of last season I got Recoil 110 F5 and love these. My new set of Hogan combos I got Recoil smacwrap's. Haven't played these much yet as I got them in Nov.

Elbow brace wise I wore the ones you pictured. Sometimes if my elbow was hurting that bad from a day of work I wore 2 of them. Very rarely do I NOT wear at least one of them.

I'm similar swing speed and age as you (though I'm newer to golf and definitely have flaws in my swing that led to injury). It's hard to say how much graphite helped, my golfers elbow was REALLY bad from a combination of heavy weight lifting and swinging off hard mats. I tried everything (ice, massage, theragun, resistance bands, graphite, elbow braces, stopped lifting and hitting off mats) and it just never got better. I went to graphite the last couple months of it and the pain after golf was definitely better but I think my golfers elbow was at a point where only rest would help. I'm currently on week 9 of no golf or lifting and feel like I'm close to being over it (no more pain but still a bit swollen on the tendon). I do think graphite will help more than any other mitigation in preventing further injury once I can swing again. I posted a few threads about it and many on this forum have been able to get over mild golfers elbow or prevent it in the future by going to graphite. I asked about what helps people most and people raved about switching to graphite.

The nice surprise was these shafts are amazing and much better than the steel I was playing even for my aggressive swing. They are pricey new but well worth minimizing the risk of having to sit out several months of golf again in the future. If your golfers elbow is mild it might be enough to help you avoid having to sit out for awhile. Either way it helps a lot in preventing injury or making existing injuries worse. FWIW I wasn't fit but am playing the MMT's because they had a used set for a crazy good price. I was lucky that they are a great performance fit for me. I'm a newer 18hc so not much experience fitting for shafts but as an aggressive swinger these felt awesome for me. Others on the forum rave about the Recoils so I'm planning to test those our when I get fit for the first time later this year.

I'm similar swing speed and age as you (though I'm newer to golf and definitely have flaws in my swing that led to injury). It's hard to say how much graphite helped, my golfers elbow was REALLY bad from a combination of heavy weight lifting and swinging off hard mats. I tried everything (ice, massage, theragun, resistance bands, graphite, elbow braces, stopped lifting and hitting off mats) and it just never got better. I went to graphite the last couple months of it and the pain after golf was definitely better but I think my golfers elbow was at a point where only rest would help. I'm currently on week 9 of no golf or lifting and feel like I'm close to being over it (no more pain but still a bit swollen on the tendon). I do think graphite will help more than any other mitigation in preventing further injury once I can swing again. I posted a few threads about it and many on this forum have been able to get over mild golfers elbow or prevent it in the future by going to graphite. I asked about what helps people most and people raved about switching to graphite.

The nice surprise was these shafts are amazing and much better than the steel I was playing even for my aggressive swing. They are pricey new but well worth minimizing the risk of having to sit out several months of golf again in the future. If your golfers elbow is mild it might be enough to help you avoid having to sit out for awhile. Either way it helps a lot in preventing injury or making existing injuries worse. FWIW I wasn't fit but am playing the MMT's because they had a used set for a crazy good price. I was lucky that they are a great performance fit for me. I'm a newer 18hc so not much experience fitting for shafts but as an aggressive swinger these felt awesome for me. Others on the forum rave about the Recoils so I'm planning to test those our when I get fit for the first time later this year.

Awesome info. Thanks for the detailed post. I even have issues hitting 200+ balls. I have PT exercises I do regularly and have to really be careful with lifting and making sure I wear my braces. Going to give graphite a try! Maybe the nagging issue will go away.

Follow-up, fellow graphite shafters! My fitter (shoutout to Glen at Cool Clubs Boston!) was able to fit me in and hit a bunch of 6 irons with an Aerotech Steel fiber 115. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I want to try the 105 next time and perhaps some other heavier weighted graphite shafts.

The steel fiber seemed much more stable with a stiffer tip than my steel x100s. Go figure! I was getting a tad more spin (~4800 vs 4400), more ball speed (129 vs. 124), and higher landing angle (48 vs 44). When I tried to mess with ball position and flight it down, my high draw and straight shots turned into low hooks. In an odd twist, I felt as I was getting tired I really had to fire my hips and get the swing speed up to hit it straighter. As I got tired, my best shots were also my highest club and ball speeds. The slower I swung, or kept it to a 3/4 swing, the more likely it was to over draw.

Good thing is that the arm with the brace for my tennis elbow didn't start to hurt until almost 75 minutes of hitting balls. I think I was hoping just a little too optimistically that it wouldn't hurt at all (and I really wasn't hitting any fat). Looking at going down in weight a tad.

Back