The cost of modern putters

RetiredBoomer

Reaction score
If you're old enough, you've owned sets that cost less than some of today's major brand putters.

Do you think that the market on todays more expensive putters is over the top?

I have the feeling that it is,
and that a manufacturer could make a fortune making high quality putters
and selling them for a hundred bucks or less.

I could agree that current putters are pricey... and the same could be said about drivers... or hybrids... or irons...

Supply and demand and the market shows that it will bear some of these prices. There's something for everyone in a price that suits them.(y)

They're probably over the top, but I feel like everything in the golf industry is.

Cleveland does make some really good putters.

I've owned sets of clubs that cost less than a SCameron.

I played a Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 last year. I am not sure there is anything that separates that putter, less than $100 from a $350 milled putter. I refuse to buy a $300+ milled putter.

I agree that the prices are over the top. I have a collection of 10 putters and all are $300+ retail putters. Only paid north of $200 for one of them (a custom putter I had made specifically for me) and they are all basically in perfect condition. Used market ftw. Let someone else take the huge depreciation on them.

For every person out there who wants the cheapest putter they can find, there is also someone that won't buy a $199 putter because it has to be worse than the $449 model simply because it costs less. Then there are people who wouldn't buy the $449 model because it is stock and they need something custom for their game.

Like all businesses, OEMs look at all their product and analyze what the costs are, what their margins will be at certain price points and what they project to move at each of those price points. Taking that data they do their best to maximize sales and profit.

Last edited:
If I'm willing to pay $400 for a driver, I'm willing to pay $400 for a putter.
I don't think their over the top, I think for example Scotty Cameron or Bettinardi markets its putter, like Callaway, Titleist and any other company would market its driver, cost related.
I can't say my driver is more important than my putter or vice versa, so with saying that I would believe you would spend X amount of dollars in the same way, wouldn't you?

Fair market value... if enough people are willing to pay X for it then that is what they should charge.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year as i'm guessing many of these brands will struggle with the pending recession. As budgets get tighter one of the first things to go is the 400$ putters. Some company's may be forced to reduce prices to simply move enough inventory, but then do they "hurt" their brand's reputation as high end. It will be interesting to watch them walk this fine line. Hopefully all the companies and employees make it out of this ok.

The only club in my bag I paid full retail is my Odyssey Bird of Prey putter that I just had to buy after rolling it. Even there I was able to trade in stuff to Callaway to make it OK. I'm usually a year or two behind releases to save money.

I'm sure some brands could sell their putters for less, but then they face the "cheap-o brand" image issue, or they're doing wrong by their stockholders. I think there's a happy medium though, where they can make a decent profit and not scalp the consumer.

Of course the ultra-high end $1000+ putters are art work, and their prices are certainly only driven by what people will pay, and really can't be included in any realistic pricing conversation.

Sure, I think the golf industry have lost their collective minds when it comes to pricing.
And they wonder why more people don't take up the game.
I won't pay $400 for a driver or putter. I will buy used or like in the case of my new CF-19 irons, will buy new with tournament winnings, not out of pocket.

But....that is purely a personal choice.

Value is perceived by the buyer. If you think it is worth it then it is.

I personally like options-- I can find a used one for $20 or buy a brand new Lamb/insert whatever boutique putter brand you want for whatever they're going for. Doesn't bother me what the price is, it's what I'm willing to pay and what fits my game.

If you're old enough, you've owned sets that cost less than some of today's major brand putters.

Do you think that the market on todays more expensive putters is over the top?

I have the feeling that it is,
and that a manufacturer could make a fortune making high quality putters
and selling them for a hundred bucks or less.
Someone should have numbers for how well that’s working for Cleveland

There are a lot of reason putter, and golf equipment as a whole is expensive. Some of it is justified. For example, the golf industry has a lot of aerospace engineers working in it developing these things. That takes money.

Some of it isn't, does the new whatever insert really make that much of a difference? Does the $300 graphite putter shaft really equal more made putts? It could, but it could not. But, if you want to spend your money on it. Who am I to tell you that you are wrong?

There’s a product at a price range for everyone.

To me, the whole is it too expensive thing is played out, it’s a personal decision as to what is, it isn’t, too much.

I use a nike method mod and love the damn thing. Super delicate with it since they are no longer around.... dont think i bought it new, but did retail for 300.

people associate price for quality in most everything. Putters are interesting because they can be very basic and very extravagant, use what works to get it in the hole.

Like earlier posts suggest, Cleveland sells milled putters around 100 bucks, I bet all of us could use one and put the same.

It's ridiculous... If the market bears it, more power to them though. I'm ok with trying one at 80-90% off retail a few years down the road.

I do think so, but people pay it, and that is their right to do so. Who am I to say someone shouldn't pay 600 for a putter? I also understand that the costs that going in to making putters has gone up as well.

I disagree though about the making a boatload of money selling putters not at that 100 mark. Cleveland Classic was a damn good milled putter that felt softer than any other milled putter I had tried at the time, including the high end SC, Bettinardi, TP Mills, etc. But it didn't make a dent in the milled putter market.

I think there is also something to be said about the manufacturing process. I know my $100 Wilson Staff Infinite putter is milled in China and most likely on an assembly line of sorts where labor and materials are dirt cheap. The same can’t be said for Benti’s, Scotty’s, Swag, ect. We’re paying a premium for a craftsman to make it.

yes I do feel putters are over priced, along with everything in golf, but it does not stop me from buying something I really want. I had a Cleveland Huntington soft for some of last year and it really is an awesome putter

I personally think the prices are way over the top, mainly because I doubt they would enable me to putt much better than with a much less expensive putter. But people buy what they like and what looks and feels good TO THEM. I basically stick to around the $100.00 range for most clubs, and I have been able to find what I need in that price range.

Last edited:
Back