The Cruise Thread

Gonna try and bump this up. Looking to take the wife and kids on a cruise this coming fall and we’re looking at Carnival Vista. Anyone with any tips or advice either way? Complete rookies when it comes to cruising so open to any advice.

Gonna try and bump this up. Looking to take the wife and kids on a cruise this coming fall and we’re looking at Carnival Vista. Anyone with any tips or advice either way? Complete rookies when it comes to cruising so open to any advice.

Get the all you can drink passes for both you and the non alcoholic ones for the little guys. Makes it so much easier and seems to be worth it. Also, I’ve taken carnival, granted it was a while ago, and I enjoyed it. My sister has taken a bunch of cruises and on a variety of lines too, and I can try to see what she recommends.

Get the all you can drink passes for both you and the non alcoholic ones for the little guys. Makes it so much easier and seems to be worth it. Also, I’ve taken carnival, granted it was a while ago, and I enjoyed it. My sister has taken a bunch of cruises and on a variety of lines too, and I can try to see what she recommends.

+1 on the all you can drink package. Also, try to bankrupt them. :laughing: For us it was something like 3 drinks a day to break even on it, and I had no issues getting my money’s worth.

Definitely drop the littles off at the day camps a few days and enjoy the adults only areas, they’ll have more fun and you’ll get a chance to relax. My daughter really enjoyed the kids activities, and we enjoyed spending some time being adults.

Don't settle with one cruise line as the big 3 Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL have ships in all major US ports. They each offer different itineraries and promotions.

Whatever they don't give you for "free" with the cruise fare, I'd recommend prepaying before boarding the ship. This could be beverage, dining, internet or shore excursion packages. Just makes things easier and less painful when receiving your cruise stateroom bill

Have you already booked? I am new to the forum and my family cruise quite a bit. We have been on Princess, Disney and mostly Carnival. We have the Carnival Panorama booked for March 2020 and it is the new sister ship to the Vista class. I am a frequent visitor to the cruise critic forums (I have the same forum name there) and have done a lot of research on the Vista class of ships. I am not sure how old your kids are, but that would definitely affect what advice I would give. If you already booked, have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

We are thinking about taking a cruise next Summer. I would like to leave out of Charleston, SC or Norfolk, Va, so we can drive. It is possible to leave out of NYC. What is the best cruise line to take? Where do you recommend going to? How long of a trip for first timeer? Do's and dont's? Thank y'all for the help and information.

We are thinking about taking a cruise next Summer. I would like to leave out of Charleston, SC or Norfolk, Va, so we can drive. It is possible to leave out of NYC. What is the best cruise line to take? Where do you recommend going to? How long of a trip for first timeer? Do's and dont's? Thank y'all for the help and information.

Whole bunch of questions there with a lot of “it depends” answers!

I recommend short, 4-5 days. Short enough where if someone has motion sickness issues, it won’t be torture. If you love it, it’ll be just long enough.

If you like views, balcony. If you like to wander the ship and you’re never in your room, the view won’t do so much for you so why pay the extra? If someone is prone to motion sickness, lower and less views the better. Higher up, the more rock you’ll feel. Avoid a window view, cause the water visual might be a rough one.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are offering some pretty good deals right now, that might be worth looking into.

We have Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach, CA in March and Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas in June out of Pt. Canaveral, FL. The first cruise I ever did was 3 days and it wasn't long enough, but I have done a number of 5 day cruises and they are especially good for new cruisers as @MWard said. I am not sure if you are a Costco member, but they usually have some good deals on cruises.

We are huge Carnival fans and I think RCCL or Carnival would be a good cruise line for your first cruise considering your departure choice (eastern US). RCCL has better ships when I looked at that side of the country for June/July, but they didn't have anything posted for Charleston. If you choose RCCL, probably need to look at Baltimore or Bayonne, NJ. If you are ok with Carnival, they have some 4 and 5 days ones out of Charleston. I don't know any other line that does Charleston (or Norfolk).

As far as departure ports: sometimes the cruises out of the northeast are more expensive than a cheap flight and cruise out of Florida, so maybe consider FL? You have a lot more choices out of Florida because most every cruise line is represented there. For example, if you chose Celebrity cruise lines for June or July, you are limited to Cape Liberty, NJ or Ft. Lauderdale on the east coast.

When you narrow down a line or ship, check out cruisecritic.com They have reviews and details on every ship.

Only problem with carnival is you might get a lot more of the party scene than you might want for your first time. Granted, that’s basically most cruise lines haha.

cruisecritic is a great website. Crucon is a great site for booking. If there’s a deal, they know about it, no matter the cruise line.

Only problem with carnival is you might get a lot more of the party scene than you might want for your first time. Granted, that’s basically most cruise lines haha.

cruisecritic is a great website. Crucon is a great site for booking. If there’s a deal, they know about it, no matter the cruise line.
Especially on 3 day cruises. CCL staff basically just take pictures of the drunks. And then mop them up. I wasn’t impressed, but any 3 day cruise will be that way.

Any 3 day cruise will be a booze cruise. Even the 4 day cruise can be that way if it is Friday-Monday. I have done a number of cruises with our kids on Carnival and even did a 5 day spring break cruise and didn’t have a problem (it was Mon-Fri). Honestly, I had more issues with fellow cruisers on the ultra-expensive 5 day Disney cruise than I did with the spring break Carnival cruise.

My wife and I are known to have a really good time (maybe too good?) on a cruise ship and do not abstain from alcohol, so maybe that is why we enjoy Carnival? We did Princess to Alaska, Disney twice, and Carnival a number of times. Would love to try Celebrity and looking forward to RCCL. We enjoy cruising a lot!

Never been on a cruise. The idea of it sounds nice.

Never been on a cruise. The idea of it sounds nice.
It was around 1998 when my wife suggested we go on a cruise. I thought she was crazy and didn’t want to go and that is why I only agreed to do a 3 day cruise. Nowadays, until I found THP, I would have been happy spending every vacation day on cruises because I love them now.

Next week, we are spending a week family vacation not cruising and that was tough for me to commit to!

I don't think I would be a fan of going on a cruise, but its definitely on the bucket list.

If you have younger kids, Carnival is great for them. That’s what we did when my son was younger. Once he grew up, we went with NCL and never looked back. Start with a 3-4 day to get a feel of the experience. Now that it’s just my wife and I, all we do is cruises. Let someone else drive and make meals.

Last edited:
I was looking at one at the end of June. It would be right after my son graduates. But, if we go Memorial Day weekend, it's about $150 a person cheaper!

If have younger kids, Carnival is great for them. That’s what we did when my son was younger. Once he grew up, we went with NCL and never looked back. Start with a 3-4 day to get a feel of the experience. Now that it’s just my wife and I, all we do is cruises. Let someone else drive and make meals.

My son will be 18 and my daughter will be 3 1/2!

Taking the family on a Disney cruise before Christmas this year. Disney cruise fans are kinda cultish about this sort of thing. It's a little weird.

Taking the family on a Disney cruise before Christmas this year. Disney cruise fans are kinda cultish about this sort of thing. It's a little weird.
We did New Years Disney cruise and it was great. The ships decorated for Christmas is a lot of fun. If Disney wasn’t so expensive, I would cruise them exclusively. Our family are big Disney fans.

You say that, but it's more just the Disney vacation feel, but with unlimited soft drinks and 24 hour room service. Then again, every cruise is fun if you let it be.

I’ve been twice on cruises to the Bahamas. Royal Caribbean both times. Harmony of the Seas I think and I have no clue on the first. Great experiences both times and would pick them again if I go. I’ve heard too many bad/iffy experience with Carnival

You say that, but it's more just the Disney vacation feel, but with unlimited soft drinks and 24 hour room service. Then again, every cruise is fun if you let it be.
I love cruises. It's just Disney fanatics make me nervous. I'm expecting to have a great time, I'm looking forward to formal night because I love dressing up with the wife, but I've never really bought in to the cult of the Mouse. I've been to Disneyland, got the hat and such, it's just not my thing, I guess.

I love cruises. It's just Disney fanatics make me nervous. I'm expecting to have a great time, I'm looking forward to formal night because I love dressing up with the wife, but I've never really bought in to the cult of the Mouse. I've been to Disneyland, got the hat and such, it's just not my thing, I guess.

You'll still have a good time. Make a reservation for Palo, and you and the Mrs go enjoy a wonderful time. Brunch or dinner, both are phenomenal.

If you want to cruise out of Charleston and Carnival is a choice, I still say give them a try. I know that there are lots of bad stories about Carnival, but they are the largest cruise line in the world and do a lot of things right. Fun and affordable vacations is what I have always got from them. I have never had a bad cruise with any of the lines. We have found things that we like better and things that were worse on each line.

Last edited:
Disney cruise wrapping up in a few days in time for the big 12 championship.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191203094149175.jpg

Has not sucked.

Back