The Current State Of The Wilson Golf Brand

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
This is the most accurate depiction of the current state of the Wilson Golf brand! They just posted this on Instagram; congratulating themselves on 75K followers. I was curious so I looked up other brands on the ‘gram.
TaylorMade- 1Million followers
Titleist- 995K followers
Callaway- 863K followers

I really like Wilson/Staff products. They make great irons and golf balls! It just feels like they are the red-headed step child of golf. With the surge and ascendance of Tour Edge, I’m not sure Wilson is the top golf OEM in the Chicago area?!

I genuinely don't think you can gauge brand awareness solely off of an Instagram following, especially when you consider clientele. They hit a goal and are celebrating it.

To use your example, Tour Edge has less than 13k followers on the platform.

They had some steam there for awhile...then kind of just fell off the map. Unfortunate...

I have been a WS guy for a very long time. Their clubs have been in my bag off and on for 48 years. Have their irons in the bag right now and love em but.......keep looking at others....Ha They could use an updraft on social.

I genuinely don't think you can gauge brand awareness solely off of an Instagram following, especially when you consider clientele. They hit a goal and are celebrating it.

I agree with this statement.

While you’re right that they have issues I’m not sure social media is their biggest. I find WIlson Golf Canada to be better at sm than WIlson Golf US but that’s just my take.
A hybrid of W/S irons and Exotics woods would be an awesome Chicago company.

That is a fair point. But, the marketing departments and budgets for Wilson and Tour Edge have to be vastly different.

That is a fair point. But, the marketing departments and budgets for Wilson and Tour Edge have to be vastly different.

I dont think that is all that accurate in the golf space. Maybe?
I think Tour Edge did a tremendous job the last half of 2020 with their social stuff.

I just looked on instagram, Bettinardi is in the Chicago area and they have 75.1k followers.
While their not an OEM brand and they do not have all the clubs, I just thought it was interesting since your reference to the Chicago area.

Wilson gonna Wilson. Good products with no support, and some altogether undesirable products.

Bridgestone, Mizuno, and Srixon all have just north of 100K. Surprised these were so low.

They have a bit of that Nike DNA. They're a sporting goods company that happens to make golf clubs. They have more cache, because of nostalgia, but that only gets you so far. Otherwise people would still be playing Tommy Armour, Spalding, and MacGregor.

yeah, i think they just give golf "leftovers" from the rest of their sport lineup budgets...

I'm playing their irons and really like them, but I feel they suffer from a sort of antique'y reputation. They need to hire some marketing and social media gurus and maybe find themselves a way to separate their elite golf line completely from their "big box" products. Even their logo could use some pizzaz and updating.

Wilson is a bit of a tail of two cities..

Amazing.. And then What the heck!!

1609789663976.png 1609789747293.png

Really good to I am confused

1609789802970.png1609789844692.png

I game a W/S putter. Love it. I like the look of some of their irons, but I never think of them when I am pondering equipment. 🤷‍♂️

Wilson is a bit of a tail of two cities..

Amazing.. And then What the heck!!

View attachment 8986453 View attachment 8986454

Really good to I am confused

View attachment 8986455View attachment 8986456
I think the lines are blurred between the "Staff" models and the stuff you get at Walmart. It's strange, because Callaway and taylormade make little-known boxed sets as well and don't catch flack for it, but I digress. I think they'd benefit from making their GI stuff a little less outlandish.

I think the lines are blurred between the "Staff" models and the stuff you get at Walmart. It's strange, because Callaway and taylormade make little-known boxed sets as well and don't catch flack for it, but I digress. I think they'd benefit from making their GI stuff a little less outlandish.

I am not even talking about that.. Box sets in many ways are a good thing. Cobra makes some box sets are are killer. An amazing and affordable way to get into the game. It is their misguided marketing that trips me up.. They don't seem focused.

I am not even talking about that.. Box sets in many ways are a good thing. Cobra makes some box sets are are killer. An amazing and affordable way to get into the game. It is their misguided marketing that trips me up.. They don't seem focused.
I think this hits it on the head. The baller box concept was a real flop from the moment it launched, almost as if someone took a look at the Vice and Barstool marketing efforts and tried to blend them. Wilson has a pedigree and some loyal (and often nostalgic) followers and fans. It would be great to see them market that message, as opposed to the "case of beer and case of balls for the course" that the "baller box" nomenclature suggested. I would also love to see an update to the V6 iron, maybe even with an enclosed back.

I think this hits it on the head. The baller box concept was a real flop from the moment it launched, almost as if someone took a look at the Vice and Barstool marketing efforts and tried to blend them. Wilson has a pedigree and some loyal (and often nostalgic) followers and fans. It would be great to see them market that message, as opposed to the "case of beer and case of balls for the course" that the "baller box" nomenclature suggested. I would also love to see an update to the V6 iron, maybe even with an enclosed back.

Isnt the update the Wilson staff CB iron? I think it looks pretty good. Some of their tech story is a little strange, but the irons looks solid.

The nostalgic loyalty you reference is real. Wilson Staff will always catch my attention.

I know that they have very good products but it just seems like they are on a course to become a box set type of company. At least that's the vision I have of them. I'd love to see a modern, updated marketing campaign from them to energize the brand.

Awesome news for Wilson Staff!

The current state of the Wilson Golf brand:

I do not know about you, but anytime Gary Woodland is featured or mentioned, it grabs my attention.

Ben Hogan has 53.5k and closing in on that that 75k.

Back