The dreaded CHYIPS

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I am not sure if this term has been used before or if it even should be but I have the "chyips" or the chipping yips. I practice chipping and pitching constantly because I can do it at work without driving to the course. I am quite good at it during practice but it is a weakness for me at the course. I know its in my head but its more than a matter of trying a different technique.

I think that I need to read up on the mental side of golf. I would bet that if there is a cure for this ailment it would apply to other aspects of my game. Have you found a good resource to help you in this regard?

"chyips" sounds like something a fat sassy redneck would say when he goes to a mexican restaurant and orders some qwayso and chyips

it is so mental! i think it's because it's a relatively small motion, but there's a large premium placed on accuracy. to get up and down you need to get the ball inside a 6' circle, and that's often difficult to do. so we rush, we tense up, we peek, we decel, blah blah blah.

larry cheung recently posted a video on his youtube channel addressing the chipping yips. it's a short video, but several of the things he said resonated with me. chipping yips have been a plague on my game for some time, maybe this year the worst it's ever been. after watching his video and thinking about it during my round, i had the best 3 days of short game success i've had all year playing in texas with some thp'ers.

"chyips" sounds like something a fat sassy redneck would say when he goes to a mexican restaurant and orders some qwayso and chyips

Hahaha, qwayso!

Hahaha, qwayso!

my in-laws live in southeast alabama, both grew up in pretty small towns in lower alabama. they both refer to the delicious exterior of a taco as a "tor-TILL-ya."

I chipped a ball sideways at the Srixon event last year....100% lack of confidence and thoughts in my head. The thing I have worked on is focus and trusting my shot. Threw me for a loop but I recovered.

I have struggled with deceleration on my forward swing on chip shorts, always concerned that i am going to over hit the ball. A couple months ago I played two rounds with @Greg Kulbick in Orlando and he gave me some advice that turned it around big time since then, which is to use the "oh s*hit" stroke, which is to bring the club just far back enough to where you think that if you don's swing through, you are not going to make the distance with the shot. it has really helped me get out of my head and just focus on making sold, easy contact.

I am sure he can explain it better.

LOL, it's the panic stroke. Shorten your back swing to the point you panic, and it forces you to accelerate through the ball. Pretty much magic. Well, it works for me because if I decelerate I chunk it. This prevents that.

I hadn't thought of this but I have them. Or maybe I'm just bad at it. Which ever I think I've been looking at too many different things to address problem. I had some decent chips with the toe down method over the weekend but I was still jabby, flinchy at times.

I've got lesson this week to work on it. But I'm at the point where

es-d-piss-ona-spark-plug-ifi-thought-itd-do-35544941.png

LOL, it's the panic stroke. Shorten your back swing to the point you panic, and it forces you to accelerate through the ball. Pretty much magic. Well, it works for me because if I decelerate I chunk it. This prevents that.
Much more eloquent than what I said.

I spend less time over the ball when chipping than other shot type because of this. It's really easy to get in your own way mentally over a chip shot.

I practice from all kinds of lies, and know what I should be doing, so I get to my ball, look at the lie, decide on a club, get in position, think 'left wrist, loose turn' and just hit it. Think myself into a yip on a putt, and I come up a little short. I do it on a chip, and I might still be chipping.

Develop a good technique and preshot routine with your chipping practice. Now, take that same routine to the course and you'll be fine

If you are unsure, get a lesson from a pro. Make sure he gives you a routine you can be comfortable with.

I dread chipping, but I find some days are better than others. I have a tendency to look up, or rush the stroke. When I make a conscious effort to hit through the ball, I usually do fine.

I am not sure if this term has been used before or if it even should be but I have the "chyips" or the chipping yips. I practice chipping and pitching constantly because I can do it at work without driving to the course. I am quite good at it during practice but it is a weakness for me at the course. I know its in my head but its more than a matter of trying a different technique.

I think that I need to read up on the mental side of golf. I would bet that if there is a cure for this ailment it would apply to other aspects of my game. Have you found a good resource to help you in this regard?

You are not alone. Plenty of Tour pros have suffered from chipping yips. It's an affliction similar to putting yips.

I agree with you and have observed that most all good chippers use a relatively short back swing. In contrast, the guys who struggle with chipping usually make a long back swing, and from there they either blade the ball or chunk it.

Back