The Dreaded Putting Yips - Confined to Putting Only - Or is Dystonia The Cause?

Last edited:
Then I went to the practice putting green and suddenly my right hand started flinching, and curiously enough not on the practice swing but on the actual swing to strike the ball.
Reads not unlike the problem I used to have hitting the ball with anything other than a putter. I could execute practice swings nicely. Step up to the ball, swing, and disaster. Dunno. One day I noticed the problem had simply disappeared *shrug*

Reads not unlike the problem I used to have hitting the ball with anything other than a putter. I could execute practice swings nicely. Step up to the ball, swing, and disaster. Dunno. One day I noticed the problem had simply disappeared *shrug*
Sometimes I think it's due to "over-thinking" or as another posted "second-guessing".

CBD works wonders for YIPS...a friend told me 😂

Spend some time practicing and really concentrate on pulling back and through using your big muscles...I feel it more near my scapulas on each side...Pull/Pull

This is what I do - the big muscles pull and pull - and it goes a lot better when I finish feeling as if the front shoulder is going up to finish --

But I do believe we need to stay athletic over the ball and move the feet up and down slightly to stay athletic. But you've got to look and go. My eyes are still for a second or two at the spot on the back of the ball and stay there. And stay relaxed.

My front shoulder is external, the rear shoulder is internal (ala Pat O'Brien) with the front forearm resting against the side of the ribs for support - then pull and pull,

This is what I do - the big muscles pull and pull - and it goes a lot better when I finish feeling as if the front shoulder is going up to finish --

But I do believe we need to stay athletic over the ball and move the feet up and down slightly to stay athletic. But you've got to look and go. My eyes are still for a second or two at the spot on the back of the ball and stay there. And stay relaxed.

My from shoulder is external, the rear shoulder is internal (ala Pat O'Brien) with the front forearm resting against the side of the ribs for support - then pull and pull,
Pat O is awesome...listen to that guy 👍

Pat O is awesome...listen to that guy 👍

I first went to Pat in 2009 - actually, sent my son to him. Then I went. Went back right before Covid for my other son. I am scheduling another lesson with him pronto. He's changed things a bit.

Back