The Driver is the Bane of Amateur Golfers w/ Over 14 HC

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
Change My Mind.

I hit 35% fairways with my driver. I end up with 2 penalty strokes once a round + a few positioning shots after errant tee shots. Of course there are some tee shots that end up in the rough a couple to a few yds off the fairway. But there are around 40% that end up 20 yds outside the boundaries of the fairway. I hit 50% fairways with my 5W. There are a few times I'm 20 yds. right. I never have had to take a penalty drop. Most of the misses end up in the rough.

The driver, being the longest club in the bag in both length and distance, and lowest in loft next to the putter is the most difficult to control. It requires a skill set that requires a lot of practice. Yes, it is fun to hit when things are going well. When things are not going well, it is a source of frustration. I see people practicing with this club at the driving range and all but a few can hit it straightish. Most people spray it all over the place. I've taken lessons specifically for hitting this club, yet they have made little difference. I know I'm giving up distance if I don't use it, but if I have to hit a positioning shot after my tee shot, did I really give up distance? The idea about giving up distance assumes you hit the ball in play.

I have a love - hate relationship with this club. Right now it's hate. A month ago it was love. It's the bane of amateur golfers with over a 14 handicap. Change my mind.

I fully agree. I've been coming around with it, but it is quick to remind me how fickle it can be. Working a lot to try to get things right, but it's tough. definitely a frustrating club for me.

Having a playable drive has a huge impact on score. It burns a lot of 14+ hcers for sure. All range of handicaps for that matter. I love a good driving day and want to throw my clubs in the drink on a bad driving day.

I can agree with this. When I had gotten down to single digits, my driver was working. When I went back up, it wasn’t working.

I can get behind this idea. When I stopped hitting driver last season, my hcp went down. When I decided to really work on honing driver this summer, my hcp went up. Like you, it's the penalty strokes off the tee that really add up quick!

I can't change your mind. I have a lot of issues from outside 100 yards, but man if my driver is on I can put up some good scores. If it's not, man can I put some big numbers πŸ˜‚

Personally I think driver is way easier to hit than a fairway wood. A driver is about 3 times the size of a fairway wood and only slightly longer. You can also hit a driver successfully with a wide range of angles of attack which isn't as true of a fairway wood. IMO the only reason a driver goes farther offline than a FW is because it goes farther.

The driver gives pros fits too. They're constantly pointing left and right. Keeping in mind its fickleness, the potential danger, and how it's working for you that day is important to managing your game well.

I think you’d be surprised how erratic single digit handicaps perform with theirs too. It’s all about evaluating risks. The driver is the hardest club to control for everyone except maybe Rory. IMO you should play tees that don’t absolutely require you need driver distance off the tee to play them until you are able to fully control it better.

I guess I’m an outlier. I’m a 17.8 hcp and after 5 rounds on shot scope I’m gaining over 2 strokes per round off the tee versus a 10 hcp and its by far my strongest category. I can get wild and the penalties definitely hurt me but I also have good power and can put my drives way out there which is a big advantage. Most of my low scores happen when I get hot with the driver.

Best round this year I only used driver 3 times so I have no ammo to change your mind at the moment.

That said, the rest of my ballstriking was also on point. I've had rounds where good driving had my in good spots and I messed it up from there.

I am all for bagging it on bad days, but think the distance is too much to permanently walk away from the club, in my opinion.

I can’t change your mind… but I’m worse than a 14hc and it doesn’t apply to me. Maybe a large percentage of other not great golfers, but definitely not all :)

According to Arccos my driving isn’t really my issue.
1660103349427.png
My issue is approach shots. This is my shots gained vs. an 18hc. My current goal is to get to a consistent bogey player. If I can clean up the approach shots I’ll be much closer…

1660103244993.png

Last edited:
It’s also about the tool for the fool lol , many buy something that’s completely opposite to what they essentially require but ego takes over and they see advertising of what your player uses …”Gotta have one of them β€œ and the game goes to sh1t . Being fitted and knowing capabilities addresses a portion this not trying to drive the green from the tee and basic technique , and play within limitations will all co tribute to better scoring potential .

Iam a 19/18 hcp and get 220-250 y @ nearly 62 yo. I was adequate driver , with new driver fit for me lve missed fairways in last 2 rounds twice only .

But do get the 3w or hybrid off the tee also , strategy and β€œ course management β€œ contribute also.

I've had a couple of good driving days but they are few and far between. I've shot all of my personal best rounds with it squarely away in the bag. I can play any course around here with a 230 4W (<6500 yards). I think having a shorter approach shot in to greens will be what gets me to single digits eventually but until I can hit the driver without penalty on even wide open holes it's not worth it.

I love my driver, love my putter too.

Damn wedges give me fits.

Personally I think driver is way easier to hit than a fairway wood. A driver is about 3 times the size of a fairway wood and only slightly longer. You can also hit a driver successfully with a wide range of angles of attack which isn't as true of a fairway wood. IMO the only reason a driver goes farther offline than a FW is because it goes farther.
See, I understand this should be the case, but i hit my 3w pretty decently and not driver. I know for me it is that i swing like an idiot wanting to kill it though.

Not just 14+ handicappers either, you watch any pro tournament and you'll often see the field spraying the ball about all over the place, the huge difference is that those guys are absolute wizards at recovery shots and scrambling pars from awkward spots off the green. I'm very much of the view that you don't have be be hitting frozen ropes off the tee, but as long as you can relatively consistently get the ball playable off the tee then you're good. It's then a case of being able to get up and down more frequently from inside 50 yards that will rescue the score.

I shortened my driver to 43.5 and that made me more confident.

When I play other courses than my home course I use to write a note about which club to hit from each tee. and there use to be alot of 5w, just to keep my ball in play.

last time I did this, I went bogey free and had my lowest this year.

I play driver at the holes that are not to tight.

I love hitting my 3W as its very reliable for me and not that much shorter than driver.

However, I recently chopped my driver down to 44 inches and that has become much more reliable too.

So now if a hole is tight with trouble on both sides I take 3W, if not then Big D comes out

See, I understand this should be the case, but i hit my 3w pretty decently and not driver. I know for me it is that i swing like an idiot wanting to kill it though.
This is my issue too I’ve been trying to remember β€˜slow is smooth, smooth is fast’ but I’ll get up to the ball and try to crush it because my lizard brain takes over. It’s a real problem. I played my best golf this season on a day I was a little under the weather and just took easy swings with all of my clubs.

New shaft and driver lesson last week and I am hoping this helps. Love -hate relationship for sure. I do love hitting my 3w but the stubborn part of me really wants to hit that big stick!

Fully agree, and I don't even think it's fun to hit. I don't even enjoy the good hits with it because it's the one shot in golf that can never really get you near the hole. I realize I'm in the minority on this cause most people love to smash the driver, but I can't even mentally enjoy the good ones cause ultimately it's still gonna be 75+ yards from the hole.

It's my least favorite slot in the golf bag, always has been.

Back