The driver - to hover or not to hover?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you hover the driver or ground it before you swing?

I have been doing some testing on the launch monitor and here are some interesting numbers when hovering the driver versus not hovering it. Take these numbers with a grain of salt because they are from my launch monitor, but they give you an idea of what is different. You data crunchers may see something totally different than I do.

When I hover the driver it appears I swing through the ball at around 5 degrees less launch angle which seems more strikes were better. I noticed not near as many mishits and yet I thought there would be more than when grounding the driver.

Notice swing speed, ball speed, and smash factor are pretty much identical, but the real differences are in the launch angle, apex, and the spin. It is fairly obvious when I ground the driver and swing, I tend to swing up more and get a lot more spin.

More spin can often indicate poor accuracy, but that is not always the case. I would really like to try this on the course and see how my accuracy is. I may have to give it a shot tomorrow.:

Not - hovering the driver yesterday:
  • 20 swings
  • Average Carry - 233.7
  • Max Carry - 247.5
  • Swing Speed - 96.0
  • Ball Speed - 140.5
  • Launch Angle - 19.9
  • Smash Factor - 1.47
  • Spin - 3675
  • Apex - 134.5

Hovering the driver today (17 more swings than yesterday):
  • 37 swings
  • Average Carry - 237.1
  • Max Carry - 258.9
  • Swing Speed - 96.0
  • Ball Speed - 141
  • Launch Angle - 14.3
  • Smash Factor - 1.47
  • Spin - 2832
  • Apex - 84.6

I will try hovering the driver tonight.

I don't because I like to remove all tension before the swing. I know many others that do.

Interesting. SS and ballspeed are pretty much identical but your launch conditions seem to be improved. I may try it and see how it works. I have never been a hover guy.

Really interesting. Always been a non hover person but those numbers may make me at least give it a look next time I’m at the range

I was doing some research on the Internet and it seems it works for some people and for some it doesn't. Just like all things in golf, we are all different and unique and what works for one might not work for another. I am not even sure it is something that will work for me, but I plan to try it out and see.

I do not hover. My kid has been hovering recently. Seems to be working for him. I guess we're all different.

Started hovering maybe 5 years ago and never went back. I like the tension free thing JB mentioned, but I feel like I need to hover to make sure I am aligned with the sweet spot on the club face. Also, I don't like the club to drag on the way back. ;)

I don't because I like to remove all tension before the swing. I know many others that do.
I was thinking it would create more tension too because you are carrying the weight of the club. There is an argument that because you are carrying the weight of the club that your hands are ready and the takeaway becomes much smoother that off the ground. I am not sure I agree with that.

I read that some folks hover their irons and woods. I don't think I could hover my irons at all because I already feel that I need it secure on the ground at the ball. Probably would result in disaster for me.

I never really thought too much about it, but I never ground my driver, I don't think I ever did. :confused2:

When I remember to, I hover slightly to the point of barely grazing the grass. I believe it overcomes the slight resistance grounding the club might have. It also kind of forces you to be steady just before you initiate the swing. OTOH you really need to focus/calm at that crucial moment. It probably helps but I have no definitive proof of that.

I do both. I ground the driver behind the ball to check tee height and get set up. Then I hover for my swing.

Hovering is good because it flattens your swing angle off the tee. Coming in too steep is what leads to slices and a loss of distance

Never have because I felt most comfortable with it on the ground to remove tension. But trying it on the range wouldn’t hurt to see how it feels.

I started hovering this year a few inches behind the ball & it has helped for my slice to not be as bad as it was.

The spin and apex are the real difference in my eyes. You could gain even more by lofting up with that hover, I’m guessing.

That’s really interesting. I’m going to have to give this a try. I’ve typically been hovering, but will try and ground.

Both as well, I don't like to hover for long because tension builds, so I set, hover and waggle, swing.

I hovered for a few years in the 90's with a lot of success. I think I stopped because I tended to have a slight forward motion as a trigger to my swing and I'd knock the ball off of the tee a lot. I'm going to try it again though!

Will try this next time on range. I’ve always felt more comfortable not hovering but will give the hover some practice next time.

I'm in the release tension before I swing group, but I have noticed that when I'm trying to keep one low, I naturally hover a tic longer when I pick up the club. Like I'm re-grounding it, off the ground.

Interested to hear what you find out on course.

Another ground guy here. Never liked the aforementioned tension feel.

I have actually found that hovering the club reduces tension. You can grip it lighter. I hover just a little-not like Matt Kuchar.

Ground it while getting setup, then hover, tap the ground and, fire!🔥

Back