The End Of An Era

I've been wanting a smart car myself. I would drive the heck out of one! And when the motor goes I'd drop a a hyabusa motor in it for a little pocket rocket! The paint scheme you chose should compliment the range finder nicely.

Impressive that it can fit a golf bag, Im actually stunned by that. Are you going to bring it to demo day for beer runs?

Absolutely. It will be pushing our Tour Van everywhere.

Ha - I like that.

Smart Car - powering the THP Tour Van since April 2012

Curious did you compare this with other small cars and what was the deciding factor for the Smart? I know the towing with four on the ground was probably a huge thing. Anything else?

Curious did you compare this with other small cars and what was the deciding factor for the Smart? I know the towing with four on the ground was probably a huge thing. Anything else?

Absolutely. It really came down to safety rating. The more we dug into it, the better it was. I was scared to death at first...In fact called it a coffin on wheels. However when I started researching it, I found it how wrong I was. The safety was the top feature along with towing 4 down.

A little modification to the back end and you have a golf cart as well!

Absolutely. It really came down to safety rating. The more we dug into it, the better it was. I was scared to death at first...In fact called it a coffin on wheels. However when I started researching it, I found it how wrong I was. The safety was the top feature along with towing 4 down.

Could you tow a Mini 4 down? What makes a car able to be towed 4 down anyway? Obviously I know nothing about that stuff.

Could you tow a Mini 4 down? What makes a car able to be towed 4 down anyway? Obviously I know nothing about that stuff.

You can, but it appeared to need some altering to the front end. We looked long and hard at the mini, and almost pulled the trigger. Two things went against it.
1. Price - The Smart Car was 6k less with all the features we wanted. Then add to that the braking system needed and we were at almost 10k difference.
2. Safety - The Smart Car was rated higher in safety overall.

You can, but it appeared to need some altering to the front end. We looked long and hard at the mini, and almost pulled the trigger. Two things went against it.
1. Price - The Smart Car was 6k less with all the features we wanted. Then add to that the braking system needed and we were at almost 10k difference.
2. Safety - The Smart Car was rated higher in safety overall.

Wow yeah I can see why you went with the Smart, that is a huge difference. What about those little Fiat 500's I think theyre called? How did they stack up? Ive seen a ton of them around lately.

Wow yeah I can see why you went with the Smart, that is a huge difference. What about those little Fiat 500's I think theyre called? How did they stack up? Ive seen a ton of them around lately.

That was the last comparison. There are questions on them. Some say they can be towed 4 down with no issues. However the warranty and the company say a dolly is "preferred". Depending on the state you live, you would still need the braking system in about 20 states and they are a little more money. I also preferred driving the Smart in all honesty.

Feel smarter since purchasing one?

how did this thread get to 5 pages? People must love smart cars.

I wanted to add to what JB said. Only the Fiat with a manual transmission can be towed 4 down and we really didn't want a manual transmission, and by we I mean me. I have only driven a stick shift a handful of times, I much prefer an automatic.

I must say, I can dog you all day long, but I have secretly wanted on of these for a while, especially as a broke college student (soon to be).

I wanted to add to what JB said. Only the Fiat with a manual transmission can be towed 4 down and we really didn't want a manual transmission, and by we I mean me. I have only driven a stick shift a handful of times, I much prefer an automatic.

But the manual is so much better in the snow!

I used to think these were the most ridiculous looking cars, and to an extent I still do but I have to say this thing is FUN to drive!

I used to think these were the most ridiculous looking cars, and to an extent I still do but I have to say this thing is FUN to drive!
I think TC and I should go for a drive in one and it will look like a clown car when we get out.

I always assumed that Northerners just had bad dandruff, and thats what the white flaky stuff they talk about is.
I am from Florida, I don't know this snow thing you are talking about.

Plus these Smart's really retain some value. They're like an enigma in the car biz and they're damn hard to find.

I was wondering what you two were planning to do about getting around in the areas you visit in the Rangefinder, nice choice and I really like the colors.

I have a friend that has one and I have ridden in it and driven it....scared the carp out of me first time we hit the highway and were next to an 18 wheeler...LOL

For what you guys are using it for, it makes alot of sense....Congrats!

I dig it. Considering what you'll be spending to fuel the RV it makes even more sense. I've been seeing quite a few of these on the road now that spring is here.

a693711b-884a-6954.jpg

Back