The Equipment Ceiling

I'd really love a premium brand for 'illegal' clubs for the masses
I'm torn between wanting to play the same rules as the pro's and wanting a magic club that just goes straight everytime. At the end of the day it's pretty unique to be able to compete on the same courses with the same rules as the guys you see on tv.

I played a couple of weeks ago with a KZG SP700 model driver, 355 CC head size produced about 16 years ago. Distance was the same as as the G400 driver I played for most of 2019 but the impact sound of the old driver is much sweeter. Also, I find the 355CC easier to swing/square at impact, so my accuracy/control is a bit better than with the G400.
This kind of thing is why am dubious about "new and improved" equipment claims.

I'm torn between wanting to play the same rules as the pro's and wanting a magic club that just goes straight everytime. At the end of the day it's pretty unique to be able to compete on the same courses with the same rules as the guys you see on tv.

I'd also like to see the pro's play my local goat tracks under the conditions. They are indeed spoiled.

I'd really love a premium brand for 'illegal' clubs for the masses

Callaway trotted out the ERC, which I think was a low point for Callaway and Arnold Palmer, the guy they got to try and sell it.

I'd also like to see the pro's play my local goat tracks under the conditions. They are indeed spoiled.
Ha yeah would love to see them playing the local executives I spend my days hacking around.

I played a couple of weeks ago with a KZG SP700 model driver, 355 CC head size produced about 16 years ago. Distance was the same as as the G400 driver I played for most of 2019 but the impact sound of the old driver is much sweeter. Also, I find the 355CC easier to swing/square at impact, so my accuracy/control is a bit better than with the G400.
This kind of thing is why am dubious about "new and improved" equipment claims.

We have a buddy that plays some really old KZG irons and his wedges are pretty old as well. He plays lights out with them. The newest clubs he has is a Callaway Driver that is probably 6 years old and a TaylorMade hybrid that is probably 6 years old as well. He usually shoots in the upper 70's and only plays about 3 times a month.

When and where does equipment hit the "ceiling" in regards to the rules of golf? I mean every year the driver's released are faster, longer and more forgiving that the last model. Same with irons, hybrids and fairway metals. Same with the golf ball.

Please don't misunderstand, I am all for equipment continuing to evolve and improve our games and I am not trying to stir the point, but at some point don't we reach a point where the equipment maxes out what the USGA rules will allow? What would be the next step when the ceiling is hit?!?
As far as COR off the clubface, that was maxed out years ago. What they seem to be improving is retaining that number on less than perfect hits and increasing clubhead speed. Your guess is as good as mine as to when that will eventually max itself out.

I don’t see any limits being placed on equipment. I think companies will push the edge and when it time to cross the edge, negations will happen.

Golf is no longer a game of tradition so innovation will continue until it doesn’t.

I don't see an end to equipment improvement anytime soon. The question is when do they put restrictions on what the pros can play.
Not a fan of this idea at all. The bifurcation of rules for pros is a hot topic and I'll never be an advocate of the pros playing a different game than the rest of us. It's the one thing about golf that makes it unique to all other sports. In other sports, rules are tweaked at different levels to accommodate skill levels. Golf isn't like that and I appreciate that unique quality. Though 99.9% will NEVER reach that level of proficiency of the game, I like that we are all measured with the same set of scales.

Not a fan of this idea at all. The bifurcation of rules for pros is a hot topic and I'll never be an advocate of the pros playing a different game than the rest of us. It's the one thing about golf that makes it unique to all other sports. In other sports, rules are tweaked at different levels to accommodate skill levels. Golf isn't like that and I appreciate that unique quality. Though 99.9% will NEVER reach that level of proficiency of the game, I like that we are all measured with the same set of scales.

I agree and don't see any sensible reason for bifurcation of Rules. If tour pros start routinely shooting 57 so what ? It's just a number.
The 2019 lowest scoring average was Rory's 69, so I don't see any "problem" with equipment, courses etc...

She is wearing #59 for the Jacksonville Jaguars because she is a fan of Preston Brown, linebacker who played a game for the Raiders last season ?
Screenshot_20200116-130109_Chrome.jpg

Carolina Panthers

Luke Kuechly

At the end of the day it's pretty unique to be able to compete on the same courses with the same rules as the guys you see on tv.

This.

Oh man there are some doozies in here.

If materials continue to improve, so too will performance.

I always love the “on the button” they’re all the same argument when about 5% of golfers truly find that button regularly.

We have a buddy that plays some really old KZG irons and his wedges are pretty old as well. He plays lights out with them. The newest clubs he has is a Callaway Driver that is probably 6 years old and a TaylorMade hybrid that is probably 6 years old as well. He usually shoots in the upper 70's and only plays about 3 times a month.

Is Dana Golf of Warner Robins still open for business ?

Is Dana Golf of Warner Robins still open for business ?

Yes and no. Dana retired a couple years ago. The location was sold and now owned by Brandon Black. Brandon does a great job and is getting better all the time. Dana spent a lot of time training, teaching and showing Brandon the ropes if the business. It is now called The Golf Improvement Center.

I did some business with Dana 15 years ago, he provided to me excellent service.

I agree and I LOVE that aspect of the game. I'm newer to golf but hear a lot about how todays pros are just too long for the courses they're playing. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of changing iconic courses to make them harder. Partly for the same reason, 51 weeks a year they are played by amateurs like us just out there for fun. Maybe it means newer courses or just changing a few on tour but I would like to see the game be more challenging for the current pros and see them get back to needing to hit a wider range of shots around the course. Mainly so I can see Tiger keep winning lol.

Back