The Explanar Putting Mat Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting practice at home has not only gotten more popular with people stuck inside over the past year, but brought more options. What used to be that simple turf that shed all over the place to robust custom offerings that give multiple speeds and moveable breaks. Somewhere in the middle should be a sweet spot that offers true roll, solid construction and stows away easily. The Explanar Putting Mat hopes to accomplish that.

Touched on briefly in the video above, but cannot be stressed enough is the construction of the mat in general. When it arrived in the box and we rolled it out, with most mats in this price range, you have to give it some time to settle lay flat. The Explanar Putting Mat was flat instantly and each time we stowed it away and pulled it back out, it was in perfect working order immediately.

After watching the video above, what are your thoughts? Do you think it would assist in your putting? For more information, check out their website at www.explanarusa.com.

The Details
Available: Now
Cost: $147 or $169 (size)
Length: 10 or 13 ft

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of the alignment help on the angled putts. Way easier to keep a reference to the hole via design than just being forced to practice a straight putt ad nauseum. The angled putts feel like you’re actually practicing your alignment and have some reference to it all.

Solid review Dan

Looks interesting but I'm too used to the ball falling down the hole and coming back with the Perfect Practice matt now. :)

Big fan of the alignment help on the angled putts. Way easier to keep a reference to the hole via design than just being forced to practice a straight putt ad nauseum. The angled putts feel like you’re actually practicing your alignment and have some reference to it all.

Solid review Dan

The angled putt is one of my favorite features.

I can't say enough about how the internal lines force you to shrink your expectations - and I love that.

Spend enough time on this thing, and I really struggle to see how alignment isn't your biggest strength in putting.

Great video @Canadan ... This looks like the best training mat out there.

Review was helpful. The reviewer should have tied his shoes. The untiled shoes were distracting. :LOL:

Thats a pretty good price and if it lays flat automatically thats an awesome feature, especially if you need to put it away at times. .

Nice review @Canadan love the videos! I might have to get one of these with how bad i am struggling right now with putting.

While I am throwing some money into savings for a pro-putt or fiberbuilt putting mat/system, this is very tempting short term. I am not fully satisfied with the PuttOut mat as it still wants to crease right in the middle, even when I've tried to iron it flat a bit.
Trying to decide what size of this might be best for me.

Great review.

Great review. I think this could be very beneficial. Able to do angled puts instead of just straight putting! Trade in all my putting mats for this one!

While I am throwing some money into savings for a pro-putt or fiberbuilt putting mat/system, this is very tempting short term. I am not fully satisfied with the PuttOut mat as it still wants to crease right in the middle, even when I've tried to iron it flat a bit.
Trying to decide what size of this might be best for me.

Great review.
I think when it comes to mats like this, there are two things that are pretty critical;

1 - Do you get a flat, decent roll off the ball
2 - Does it improve a part of your putting game

I definitely have concerns with creasing and creating grooves in a putting mat, so when I'm looking for something to lay down in my house like this, it NEEDS to elevate something about my stroke - and I think there's a couple elements about the Explanar that can really help.

I think when it comes to mats like this, there are two things that are pretty critical;

1 - Do you get a flat, decent roll off the ball
2 - Does it improve a part of your putting game

I definitely have concerns with creasing and creating grooves in a putting mat, so when I'm looking for something to lay down in my house like this, it NEEDS to elevate something about my stroke - and I think there's a couple elements about the Explanar that can really help.

This is the huge selling point for me.
I am in love with the Hole More Putts device and tech. But I need something for it to translate the drills to when I cannot make it to the course. A mat I have no confidence in isn't really helping.

Love the fact it lays flat right away. That is huge! It is pretty wide and I noticed your feet were on both the floor and the mat when using the center line. Was that something that bothered you at all while testing something you didn’t really even notice?

Great review @Canadan. Getting to see it in action and how it rolls very ture.

Ok, fine....take my money! (y)👊

Great review @Canadan. Getting to see it in action and how it rolls very ture.

Ok, fine....take my money! (y)👊

I was told this morning, they are available currently and are shipping.

I was told this morning, they are available currently and are shipping.

Great, I'm on their website now, debating between the 10 and 13 foot. Any THP discount codes on these, JB? They're really affordable, and I'm still going to buy one...just curious.

I just bought the 10 foot mat...looking forward to getting it and having a solid mat to practice on. (y)

Great, I'm on their website now, debating between the 10 and 13 foot. Any THP discount codes on these, JB? They're really affordable, and I'm still going to buy one...just curious.

Actually we dont. Just a product I really liked when I got a chance to try it and wanted to share it with THPers.

Looks awesome. Really dig all the alignment aids. But truth be told, I hate practicing and I'd probably never use it.

Good video. I grabbed a 13ft version as I was tired of having a large putting green that dominated the room, that I honestly didn't care for. This seems to work for my needs so far. It does lay flat right out of the box. I had the tiniest bit of roll still evident on the end by the hole, but nothing that impacted rolling puts and it cleared itself up pretty quickly. Need to spend more time practicing on it clearly, but I've also found the speed to be closer to what I'm seeing on the course vs. my previous green.

Alright the Hole More Putts device is going to fit perfectly over the Explanar logo/black block area.
Going to order the 10' today to replace my puttout.

Great video! Before that 10 footer I was going to ask if the hole was funneled to make everything haha. Seriously though it looks like a great training aid. I'm not one to be super fond of practicing putting but this has some elements that I like compared to other mats I've seen previously

I'll also echo Dan and JB here in that the diagonal off center putts offer a good way to mix it up with a different visual alignment aid.

I want a putting mat that I can lay down out by the pool. I feel I would use it more instead of just laying it down on the floor in the house. Not sure this would work laying on the pavers around the pool. How thick is the mat?

Back