The Final Countdown - JMB3's Grandaddy Prep

JMB3

Reaction score
Hey, Everyone!

The team is now complete and we are 55 days from the greatest golf experience of our lives! The addition of @j_sizzle9 today really makes things feel real. I'm so happy to welcome him to one of the greatest groups ever assembled. And I mean that earnestly. This team is constructed of genuinely good people who make every new teammate feel right at home. We all have the benefit, moreover, of two truly great leaders in @McLovin and @mikeg_74. They have our backs, guide us, and instill confidence in everyone of us. Perhaps most importantly, they created the culture that this group thrives on and which has brought us all closer together.

As you may have seen already, two Grandaddy greats, @dacatalyst41 and @KEV, released their interview with me and Dan (@badolds), so I won't spend much time on my background. While this team is primarily comprised of absolute sticks, I'm one of the hacks. I'll be representing the high caps of THP, and I'm proud to do so. I know our captains are giving lots of thought to the pairings, and with my pops, I know my twosomes can be dangerous.

I spent the first month on the Grandaddy team underwater at work (I'm a commercial litigator), but did my best to get to know the guys and golf whenever I could. Now that I have a bit of a respite, it's time to get to work. For me, I play my best golf when my body is right and my short game is sharp. And with snow likely in my near future (hopefully, not until November...), it's crunch time. And as a type A personality, I like to commit to lists of goals, so here is my plan for our final 50+ days!

Diet

I went fairly strict Keto this spring and early summer, losing 33 pounds. I've stayed mostly low carb, but cheat way more often now than I did back then. I'm back up about 5 pounds (right around 212-13), but I'd like to get to 205 for the Grandaddy. I'm pretty lean at 205, and when my body fat is down, so too is my inflammation. To get to 205, I'm jumping back on Keto (as of yesterday), and I will mix in some intermittent fasting during the week.

Exercise

I like to lift weights, but nowadays it takes a couple days to recover and my swing feels like garbage until I do. Until December, I'll likely focus on lightweight circuits and body weight movements, along with flexibility/stability and cardio work. Here is my plan:

- DDP Yoga at least twice per week;
- Cardio at least twice per week, followed by stretching;
- 1 day per week of an intense strength/movement workout (e.g., circuits with weights or medicine balls, plyos); and
- Core exercises every other day, even if its just sets of planks to exhaustion.

The latter is essential to keeping my back strong and able to withstand lots of swings--which is often the case when your HDCP is as high as mine. :LOL: @zbeekner4 feel free to weigh in with more ideas on how to get my body prepared!

Golf

This year has been an oddly wet summer and fall in Wisconsin, which has made it difficult to get out and play. With winter around the corner, though, I want to take as much advantage of the nice fall weather we have. Here is my plan:

- Golf lesson every other week. I have a coach at GG, who has been quite helpful. My biggest problem this year has been getting my weight stuck on my front foot, and then starting the transition too quickly with my hands. As you can imagine, this often leads to low pull hooks. So I do not plan to make any major swing changes, but I want to make sure my fundamentals are clean, and I have someone watching my weight transfer, balance, and transition. I just want to walk into the Grandaddy with as much of a repeatable swing as I can.
- Orange Whip. Because I have tempo issues, I plan to bust out the orange whip that's been sitting in my closet. I'd like to just get in 20 smooth swings each morning to develop better tempo and warm up the muscles. Coffee and the Orange Whip--sounds like a nice morning routine. Once the weather turns too, I think the Orange Whip will become a more primary part of my preparation.
- Two hours a week of short game practice. I love the short game. To me, its fun and creative. I'd definitely describe myself as a "feel" player around the greens. That said, when I haven't played or practiced in awhile, that "feel" disappears and so to does my short game. To keep things sharp, I want to get out once or twice a week to work on my chipping, pitching, and sand shots. I plan to do this until the weather prohibits it.
- Golf whenever I can. Work restrictions and weather are impediments here, but I was already able to sneak out last Thursday for 18 and yesterday for 9. I want to get in at least 27 holes a week, preferably much more. And I'll golf as long as the courses stay open. I've more than once played in sub-40 degree weather anyways.
- Play new courses. As high as my cap is already, I tend to play the same courses, so it may not necessarily travel well. I played Brown Deer for the first time last week in probably 5 years, shooting a solid, for me, 97. I plan to do the same as much as I can pre-Grandaddy.

This is my pre-Grandaddy plan. I will post updates this week to keep me accountable. If any of you have any further advice on my preparation, please share. Thanks for reading, and I CAN'T WAIT to represent Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy!! LFG!!!!!!!!

I forgot to add regular trips to the PT and chiro for preventative maintenance too! A necessity for a guy with a history of back issues.

Love it, James. Love how everyone has a slightly different way they plan to approach the event.

You have the right attitude and that's the most important. All the other stuff will take care of itself and you are focusing on the right areas.

Golf wise I cannot stress enough to keep it fun and loose. Work on that short game and you'll be just fine in a couple of months.

Good luck with your prep James.

James, the detail is outstanding. You don’t need my help at all. If you follow this plan, it’ll put you in great shape for the grandaddy!! Definitely following along!

Got my yoga and Orange Whip swings in this morning. I have a lesson at 6, and I may try to sneak out of work early to hit the range beforehand. The weather is supposed to get cooler this weekend, dropping down into the 40s. But with the Packers playing on Monday night, I need to take advantage, even if it means watching the Badgers on my phone Saturday. I have 18 booked for Saturday, and 36 booked for Sunday. LFG!

That is awesome James!!! Love the attitude and can't wait for this.

Yeah JMB3! Go get it my man. I am not doing keto myself. But, I am limiting my carb intake. I am interested in hearing more about the intermittent fasting though.

absolutely love it, my man!!!

Great write up. Body and mind clean and ready. Game goes hand in hand with that, and looks like your working hard on that. Keep up the good work. Have a feeling you will be the team to take the W this year

IN! Good luck with all the goals!!

Love it! Keep em comin

I got in a lesson yesterday after work, which was incredibly helpful. I have this weird tendency this year to almost lift the club up once I get it to waist height, which causes me to lean forward a bit and close the club face. To smooth out the back swing, I really worked on having a tension-free right arm. I also got to the point where I felt like I had the club face wide open at the top. Turns out, it was perfectly down the line. So I just need to keep finding that feeling.

I went to the range after my lesson hitting, LW, AW, 8i, and 3W. That was about as clean as I've struck irons all year. I tried to groove that feeling without over doing it. When I got tired, I just starting hitting 3/4 shots with my 60* to the closet green. I'm hoping I can carry those feels over to the course this weekend.

I'm also planning a round with Grandaddy vet, @Iceman! No doubt it will be fun and informative!

This is a good read!! Thanks @JMB3 !!

For those entering my contest, I did an official weigh-in this morning: 213.8. Just over 6 weeks until final weigh-in.

42 degrees but feeling warmer in the sun. Playing the green tees, starting on 10.

20191012_115654.jpg

Double - Bogey start through 2.

Look at the approach on 10 that I thinned into bunker, haha

20191012_120454.jpg

Nice looking!!!

Two more bogeys, both tap ins. Not giving myself a chance at GIR off the tee.

Wow, sun went away and wind picked up. 3 straight holes into a STIFF breeze. Survived with double - double - bogey. Not even mad. Hilarious to watch pured shots get knocked down quickly.

3 holes to play. Made a mess of the par 5s today. Doubled all 4.

3 holes to play. Made a mess of the par 5s today. Doubled all 4.

What do you think caused the issue on the par-5s? Was it trying to go for them in 2? Trouble off the tee? Short game?

Back