The Fitting Room - Callaway Golf Apex Combo Sets

vgolfman

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey THP'ers! I thought you might be interested in hearing more about the four Apex combo sets - Sweet Spot, Mixed, Triple Play, Player. So here is 30 minutes of the soothing sound of me, Dave Neville and Nate Adelman talking irons and fitting...

I know some THPers will be interested in this one.

i already bought my set but i'll still be listening. amazing knowledge bombs dropped when y'all get together and get the info flowing.

Good listen guys. Thanks.

These combo sets this year look like 'da 💣 I need to see the ball speed numbers & all the other fun data cause I could definitely see these in the bag this year. (y)

Spinning this one up right now. Excited to hear more on the Combo sets!

The attention to detail is incredible! Thanks @vgolfman and @DNevsCG !

Did I hear separate tooling specifically for these combo sets to get it to blend into the set? Something I haven't thought about before are all the little adjustments that may be needed to perfectly blend a combo set. This is really cool information! Tinkering with the lofts by 1/2 a degree here and there to really fine tune the combo set. Why wouldn't you look at a combo set after hearing about the R&D that went into setting up these sets!

Love that the cutoff occurs on the 7i in the Sweet Spot. I played a Srixon combo set and the break was at the 6i, and always wish I had a bit more forgiveness in the 7i, and then the scoring irons 8i and up for more consistent shots!

This talk really make me wish I was in the market for a new iron set, either combo or straight through. I have 2 new to me sets that I need to test out first, but this conversation really has me interested in the Apex line. It also has me excited to see what else Callaway has in store for the 2021 Granddaddy Team! The R&D and attention to detail from Callaway are on the leading edge, and I expect great reviews as THPers get these in hand!

finally got a chance to listen to the full episode this morning. great stuff! these are some of the most impressive irons i can ever remember playing.

Some good tidbits here... will be useful if I go with my custom sweet spot (DCB/STD) combo set. Thinking of splitting a 5-A set at the 7/8 irons.

Great listen, really gets me itching to get my Triple Play in. Really appreciate all the attention to detail that went into these sets, and creating the combos.

l
Great listen, really gets me itching to get my Triple Play in. Really appreciate all the attention to detail that went into these sets, and creating the combos.
It is crazy, the attention to detail. 1/2* of loft adjustments here and there, plus a new set of tooling for these combo sets. Really interesting!

going to give this a listen later tonight, if for nothing more than to validate my decision to do buy the triple play! :LOL:

going to give this a listen later tonight, if for nothing more than to validate my decision to do buy the triple play! :LOL:
Have your credit card handy ;)

oh they’ve already been purchased and arrived. Besides, they already have my card on file!
I cant keep track of all the 2021 Grandaddy purchases. You'll enjoy this podcast even more than!

I truly believe combo sets are the way of the future. Matching up you swing correctly for the long irons and then the scoring irons.

Gave it a listen this afternoon and now
In finally understand the tooling differences for the useable shaft diameter

I truly believe combo sets are the way of the future. Matching up you swing correctly for the long irons and then the scoring irons.
I am a huge fan of combo sets personally and saw first hand how they helped my game while playing a Srixon 565/765 set for the past 2 years. The attention to detail that Callaway put in these is incredible, and has me really wanting to try them

The only pause I have is at the end when they discuss that for the majority a straight through set would be a better bet. But I guess this is also why they mention getting fit, so that your irons, combo or not, work best for you.

The triple play really sounds like a great combo set.

This conversation really got me thinking. I think it would be great to test a combo set vs a straight thru set. There are advantages to each, so it would be fun to get fit forone combo set, and one straight thru set.

We test Apex 21 vs Pro vs DCB, why not the Sweet Spot vs DCB, or the Triple Play against any one of the Apex, DCB, or Pro? Some could even venture into the Players Combo.

As we head towards more and more golfers contemplating combo sets, this seems like a valid test. If I had the resources it would be fun to get fit for the 2 sets then battle it out over a year. At the end look at data, scoring, plus what you like feel and/or sound wise.

I don't know how I missed this on my podcast feed today. Will listen to first thing on my morning walk.

Back