The forgotten Golf periodic element: the driver face plate.

blueonblack

...tears on a river
Reaction score
All the talk about high MOI and going to 48" shafts, suddenly.
How much do you think about the technology in the faceplate itself?
This is where the ball meets the head, and a rebound effect takes place. Optimally, in the center or slightly above.
Hit the center, the club does not twist.

COR/CT value is steady for some time.
Give me a 983K many years ago with my former body, and I'll still hit it about the same distance with the newer club, provided center contact occurs.
(Are we seeing the parallels to players/GI/SGI iron discussions here?) I'll never know, as my game improved as the clubs got bigger, but sometimes, I'd go back to the "comfort" of a 365cc head and a 45" or less shaft length.

Smaller heads at least feel a lot faster to swing. That's a flat surface hitting wind resistance.
I suspect we will be going backwards with cc's as part of one of the final distance frontiers.

The faceplate remains. Welded? Cup Face? Do we pay enough attention here; where the proverbial golf ball rubber hits the titanium road?
I don't often see much commentary focused there on forums when speaking of drivers, or even the faceplate tech in fw/hybrids. More talk of it now in irons, almost.

What say you? (y)

You should read some of the articles ;)

If the tech is there, it’s discussed, and discussed at length.

Isn’t the whole thing lately about the face? Twist face/flash face anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should read some of the articles ;)

If the tech is there, it’s discussed, and discussed at length.
Well that's good. ;) I just meant general talk in the forums (this one and others) about drivers; it's not something that I hear people get overly excited about?

It's the launch pad of the club, so do we pay it as MUCH attention as we should?
I was just asking this of myself, and thought I'd ask others. For a while when I was up on stuff, the Cobra faceplates I thought they were doing a really great job with a wider, useable surface area. S9 I think it was at the time, for "9 points." Do manufacturers talk about how many "points" with respect to their faces now? How many is Cobra up to?

Are there sites, (or this one,) that are doing CT testing across multiple points across the entirety of the face/faceplate/cup?
To see how much is usable surface area without off-center degradation? I think I saw stickers on tour heads with up to I want to say 4 CT test result spots now on the stickers. Is that for quadruple testing confirmation on the same spot for tour use, or do they test 4 separate areas of the face?

Sorry, there is a lot of content here and I can't always take it all in. ;) I'm old. I like to talk now. I guess that happens? :ROFLMAO:

Isn’t the whole thing lately about the face? Twist face/flash face anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, OK, I have heard of Twist Face. Is that TM? Oh, and the Callaway. OK. I guess I hear it, but not really focused on. I used to kind of sit back and wait until a new face tech hit for a manufacturer. If they released 3 or 4 with the same face tech, you could feel like they were close in distance.
Oh- "Inverted Cone Technology" on the TM's; I think that spanned generations of their models for a while? Like the Twist Face? Around with the '16 M2 is it that people liked? And the carbon?

Oh yeah- wasn't there a Carbon-Faced Cobra at one time. I swear I had one of those? Very muted?
Will they go to something other than Ti? (ALthough the Ti alloys are pretty exotic now!)

Oh- face tech like an EVNRLL putter with bringing lines/grooves back to the faces?? :p:cool:

Wanna see my massive experimental bulge and roll?? ;)

Let's put holes in the faces again. FASTER!! FASTER!!

Where's a good Ferarri F1 aeronautical consultant when I need one?? :unsure:
Hey Porsche used to make clubs, lets ask them... (y)

Ping has NASA and others on it already. Who else?

Can we move AWAY from Turbulators? It's time... ;)

Smaller head, smaller faces, faster speeds??

Not all drivers sound all that hot? Is distance everything? What about the seven senses? Perhaps taste, excluded?
Can different face materials give us different experiences we may be seeking? What if I want a 460cc persimmon experience?

Are you okay?
It's a faceplate discussion. So far, there are limited participants. You are poster #1. If I had a prize for ya, you'd be da man.
You look like a friendly guy. Nice smile. Thanks for stopping in. How's your faceplate? :geek:

Having super night. I'm full of 6 very large chicken tacos. I shaved and showered. I even put on cologne for you clowns.

Wtf is going on?

Back