The Fowler Effect

the number of kids that start golfing and stick with it is very low. They get into other sports that are cool. Now that more kids are seeing it can be cool to play golf will have an effect on golf down the road. In the next 10 years the average age of a person that golfs regularly will drop significantly.

We have had that problem with kids growing up sailing and not staying with it when they hit the mid-teens. There is quite the gap between the juniors and the adults, say from 13 years old to 35 years old.

That was epic Biggsy. But.... I wear cotton... And talk in a deep southern accent (I really do, it is awful).... And wear Crocs (occaisionally.)...

I hate you biggsy.

That was epic Biggsy. But.... I wear cotton... And talk in a deep southern accent (I really do, it is awful).... And wear Crocs (occaisionally.)...

I hate you biggsy.
Those are my crocs, I have them for the boat and diving. I gotta get you off the cotton man...try the good stuff, it's like crack!

Those are my crocs, I have them for the boat and diving. I gotta get you off the cotton man...try the good stuff, it's like crack!

Yeah, I know. I told my parents that when we buy me clothes for the upcoming school year, I want a few really nice tech fiber shirts. I already wear a really nice vented Columbia hat. I am kinda screwed as far as pants go though.

Any idea how much worse Florida is than Alabama? I know Floridians complain about humidity a lot, but it is pretty bad here.

Yeah, I know. I told my parents that when we buy me clothes for the upcoming school year, I want a few really nice tech fiber shirts. I already wear a really nice vented Columbia hat. I am kinda screwed as far as pants go though.

Any idea how much worse Florida is than Alabama? I know Floridians complain about humidity a lot, but it is pretty bad here.
It doesn't get much worse than here in the Summer, but I don't doubt it's bad up there. I can't tell you how wet I was after wearing that cotton vented shirt for 15 minutes, it was like a dripping soaked wet towel. Why are you screwed with the pants or shorts?

It doesn't get much worse than here in the Summer, but I don't doubt it's bad up there. I can't tell you how wet I was after wearing that cotton vented shirt for 15 minutes, it was like a dripping soaked wet towel. Why are you screwed with the pants or shorts?

Because I have the girth of a silver-back gorilla. 2X Shirts fit me fine, I just have an odd weight distribution that makes me require much bigger pants than you would think. In essence, I am fat.

Because I have the girth of a silver-back gorilla. 2X Shirts fit me fine, I just have an odd weight distribution that makes me require much bigger pants than you would think. In essence, I am fat.
I hear you and they are hard to find. I'll keep an eye out for something. I come across some crazy things. Shoot me your waist size and shirt size in a PM.

So is this a complaint? I mean I can see it being annoying. Just last week I bought myself a puma hat and yesterday I bought my 2nd one for another outfit. I like the guy and the way he plays the game(plus he's just two years older than me so I like the age factor) but would you rather have a fowler effect or a disrespect towards the game effect(kids not showing respect for clubs/the course or not knowing the rules and such)

Or maybe I'm just too high on rickie :D

So is this a complaint? I mean I can see it being annoying. Just last week I bought myself a puma hat and yesterday I bought my 2nd one for another outfit. I like the guy and the way he plays the game(plus he's just two years older than me so I like the age factor) but would you rather have a fowler effect or a disrespect towards the game effect(kids not showing respect for clubs/the course or not knowing the rules and such)

Or maybe I'm just too high on rickie :D

I like him too.

But please, for the love of God, don't wear all orange for your next round. Please?

I see that with kids a lot, they are slow.

One thing I like about Rory is he is quick.

Man, it's really starting to scare me....but it seems like everytime I am reading through a couple of pages of post before I add my own pearls of wisdom to them, I run into a post from biggsy who says exactly what I was gonna say!!

That is the one thing I love about Rory, he plays fast!

I hate the flat brimmed hat and he needs a haircut.....but the kind can flat play and he is bring lots of interest from young people to the game.

Whether we like the style or the guy or not, kids like Fowler and McIlroy are good for the game. Anything to get the younger generation interested.

I've seen this first hand at my home course. Up until a couple of years ago, the junior member numbers were dwindling dramatically. Now they're picking up, there's lots of little white-trousered, big belted, flat-brimmed, ridiculous looking wee people out there. I like it, why not? As long as they're educated on the proper etiquette and behaviour, great.

The problem we have after that is getting them to stick with it past being a junior. The problem is that as they get older and more independent, they discover other things (girls/boys/alcohol/nights out/other sports), and they become responsible for their own finances.
Going from a junior to an adult membership at my course means your fees increase by about 500%.

Fowler has the flare that kids love. He is the Justin Bieber of Golf, tons of talent but hasn't really made his mark.
Marketing him seems to working and if his sponsor are smart they will ride the Fowler train and give up. It's jut going to take one win and he will gain that much needed confidence needed to stay on top. He's starting to blend in the pack on tour and needs to win to remain relevant. But thats not important to the younger generation, Rick makes golf cool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but would you rather have a fowler effect or a disrespect towards the game effect(kids not showing respect for clubs/the course or not knowing the rules and such)

I did not realize it had to be one or the other? So either young kids like to dress in orange, where flat bill hats, or they dont care of the course?

As for the Fowler Effect it is simple.
Marketing.
Puma does a great job of it to the youth.

The amazing thing about Fowler and the marketing is the biggest ad they take out is dressing him on the course.
Then they watch the kids flock to his style. It works, and when they overpaid for his apparel deal, some laughed, but they have recouped that money big time.

But please, for the love of God, don't wear all orange for your next round. Please?

Rickie only wears the all orange on Sundays. I think its a smart move for him to continue building his brand. Tiger was already popular, but the red on sundays made him even more recognizable to the average joe. Now if the average joe sees a dude wearing all orange (he may think its weird, ugly, etc), he may start recognize him as Rickie. I wonder if he did this all all orange on his own or if Puma was behind it too.

Yes, I think its ugly, but appreciate what he (and likely Puma) is trying to do with it.

I was not knocking on Fowler at all. My original post was an observation that he seems to be having a positive effect on Puma's sales. I didn't see as much Puma stuff at the junior events last year.

IMO, any golfer that appeals to young golfers, and puts Tiger out of their minds, is good for the game. I hope Rickie wins soon, and I hope Rory continues to win.

Kevin

I did not realize it had to be one or the other? So either young kids like to dress in orange, where flat bill hats, or they dont of the course?

I don't think that's what the implication was. To me, it's not like Fowler or the kids emulating him are showing a disrespect to the game by the way they're dressing.
He may dress outside the norm, and it may not appeal to people over the age of 18, but he's drumming up interest with kids and that's what the game needs. Most kids hit 7 years old and its the American standard of baseball, football, etc. If we can keep those kids interested in golf, and Bieb's, errr Rickie is thing that keeps them into it, so be it.

Everyone that is complaining on how he dresses brings to mind the numerous discussions people have had on here about who cares what people wear when they are golfing? Rickie is young and is appealing to all the younger golfers with an alternative style. It's the same thing with skaters, motocross, snowboarders and so on. He's bringing flare to the Tour just like Brian Gay or Ian Poulter. Like someone said remember Payne Stewart? Everyone commented on what he wore and you know what he was never considered a fool. John Daly on the other hand needs to fade into the background (he's just a mess).

I love the flat brimmed hats, but I do bend mine a litttle

I now tap while I talk

As a business man, I'm impressed by Fowler and the Fowler effect. I mean, you don't have to win tournaments, or even finish in the top 10 very often to be one of the most popular guys on tour. JB, any idea what his contract looks like with Puma, dollar wise? I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the top 5.

THIS:

Whether we like the style or the guy or not, kids like Fowler and McIlroy are good for the game. Anything to get the younger generation interested.

I've seen this first hand at my home course. Up until a couple of years ago, the junior member numbers were dwindling dramatically. Now they're picking up, there's lots of little white-trousered, big belted, flat-brimmed, ridiculous looking wee people out there. I like it, why not? As long as they're educated on the proper etiquette and behaviour, great.

The problem we have after that is getting them to stick with it past being a junior. The problem is that as they get older and more independent, they discover other things (girls/boys/alcohol/nights out/other sports), and they become responsible for their own finances.
Going from a junior to an adult membership at my course means your fees increase by about 500%.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm all about Rickie's style because it gets older people talking about golf and younger people watching/playing/buying into golf. Why is this bad?

I'm 34 years old and I love the flat bill, hair and all the new style Rickie brings. I would never wear a flat billed hat because I can't pull it off myself, but I've bought a puma belt and a couple shirts now thanks to Rickie (NOT the OSU orange though) and I get a lot of love when I wear it.

Rickie sells, Puma and Golf win. Now Rickie just needs to win...

Rickie only wears the all orange on Sundays. I think its a smart move for him to continue building his brand. Tiger was already popular, but the red on sundays made him even more recognizable to the average joe. Now if the average joe sees a dude wearing all orange (he may think its weird, ugly, etc), he may start recognize him as Rickie. I wonder if he did this all all orange on his own or if Puma was behind it too.

Yes, I think its ugly, but appreciate what he (and likely Puma) is trying to do with it.

I don't know that Tiger red and Fowler orange are comparable though, are they? Tiger wore a red SHIRT on Sunday's.. I always read that red is a power colour.

Fowler on the other hand, wears orange EVERYTHING. If it were just a ****/hat/shoes combo I'd probably agree, but Tiger never took it that far.. I'd probably feel the same way if Tiger walked onto the first tee looking like a bottle of ketchup.

Get a haircut and curl his brim, and I don't know that I have an issue.. Until then, I think he looks goofy and adolescent..

Canadan,

Thats more what I mean. More so his hat. I dont care about the flamboyant dress, heck Poulter and Gay do it and I think they are fine, but the flat bill hat that he tilts to the side and the surfer hair just doesn't work for me, and until he fixes that I wont be able to respect him.

Fowler is to golf, as Beiber is to pop. All the tweens love him.

I agree but the thing I love about it is he is bringing more young people into the game. He is also bringing in a different demographic into it as well. Not you can be cool riding motorcross and playing golf. It's a very interesting time in golf with all the young players.

I don't know that Tiger red and Fowler orange are comparable though, are they? Tiger wore a red SHIRT on Sunday's.. I always read that red is a power colour.

Fowler on the other hand, wears orange EVERYTHING. If it were just a ****/hat/shoes combo I'd probably agree, but Tiger never took it that far.. I'd probably feel the same way if Tiger walked onto the first tee looking like a bottle of ketchup.

Agreed. Tiger dresses very classy. Regardless of his off the course issues he always looked like a golfer. Ricker fowler looks like a stoner who just left the surf shack. Like I said curve the hat and cut the hair and maybe I will gain some respect for him.

I like Rickie, but I hates the Beibs!! :D

Puma has done an excellent job in marketing their brand. On Tuesday I was at Tournament and I wore head to toe Puma. Don't worry, it wasn't orange. It was a mainly white outfit with the White/Blue Monoline hat. I had two separate people on two separate occasions say, "Hey, Rickie Fowler!" So the proof is right there, Rickie gets noticed. Like TM's white drivers, Rickie's Sunday orange, and Tiger's Sunday red, it's all great marketing.

Back