The Fowler Effect

Kids are impressionable. White drivers are cool. Fowler is cool. Titleist is cool. Dressing like a buffoon is cool. I don't get it. I have never been a fan of the flat billed cap either. I bet a lot of those boys and girls were playing with Pro V 1 golf balls too. Pro V1 is very cool.

I respectfully submit that I use none of the above clothing/equipment.

I agree that for the younger generation it is all about being "cool" and looking "cool". But in my generation, winning was even "cooler". Too bad Rickie doesn't worry more about playing to win, than how he dresses. If you play great, everyone will know who you are, no matter what brand of clothes you wear. I would much rather be known for playing great golf than for being a flashy dresser.

Rickie is my favorite player as well. As a younger player, I admit that I wear a lot of puma. I think it looks cool, but it is also one of the most comfortable brands I have ever worn. They market better than anyone and their clothes are easy to pick out. People may hate the all orange, but when someone sees Rickie, they know it is puma. Its the same for people that hate white drivers. It is all marketing, and both of these companies know hot to market.

I agree that for the younger generation it is all about being "cool" and looking "cool". But in my generation, winning was even "cooler". Too bad Rickie doesn't worry more about playing to win, than how he dresses. If you play great, everyone will know who you are, no matter what brand of clothes you wear. I would much rather be known for playing great golf than for being a flashy dresser.

I think he's playing to win. Isn't the goal in a capitalist society to get money? So by selling Puma gear isn't he "winning"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or political which I know is how that first sentence reads so I just want to throw that out there.

I like Rickie, but I hates the Beibs!! :D

Puma has done an excellent job in marketing their brand. On Tuesday I was at Tournament and I wore head to toe Puma. Don't worry, it wasn't orange. It was a mainly white outfit with the White/Blue Monoline hat. I had two separate people on two separate occasions say, "Hey, Rickie Fowler!" So the proof is right there, Rickie gets noticed. Like TM's white drivers, Rickie's Sunday orange, and Tiger's Sunday red, it's all great marketing.

Ok 9-Iron lets not compare Tiger and Rickie just yet. Rickie's orange is nothing like Tiger's Red because when Tiger had the lead with that Red on Sunday he wasn't giving it up. Let Rickie try and prove himself first.

Rickie is my favorite player as well. As a younger player, I admit that I wear a lot of puma. I think it looks cool, but it is also one of the most comfortable brands I have ever worn. They market better than anyone and their clothes are easy to pick out. People may hate the all orange, but when someone sees Rickie, they know it is puma. Its the same for people that hate white drivers. It is all marketing, and both of these companies know hot to market.

I guess Puma knows how to market, but do you think the majority of golfers are going to wear a flat billed puma hat like they are going skateboarding or put on a Nike hat with a victory red logo and a nice dri-fit Nike polo? Lets be serious..

I want a hat with no brim.

I like Fowler. I think he brings a good vibe to the game. I'm even starting to like McIlroy. The young kids are really starting to do some good things.

I think he's playing to win. Isn't the goal in a capitalist society to get money? So by selling Puma gear isn't he "winning"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or political which I know is how that first sentence reads so I just want to throw that out there.

But what is he being paid by Puma? I have no idea. I always thought Arnie got it right when he said these young guys aren't as worried about winning as he was at a young age. They are making a ton of money and don't need to win to survive. Times have changed.

I don't view Rickie as a winner, no. When Rickie is discussed, just like we are doing right now, what is the discussion about? His clothing style, right? I would rather if it were me, to have everyone talking about my golf game if I were in his shoes. I just don't see him winning on tour.

Puma isn't marketing to every golfer as evidence from this thread, but I am sure they are happy with the corner of the market they have as evidence by the OP's observation. I personally don't have a problem with flat billed hats... or flashy outfits on tour... or long hair (JB's probably the only one that will get that) :D

The problem we have after that is getting them to stick with it past being a junior. The problem is that as they get older and more independent, they discover other things (girls/boys/alcohol/nights out/other sports), and they become responsible for their own finances.
Going from a junior to an adult membership at my course means your fees increase by about 500%.
You know what they need to do then? Play at a course that doesn't require memberships, like I did and all of my friends did.

I think there is so much money out on Tour that guys don't need to play to win anymore. Not like the old days. 90th place on the money list last year won a million dollars. How is that incentive to win exactly? Not saying that Fowler is of that mind, but he hasn't won anything yet and he has yet to contend in a major. I hope he does, because he seems like a nice guy, and it would be great for the Tour if he does start winning .

But what is he being paid by Puma? I have no idea. I always thought Arnie got it right when he said these young guys aren't as worried about winning as he was at a young age. They are making a ton of money and don't need to win to survive. Times have changed..
The difference is, back then guys had to try to win as much as they could to make a living at it. Now that isn't the case, with endorsements and "making the cut" they can be pretty comfortable, and comfort tends to kill ambition. As long as his "look" is selling for PUMA they will be happy to throw money at him, but I bet if you asked him he would rather have a stack of trophies more than anything else.

You know what they need to do then? Play at a course that doesn't require memberships, like I did and all of my friends did.

I think there is so much money out on Tour that guys don't need to play to win anymore. Not like the old days. 90th place on the money list last year won a million dollars. How is that incentive to win exactly? Not saying that Fowler is of that mind, but he hasn't won anything yet and he has yet to contend in a major. I hope he does, because he seems like a nice guy, and it would be great for the Tour if he does start winning .

Smallville,

I agree I play at public courses exclusively. Sometimes I have to drive a decent distance and play a somewhat crappy course, but golf is golf when your a 21 year old college student. I agree with the incentive to win and the fact that it has lessened. When you make hundreds of thousands of dollars just for making the cut for most of the year then why do you care? I think some guys are thirsty for the win, but like I said people should think twice before comparing Rickie to Tiger.

Ok 9-Iron lets not compare Tiger and Rickie just yet. Rickie's orange is nothing like Tiger's Red because when Tiger had the lead with that Red on Sunday he wasn't giving it up. Let Rickie try and prove himself first.

I was not comparing them to each other. I was merely saying from a marketing perspective, they both do things that get them noticed. Rickie is a talented golfer, but yes, he's not Tiger back in his prime. But on the marketing side, they are similar.

Over here, those courses are run by the local council, mostly in a sad state and in areas where you'd likely be beaten up and robbed if you wore a Rickie Fowler outfit to play. It's also easier to lose interest in the game if you're not financially tied in. I guess you were more 'into' the game, but I'm talking about trying to grab those youngsters who may still be on the fence about taking up the game seriously.

I was not comparing them to each other. I was merely saying from a marketing perspective, they both do things that get them noticed. Rickie is a talented golfer, but yes, he's not Tiger back in his prime. But on the marketing side, they are similar.

Id venture to say Tiger is a better golfer still.

But what is he being paid by Puma? I have no idea. I always thought Arnie got it right when he said these young guys aren't as worried about winning as he was at a young age. They are making a ton of money and don't need to win to survive. Times have changed.

I don't view Rickie as a winner, no. When Rickie is discussed, just like we are doing right now, what is the discussion about? His clothing style, right? I would rather if it were me, to have everyone talking about my golf game if I were in his shoes. I just don't see him winning on tour.

I'm not sure what Puma paid him for his deal but I think JB stated some thought they overpaid at first. As a capitalist he's winning. If he wins a few golf tournaments, Puma sells more and pays him more and he gets prize money on top of that. I think he's already winning in a monetary sense and while I understand a lot of the sentiment that young players now aren't as motivated to win because they already have money, I think that there are some that should not be lumped into this boat. Dustin Johnson, Nick Watney, Rory McIlroy and Rickie to name a few...

I too hope he wins as he does seem like a nice kid and it would be great for the tour if he does start winning.

I guess Puma knows how to market, but do you think the majority of golfers are going to wear a flat billed puma hat like they are going skateboarding or put on a Nike hat with a victory red logo and a nice dri-fit Nike polo? Lets be serious..
I agree 100%. I'm just saying they know how to market. I don't like the flat brim hats either. As for nike, almost all of my golf clothes are nike and i like nike better than Puma. I just started wearing puma because I think it brings a new style to golf that attracts young golfers like myself.

His style isn't for me, but how is his style disrespectful to the game of golf?

His style isn't for me, but how is his style disrespectful to the game of golf?

How many guys do you see wearing a flat billed hat on the golf course? I can think of 1...

Do you think Jack or Arnie or any of the other legends appreciate seeing something like that? Doubtful.. its just like people wearing baseball hats backwards its a respect thing

How many guys do you see wearing a flat billed hat on the golf course? I can think of 1...

Do you think Jack or Arnie or any of the other legends appreciate seeing something like that? Doubtful.. its just like people wearing baseball hats backwards its a respect thing

Hoffman does, Mahan almost does. Doesn't Anthony Kim sometimes?

I think they look ridiculous, but not to the point of anything wrong. Now if they were BACKWARDS . . .

Hoffman does, Mahan almost does. Doesn't Anthony Kim sometimes?

I think they look ridiculous, but not to the point of anything wrong. Now if they were BACKWARDS . . .

I think this is more curved.. Its not exactly where I like it, but its not bad.
hoffman_300x415.jpg

this is just ugly

Rickie-Fowler-480_1.jpg

I never saw many pictures of them wearing a hat while playing, does that mean that everyone that wears a hat is disrespectful?
Should style on the course be restricted to cardigans and the color yellow when you want to do something outlandish? I just don't equate new styles as disrespectful, everyone has different taste and if no one tried anything new we would live in a pretty boring world.

How many threads can we make that basically boil down to Fowler and younger guys style compared to older guys style? Same arguments every time. If it conforms with the courses dress code than it's fine with me.

I never saw many pictures of them wearing a hat while playing, does that mean that everyone that wears a hat is disrespectful?
Should style on the course be restricted to cardigans and the color yellow when you want to do something outlandish? I just don't equate new styles as disrespectful, everyone has different taste and if no one tried anything new we would live in a pretty boring world.

Baseball has been played for a couple hundred years correct? You ever see anyone walk out on the field and play a game with a backwards hat? Some stuff just doesn't need to change. The dress code for tournaments has stayed very similar, don't see anyone on the course with a tshirt and gym shorts.

I hate doing this, but you gotta find the right photos:

charley_hoffman_2_lg.jpg

Hunter+Mahan+PLAYERS+Championship+Round+One+EZC25sTAbkxl.jpg

I thought AK did too, but I only found one where it was even close.

Again, looks ridiculous to me, but it's still just a cap.

Smallville,

No problems with you showing these. I dont care for the flat bill regardless of who wears it.. My favorite golfers are TW, Boo Weekly, and Mike Weir. Mike because I am a lefty Boo because I think he is one of the funniest and nicest guys on the tour (met him at a tournament), and TW because I think he is a game changer. I dont see these guys with flat bills on, but I feel this discussion is just going in circles. I guess I have my opinions and everyone can have theirs and thats what makes the world go 'round.

He is a much better golfer than me so he can do what he wants I guess. I just think it looks stupid

Back