The Fowler Effect

No, they didn't play against each other in any of their matches.

That's exactly what I want. Rory would win by two holes but I think it would be neat to watch

I know JB hence why I keep saying he isn't comparable. Same goes for rory though. My point is the fact that ever golfer can bring in different people. And sorry but I have to disagree with tiger not bringing in people for his merchandise. As soon as he won the masters. The advertising for him was crazy. I remember the commercial of everyone trying to be like tiger. And at the end was "Nike" they marketed the heck out of tiger.

You clearly missed my point. Tiger brought people in ONCE he won. Then the merchandise flew off the shelves. Nobody was dying to pick up golf to wear Tiger Woods red until he was a winner. Just like in my opinion the same can be said for Rory...Nobody is running to take up golf because of his outfits. His young fans that are already a fan of golf, are really into his stuff. I think that is great. But please show me anything that says Rickie is bringing people to the game. Rounds are down, ratings are down, etc...Is it his fault? Of course not, but he is just not a major draw right now.

And you cannot compare Rory and Rickie. Rory has won a tournament. He has also won a major. In fact the only thing they have in common is their age.

You clearly missed my point. Tiger brought people in ONCE he won. Then the merchandise flew off the shelves. Nobody was dying to pick up golf to wear Tiger Woods red until he was a winner. Just like in my opinion the same can be said for Rory...Nobody is running to take up golf because of his outfits. His young fans that are already a fan of golf, are really into his stuff. I think that is great. But please show me anything that says Rickie is bringing people to the game. Rounds are down, ratings are down, etc...Is it his fault? Of course not, but he is just not a major draw right now.

And you cannot compare Rory and Rickie. Rory has won a tournament. He has also won a major. In fact the only thing they have in common is their age.

To be fair though, Tiger won in his sixth tournament, then again two weeks after that and qualified for the Tour Championship. We didn't have to wait very long from the time he turned pro until he won! Not arguing the point, just saying it didn't take but a blink of an eye for it all to happen.

Understood but it goes back to the OPs point was that this is about clothing. Is it really bad for the game for someone to try to be different. And yes his game isn't 100% yet but he could win a major just like anyone else could.

Understood but it goes back to the OPs point was that this is about clothing. Is it really bad for the game for someone to try to be different. And yes his game isn't 100% yet but he could win a major just like anyone else could.

Are you guys talking about my Overalls AGAIN :beat-up:

Im looking for tickets for Sunday, and only reason I want to go is to watch rickie play in person

I now tap while I talk

Im looking for tickets for Sunday, and only reason I want to go is to watch rickie play in person

I now tap while I talk

That's why I bought us open ticket for Thursday. I knew I would get to see who I wanted to see without any worries

You ought to wear all orange and follow him around. I can almost guarantee you'll get on camera.

Fans imitating their idols is funny to me. Reminds me of this video, about three weeks ago there were these two guys doin their best Luke Donald impressions on the practice green, it was funny too.

So I have puma clothes means I'm immitatimg fowler? Explain

I now tap while I talk

Well if a guy says he only cares about watching Rickie Fowler at a tourney, says he's the reason he is buying the apparel he does, I'd venture to say there is some imitation goin on there. It is the purest form of flattery by the way. I'm just ribbing here so please don't take it as an attack.:D Right now I'm imitating Rory's takeaway or at least I think I am.

So when you wear a red shirt playing on Sunday you aren't imitating "him" :D

So when you wear a red shirt playing on Sunday you aren't imitating "him" :D

Well, much to my chagrin, I do have red shirts 3-1, that is more because I get them as gifts. But seriously I'm way too self conscious to wear red on a sunday if TW is in the lead. If I know I'm playing both days I wear the red on saturday, either way I am influenced by the guy. I do want him back but once he is I'm rooting for PM, and all the other old codgers.

Well if a guy says he only cares about watching Rickie Fowler at a tourney, says he's the reason he is buying the apparel he does, I'd venture to say there is some imitation goin on there. It is the purest form of flattery by the way. I'm just ribbing here so please don't take it as an attack.:D Right now I'm imitating Rory's takeaway or at least I think I am.

Well I like the kid ever since I asked for an autograph on Facebook and he actually replied and told me to send it to the clubhouse of the tourny the following week, he is highly against buying his autograph , and I wear puma cause I like the flashy style and flat brim hats, I'm an advit collector of st. Louis cardinals fitted hats, just my style, and I want to see his unique swing in person, and maybe catch another autograph

I now tap while I talk

Well I like the kid ever since I asked for an autograph on Facebook and he actually replied and told me to send it to the clubhouse of the tourny the following week, he is highly against buying his autograph , and I wear puma cause I like the flashy style and flat brim hats, I'm an advit collector of st. Louis cardinals fitted hats, just my style, and I want to see his unique swing in person, and maybe catch another autograph

I now tap while I talk

I get it, believe me. Like I said I was just ribbing. It's like going to a Grateful Dead show, it's best to dress the part if you want to be a part, of that scene.

I get it, believe me. Like I said I was just ribbing. It's like going to a Grateful Dead show, it's best to dress the part if you want to be a part, of that scene.

It's all good, just explaining my like for the kid

I now tap while I talk

In all honesty, I'd be stoked if RF got the lead Sat. carried it Sun. and walked up 18 with about a thousand people in orange on both sides to win. And I personally think he played the best of the US guys at the Ryder. It's just time for him to win whatever it takes.

I've seen the RF Effect in person the past few days....it's cute on the kids.....Not so much when you see it on the adults...
You would not believe the number of Puma hats, shoes, and shirts the junior boys were wearing. Wow, Fowler must be bringing them in in droves.

Kevin

I actually don't know what flat billed caps and long hair have to do with respect for the game.There are older guys with longish hair on tour. I don't think any of them have less respect for the game.

I have not seen Rickie dis a course official yet and while the camera or mic may not have caught it I have not seen nor heard him anything but respectful of his surroundings. There was that one incident of him flipping his cap backwards on the practice green at a tourney but frankly, I don't think he was trying to disrespect the course or its rules. Any of them are more likely to have a lapse when they are just around especially if they are of a mind to not take themselves too seriously, a refreshing change by the way. Golf is going to "traditionalist" itself right into obscurity or at least irrelevance at this rate and while the course rules are the course rules all of the private courses would do well to lighten up a bit.

The kid is clean and polite everywhere I see him and became the real deal to me when he came back at Ryder Cup late in his singles match. There is something of substance there when someone can suck it up like that for his country and his teammates when the pressure and the klieg lights are on. He has not won yet and has a long way to go in my estimation to be considered even a very good pro. But I do think he has what it takes to win and I think he will win. As for backwards caps or flat bills to be honest the whole objection to things like backwards caps or flat bills sounds too much to me like "flat billed caps today.....crack addict tomorrow".

I don't really think RF is moving the needle from the perspective of bringing people to the game at least not to any degree that matters. That said I am sure that he provides encouragement to young guys that are already involved in the game. We need the younger set to feel like we want them on the course with us and in fact like having them there. Golf et al' and its tolerance for Rickie's flamboyant dress is a good thing as it helps mitigate the idea that we all just a bunch of stodgy old curmudgeons that would not allow anybody under the age of 35 on the course if we had our way. If you look at most of the guys on the USGA executive board, they will be pushing up daisies long before me and I am no spring chicken. Actually there is a massive youth movement going on over there. There are some 50 year olds in there now I guess.

I am sure RF is having an impact on Puma's clothing line especially with the younger guys that can pull that sort of look off.

Yes, the younger guys have also taken to the white club heads more. Played with one of the assistants the other night. He has one. Saw him crack a drive at least 300 on one of the Par 5's with it. Obviously his age and talent had much more to do with that than the color of the club head.

The whole white club head thing is another example of our (older guys) blind spot to the fact that marketing is not aimed at us! We are not the center of the marketing universe, even the golf marketing universe. The sweet spot is way south of 35 years old for product marketing generally and while it makes sense to ratchet it up a few years when considering golf marketing, the big golf marketing machines don't much give a darn what somebody my age thinks or wants to buy. I will be pushing up daisies before they can get the full benefit out of marketing to me. We are undervaluing the marketing effort that is aimed at the younger crowd and we are not appreciating the effect it is having enough. Those are the guys that are for the most part driving the white club head numbers as they are buying them at a white hot pace.

Hopefully folks will recognize that I make some of my comments with tongue firmly lodged in cheek. Since I am 58 I think I can poke fun at myself a little bit.

There were a lot of kids wearing the flat billed hats at the Memorial Tournament. Rickie probably had the biggest gallery on Sunday other than the leaders, so I think he probably has brought some new fans to golf. I definitely noticed a larger group of women following him than any other golfer, lol. Most of his fans are kids and girls, but I don't know how much he'll be able to get away with dressing like that as he gets older.

Same here, Orange is out in full force, so is the monoline cap.
There were a lot of kids wearing the flat billed hats at the Memorial Tournament. Rickie probably had the biggest gallery on Sunday other than the leaders, so I think he probably has brought some new fans to golf. I definitely noticed a larger group of women following him than any other golfer, lol. Most of his fans are kids and girls, but I don't know how much he'll be able to get away with dressing like that as he gets older.

Some of Fowler's get up can be ridiculous at times, but he does wear some sharp looking clothes. The kid is good so you can't hate him for that and he does bring a lot of positive attention to the game as far as younger players go.

I was not implying he was changing the game by increasing ratings or inspiring young people to take it up. But these skinny little junior golfers with great swings that hit the ball farther than Hawk are eating this new style up. There were even a couple girls with the hats at the 350+ participant junior event last week. Hell, my daughter in general hates the styles of women's golf shoes, and wants some men's Pumas. Not the all orange or anything, but the white with the silvery black with the big cat outline. And they look good on her. There were a couple ladies at Golfsmith trying on shoes when she tried them. Both said they looked great on her.

I don't know any numbers, just going but what my eyes are telling me, and this kid has to increasing Puma's bottom line. It would be nice for the game, and better for them, I suppose, if he was bringing in new kids, but taking a lot of clothing money young golfers are spending away from Nike must have them tickled pink. Lots of kids wearing Adidas stuff, too, and lots of eggs in the bags at that event. Like I said earlier, though, lots of Titleist clubs in the bags of these kids. I also see a lot of the girls gaming various versions of Burner irons. The Gulbis golf shoe is HUGELY popular with the girls. I bet half the field had them on. Maybe that's why the Creamer was discontinued.

I kind of got rambling there, but I think it's really interesting to see what the juniors have on their backs, heads, and feet, and in their bags. There's a lot of dollars worth of equipment and clothing on the ranges, putting greens, and golf courses of where these big tournaments are held. PUMA is definitely getting their share. As are Titleist and TMaG. I don't see much Callaway, Adams, or Cleveland stuff.

Kevin

Hey did someone tell Ricky he was a thread on THP? This guy is lighting it up as if Our man on the scene showed him the thread. Wouldn't it be ironic if he won this week?

but taking a lot of clothing money young golfers are spending away from Nike must have them tickled pink. Lots of kids wearing Adidas stuff, too, and lots of eggs in the bags at that event. Kevin

But most of those kids are not really "brand" loyal. They buy Puma today and nike tomorrow along with Adidas the next. Or mix them all together on other days.

Back