The Fowler Effect

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Reading 9iron dude's TM/Titleist thread about marketing reminded me I wanted to post about the Fowler Effect. The last two days I attended the biggest junior event of the Summer here in Cheeseland. The WI State PGA Junior Championship.

You would not believe the number of Puma hats, shoes, and shirts the junior boys were wearing. Wow, Fowler must be bringing them in in droves.

Lots of white drivers too, but probably as many Titleist 910s. Those two seemed to be dominant. Lots of girls playing the 910 which kind surprised me.

Kevin

Kids are impressionable. White drivers are cool. Fowler is cool. Titleist is cool. Dressing like a buffoon is cool. I don't get it. I have never been a fan of the flat billed cap either. I bet a lot of those boys and girls were playing with Pro V 1 golf balls too. Pro V1 is very cool.

I respectfully submit that I use none of the above clothing/equipment.

Fowler is to golf, as Beiber is to pop. All the tweens love him.

Kids are impressionable. White drivers are cool. Fowler is cool. Titleist is cool. Dressing like a buffoon is cool. I don't get it. I have never been a fan of the flat billed cap either. I bet a lot of those boys and girls were playing with Pro V 1 golf balls too. Pro V1 is very cool.

I respectfully submit that I use none of the above clothing/equipment.

Well, these kids can handle the clubs and ProV1s. Some of them are really good. Like 300 plus off the tee and easily under par good. My daughter played with a girl the first day gaming a 910 and AP1s with steel shafts. She could hit the driver 230 plus most every time, and hit the irons beautifully.

Most of the time. Even though she was 40-50 yards in front of my daughter, Gracie had a total five strokes lower. She was so slow, though, someone needs to talk to her.

Kevin

Oh yeah, no doubt they can handle them. There are some freakishly talented kid golfers out there (I am not one of them) much like your daughter. Merely making observations. Kids like Titleist. I wanted a Scotty putter from the minute I started playing up until they did that crap with the Casanova.

Well, these kids can handle the clubs and ProV1s. Some of them are really good. Like 300 plus off the tee and easily under par good. My daughter played with a girl the first day gaming a 910 and AP1s with steel shafts. She could hit the driver 230 plus most every time, and hit the irons beautifully.

Most of the time. Even though she was 40-50 yards in front of my daughter, Gracie had a total five strokes lower. She was so slow, though, someone needs to talk to her.

Kevin

I think being that Fowler is very clearly young, the younger kids playing golf get into it.. Not to mention Puma is a fresh look at the sport and the bright colours are easily recognizable..

I for cannot stand those flat billed hats. I think they look ridiculous,

I hate the flat-brimmed cap too, but I've always been a PUMA fan. Good for them.
Good for the game too. Anything to get more young people interested.

I hate the flat-brimmed cap too, but I've always been a PUMA fan. Good for them.
Good for the game too. Anything to get more young people interested.

This. I may not like the current trends (don't hate them, just not my style) but getting kids into the game is imperative.

I mean, this is a forum, for crying out loud. Forums are the roaming grounds of kids. There are, by my count, approximately 5 active members under the age of 18. On a forum with nearly 7000 members. That ain't good.

the number of kids that start golfing and stick with it is very low. They get into other sports that are cool. Now that more kids are seeing it can be cool to play golf will have an effect on golf down the road. In the next 10 years the average age of a person that golfs regularly will drop significantly.

I hate rickie fowlers outfits and hats and think he doesn't correctly represent golf

Tap tap taparoo

This. I may not like the current trends (don't hate them, just not my style) but getting kids into the game is imperative.

I mean, this is a forum, for crying out loud. Forums are the roaming grounds of kids. There are, by my count, approximately 5 active members under the age of 18. On a forum with nearly 7000 members. That ain't good.

6! I'm back and glad to be. Work and the College World Series occupied a bunch of my time.

6! I'm back and glad to be. Work and the College World Series occupied a bunch of my time.

What is sad is, I actually counted you.

I hate rickie fowlers outfits and hats and think he doesn't correctly represent golf

Get a haircut and curl his brim, and I don't know that I have an issue.. Until then, I think he looks goofy and adolescent..

And to add to the current thread, I didn't fall under the Fowler effect, but I have fallen under the Rory effect. I've already got a pair of oakleys and my Titleist hat, now I just need to buy some oakley shirts.

Just think of the effect he'll have if he starts winning and getting top 10s in majors.

Look at him over there, thinking about winning. hehehe

Tap tap taparoo

Why?

Golf has a history of outlandish dress. Look at Payne Stewart. He looked like a nutter, but he is considered to be a paradigm for all golfers, an icon, someone to be respected.

I think the hats look ridiculous, but Fowler seems okay to me. I'm not a fan of the backwards hat, but that doesn't mean he's a bad kid.

Kevin

I think the hats look ridiculous, but Fowler seems okay to me. I'm not a fan of the backwards hat, but that doesn't mean he's a bad kid.

Kevin

Exactly. Like I said, he doesn't know how to dress, but I think he is great for the game.

I see that with kids a lot, they are slow.

One thing I like about Rory is he is quick.

Holy $#!7 is that you in the avatar, biggsy?

I don't mind the loud outfits. You won't catch me wearing them but whatever floats his boat. However the horrible hats have to go. I also ride mx, and its bad enough seeing all the "bros" wearing them at the track. I don't want to see them at the golf course too.

Back