The Garage Thread

What's wrong with this? It's organized
1588642368356.jpeg

Just your typical 2 car garage here, with a SUV & Truck inside.

I've spent a lot of time over the past 3 weeks cleaning, installing new countertops and getting my attached garage back into shape after years of neglect. 20210331_113645.jpg20210325_184210.jpg
My back garage (40'x42') is getting closer to its former glory. I've got 2x2 car storage and a single storage in the back along with a 17'x40' wood shop. It's been neglected in that I haven't done much with it and have mostly been storing junk. I want to eventually epoxy the floor in it. My goal is to make my back garage my hobby shop/ oil change location etc. 20210405_220712.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the progress @Qwkz51

I just moved into a new house today. It’s got a 4 car, tandem garage (3 cars wide and one slot is 2 cars deep) it’s basically a clean slate. My wife and and I each have a car, plus I have a bass boat which still leaves room for all the stuff you need to maintain a home. Plenty of high ceilings so I can set up my net in the garage during the winter. There’s also an extra garage door that opens onto the back yard.

7179DD4C-5EF7-4EDB-B6DC-42102AFE8F27.jpeg

I have a detached garage that fits 2 cars, Tractor with front end loader, and some other crap... (its a tight fit). However... no matter how often I clean it, the thing is a mess before 2 months goes by... nobody puts anything where it belongs... and I include myself in that statement.

Sometimes, i’d like to just burn it to the ground... but I’d just have to clean that mess up as well...

I just moved into a new house today. It’s got a 4 car, tandem garage (3 cars wide and one slot is 2 cars deep) it’s basically a clean slate. My wife and and I each have a car, plus I have a bass boat which still leaves room for all the stuff you need to maintain a home. Plenty of high ceilings so I can set up my net in the garage during the winter. There’s also an extra garage door that opens onto the back yard.

View attachment 9002105
Man...I have plenty of garage space but I am jealous of that ceiling height. If I had more clearance I would at min have a lift and secondary not have to hit wiffles in the sun room.

My missus continues to insist the garage is for storage, and I’ve lost the will to fight with her. Garage contains a load of bikes of different sorts, I’m now consigned to one little corner of my garage ☹
214F4908-0062-4B75-9F8A-F8E6B4B4318F.jpeg
19AC258F-520C-48B3-8095-6BBBCB865AD5.jpeg

I am going to do one wall but instead of pegboard, I am going to do the slatwall. It is a lot stronger and I like the looks better.
Slat walls are absolutely better. Sadly in my space, the pegboard is already here and up and there is a ton of it. Might as well work with what I can. I’m going to be adding some detailing product shelves right to it as well

Current garage setup. 3 car garage - Took third stall and made it into our sim location so my truck is an outside truck now. Most storage is lofted and woodworking items are hidden behind the sim.
4B86ACFB-323A-4CEE-88E2-1F50CDF24C70.jpeg

It was shown in the renovation thread, but here is the garage floor that we went with. Had Epoxy coating done. As you can see from the bottom one, it almost looks glass like and came out really well. The dark blue and light blue pops well.

8AEA72ED-14A6-40BC-A94F-6434AA90CF29.jpg

79EC6C60-DDE5-41C9-9070-29020D52B0F0.jpg

AA99D5BF-E207-4DB9-B198-5ABB9DA77F30.jpg

The key to a good garage is knowing that your car will fit.........before you buy the house. Trust me on this.
We bought a house where the 2 cars barely fit. Then I got a truck and ended up having to park in the driveway. Then we bought another house LOL!

Looks great! that's the next step in my "office"

I'm getting quotes right now on having my garage floor coated. The two I've contractors I've talked to are recommending an epoxy primer/base coat and a polyaspartic topcoat. They are both telling me about $3,000 for a three-car 680 sq.ft. garage which works out to $4.41 per square foot. Does anyone want to share how much they paid to have their garage floor coated? The floor was new last October so it should make the prep work a bit easier but I don't want to do it myself.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 10.28.18 AM.png

I'm getting quotes right now on having my garage floor coated. The two I've contractors I've talked to are recommending an epoxy primer/base coat and a polyaspartic topcoat. They are both telling me about $3,000 for a three-car 680 sq.ft. garage which works out to $4.41 per square foot. Does anyone want to share how much they paid to have their garage floor coated? The floor was new last October so it should make the prep work a bit easier but I don't want to do it myself.

View attachment 9002140

We have a 3 car oversized (3.5) and you can see the images above. We paid more than that by nearly $1 per sq foot. With that said, we have primer, epoxy and then topcoat.

We have a 3 car oversized (3.5) and you can see the images above. We paid more than that by nearly $1 per sq foot. With that said, we have primer, epoxy and then topcoat.

Thanks, yours looks great and I'll likely go with the same color with the blue chips. I'm going for quality and not the lowest price but wanted to know a ballpark figure for what others are paying. I have a guy coming out today and another two quotes on Monday. Two of these do primer, epoxy, top coat and the other one uses all polyapartic(no epoxy) in one or two coats and then a clear topcoat. I'm going to do a bit of research to see which one holds up best to all the salt/deicing chemicals that are used here in Minnesota. We are selling the house and moving in two years but I still want it done correctly.

Thanks, yours looks great and I'll likely go with the same color with the blue chips. I'm going for quality and not the lowest price but wanted to know a ballpark figure for what others are paying. I have a guy coming out today and another two quotes on Monday. Two of these do primer, epoxy, top coat and the other one uses all polyapartic(no epoxy) in one or two coats and then a clear topcoat. I'm going to do a bit of research to see which one holds up best to all the salt/deicing chemicals that are used here in Minnesota. We are selling the house and moving in two years but I still want it done correctly.
Polypartic is considered more durable. Price we got was the same. Reason I went epoxy was it’s considered slightly softer and I preferred the texture.

What a very timely thread!

Just started a reno on my garage. Have a 3 car that currently has the third bay separated by a wall. House was the former model home for the sub so they used the garage as the office. It's heated/cooled with the HVAC from the house so I have that going for me.

Current plans are to tear down that wall separating, remove all home-made storage shelves, prime and paint the walls light gray. I have ordered an 11-piece NewAge garage cabinet set from Costco that'll store everything that was previously on the shelves. Then, going to do the floor coating after all painting is done. Going to do it myself with a buddy who gets the materials at cost and should only take a day (hopefully) to get it finished. Figuring this is going to be a 3-4 weekend project all said and done.

I'll update with pictures along the way. I'm hoping that it turns out the way that I have envisioned.

What a very timely thread!

Just started a reno on my garage. Have a 3 car that currently has the third bay separated by a wall. House was the former model home for the sub so they used the garage as the office. It's heated/cooled with the HVAC from the house so I have that going for me.

Current plans are to tear down that wall separating, remove all home-made storage shelves, prime and paint the walls light gray. I have ordered an 11-piece NewAge garage cabinet set from Costco that'll store everything that was previously on the shelves. Then, going to do the floor coating after all painting is done. Going to do it myself with a buddy who gets the materials at cost and should only take a day (hopefully) to get it finished. Figuring this is going to be a 3-4 weekend project all said and done.

I'll update with pictures along the way. I'm hoping that it turns out the way that I have envisioned.
If you are using epoxy and clear coat, keep in mind it would be near impossible to do in a day because it can take hours to set

my 1940's de-attached kit garage on my 1891 house is still holding together. No cars go in it but could fairly easily. Its narrow and small but mostly clean. it also serves as our pool cabana as it is adjacent to the pool with fridge, sound system for pool, outdoor dinnerware. Lots of shelving couple of bikes and very importantly a slide net to hit golf balls into, but i need to swing in driveway as garage ceiling is too low

This thread reminded me that I have to organize my garage (again). Here are some older pictures of when I built out my storage wall in case someone wants some ideas. The drywall was in rough shape so I came up with what I think was a clever solution using cheap furring strips. I love how it came out.

C8078CCE-42F6-4D93-83CF-89E1AE6712B1.jpeg8D23F887-3EF9-4350-ACAA-265E88372AD4.jpegAC3A7D68-F53B-4A3A-8BC4-F05AF1C28303.jpeg

Back