The Garmin app and handicaps

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
I am too lazy to look it up, but does the Garmin Express? app calculate handicap? I used to have a Garmin S-2, but could never get the app to work on my computer. Obviously, the easiest thing would be to have an official handicap and allow USGCA maintain it. Since I no longer enter tournaments or really compete, I don't bother. I am trying to break 80 again, but the chances are pretty unlikely given my age. I feel good just breaking 90 once in awhile. Last outings were in 89-93 range. I should have my new Garmin S-10 tomorrow.

Yah, well..Okay. I got the thing, seems to have about what I need. Only problem was it was set up in some unknown language and I had to download the owners' manual to figure out how to get it to display English. I will only be using it to show distances and maybe as a regular watch.

The Garmin Golf mobile app does calculate a handicap, but it currently thinks my Index is about 1.5 strokes lower than what GHIN says it is. It's under More -> Performance Stats in the app.

Garmin Express (the app for the computer) is a pretty rudimentary app basically just for device software/firmware updates.

Last edited:
Garmin app on my phone does, but it is a bit ambitious, usually 1 to 2 better than my actual handicap

Which Garmin app for the phone works best with the S20? I downloaded the garmin golf app.

Which Garmin app for the phone works best with the S20? I downloaded the garmin golf app.
You'll want the Connect app to sync your watch. The garmin golf app will have the golf features. I am not aware of any other golf app for the garmins.

I have both Garmin Connect Mobile and Garmin Golf. Connect handles all the watch setup, daily activity tracking stuff, etc., Golf handles the....well, the golf. The rounds are automatically uploaded from the watch to your phone, and you can view/edit the data in Garmin Golf.

I have both Garmin Connect Mobile and Garmin Golf. Connect handles all the watch setup, daily activity tracking stuff, etc., Golf handles the....well, the golf. The rounds are automatically uploaded from the watch to your phone, and you can view/edit the data in Garmin Golf.
GG is something I may want to look into as long as I don't have to fiddle with anything while playing. I don't even use the features of my watch other than distances to green when I can just glance at the display.

You'll want the Connect app to sync your watch. The garmin golf app will have the golf features. I am not aware of any other golf app for the garmins.
The golf app looks pretty good. I’ll download the connect as well. My watch is supposed to be here by Saturday. I’m really interested in the tracking features to help show what I need to work on.

Do you do much with the data? I’m hoping to learn more about my game and maybe even pick up on patterns I might be missing.

GG is something I may want to look into as long as I don't have to fiddle with anything while playing. I don't even use the features of my watch other than distances to green when I can just glance at the display.
You don't have to fiddle with anything while playing, but it doesn't automatically determine which club you're playing like Arccos, Game Golf, Cobra Connect, etc. If you want club data, you have to go into the app after the round and add the club info. Same for putts (it calculates GIR based upon your score/number of putts). The watch gives you yardages, and you can choose to keep score on your watch or not (I always do).

Do you do much with the data? I’m hoping to learn more about my game and maybe even pick up on patterns I might be missing.
Basically I just go back in after the round (as above) and enter which clubs I used, and then look at the "Club Performance" page to see what my average distances are for each club. I just recently figured out how to add puts and FIR - it's on a different screen than adding the club info. The "Performance Stats" page gives your handicap (as calculated by Garmin, stats about your best/average score, some Strokes Gained stats, and your rankings among Garmin Golf users. Some useful analytical info, if you take the time to enter your stats on the scorecards after each round.

One of my biggest gripes with Garmin is that it's hard to find good documentation on how to use all the features. I probably use a small fraction of the capabilities, simply because I've never bothered to play around with some of the stuff to learn how to use it. My watch isn't a golf-specific model (Forerunner 935), but it has a lot of the golf features built into it.

You don't have to fiddle with anything while playing, but it doesn't automatically determine which club you're playing like Arccos, Game Golf, Cobra Connect, etc. If you want club data, you have to go into the app after the round and add the club info. Same for putts (it calculates GIR based upon your score/number of putts). The watch gives you yardages, and you can choose to keep score on your watch or not (I always do).

Basically I just go back in after the round (as above) and enter which clubs I used, and then look at the "Club Performance" page to see what my average distances are for each club. I just recently figured out how to add puts and FIR - it's on a different screen than adding the club info. The "Performance Stats" page gives your handicap (as calculated by Garmin, stats about your best/average score, some Strokes Gained stats, and your rankings among Garmin Golf users. Some useful analytical info, if you take the time to enter your stats on the scorecards after each round.

One of my biggest gripes with Garmin is that it's hard to find good documentation on how to use all the features. I probably use a small fraction of the capabilities, simply because I've never bothered to play around with some of the stuff to learn how to use it. My watch isn't a golf-specific model (Forerunner 935), but it has a lot of the golf features built into it.
The nice thing with the more recent golf watches is their ability to auto detect shots. You can tell the watch what club you used after the shot is hit. They also have Arcos like sensors you can add to your clubs that will do that for you. They are in sale right now and I am thinking of springing for them.

It has been useful for getting average distances with my clubs. It has also shown that my dispersion is pretty much equally left and right, which has justified for me my strategy off the tees.

It has been useful for getting average distances with my clubs. It has also shown that my dispersion is pretty much equally left and right, which has justified for me my strategy off the tees.
That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

I found quite a few you tube videos on the S20 which is what I got. It was one of my concerns as I’m not a big instruction manual reader. So visual is always easier for me. I was using a phone app but it kills the battery before the end of the round. Not to mention the shot tracking is a multi step process and I prefer to play golf over playing with my phone. ;)

I found quite a few you tube videos on the S20 which is what I got. It was one of my concerns as I’m not a big instruction manual reader. So visual is always easier for me. I was using a phone app but it kills the battery before the end of the round. Not to mention the shot tracking is a multi step process and I prefer to play golf over playing with my phone. ;)
I also have the S20 and I think you will really like it. It is so nice not using your phone for gps on course.

I also have the S20 and I think you will really like it. It is so nice not using your phone for gps on course.
Good to know. I would have liked to get the S60 but couldn’t justify the added cost when the S20 does what I am looking for.

That's exactly what I love about the Garmin over any of the other devices which use/require the phone. I don't carry my phone in my pocket while golfing, and don't like fiddling around with it in between shots. With the Garmin everything is right there on my wrist, accessible for a quick glance for yardages, and it only takes a couple button presses as I'm walking off the green to enter my score. I jot down my club choices, FIR, GIR and putts on my scorecard, and I can sit down after the round and enter them at my leisure if I want the data in there.

I'm not sure about the golf-specific models, but on my 935 a round of golf only uses about 20-25% of the battery life.

I usually power off my S62 at night, but it lasts me 4-5 rounds between charges.
The garmin app does a really good job for what I need. Tracking my score, tracking Fairways and GIR, and being able to see historicals by hole, and averages of my clubs.

Back