The generic help.me choose thread

pumbaa

Need more golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So all of my gear is from 2012 to 2014 except my wedges and putter.

Current gear
Driver - bio cell. I've had some good shots with it but just want something newer and forgiving.

Irons - tour edge xcg6 exotics. They do well but I've never felt comfortable with them. The offset and thickness I just can't get comfortable with them.

What I'm looking forr

Irons - newer 2019 to current that are less offset, cleaner looking but still forgiving. Budget is open but I'd hope to be under 500 used or less.

Driver - the same as irons something with newer tech from 2019 or so newer and around 250 used.

3 wood - same as driver but budget would be a little lower.

Basically for under 1,000 I'm trying to replace my gear with something with newer tech and still forgiving.

This isn't going to be a right now right away thing as I just need to go hit balls and get a swing back but just looking for suggestions and ideas of what fits into those criteria because so much changes so quick and I haven't researched anything in 18 plus months that I'm overwhelmed trying to research and catch up.

Browse Callaway pre-owned... if it says "like new" its new.... I"ll look and see if I see anything

Browse Callaway pre-owned... if it says "like new" its new.... I"ll look and see if I see anything
I saw they had 25 percent off and had a bunch of the maverick line in there. Which is their more forgiving line is it the max?

I know before I stopped playing I was looking at the taylormade m6 stuff. How does that stand up?

I saw they had 25 percent off and had a bunch of the maverick line in there. Which is their more forgiving line is it the max?

I know before I stopped playing I was looking at the taylormade m6 stuff. How does that stand up?
You cannot beat Callaway Pre Owned. Don't get me wrong I have gamed TM in the last 4 years, but for an amazing "Budget" set, you will be hard pressed to beat Them. Ask @Bowtiepower00

You cannot beat Callaway Pre Owned. Don't get me wrong I have gamed TM in the last 4 years, but for an amazing "Budget" set, you will be hard pressed to beat Them. Ask @Bowtiepower00
What lines of their clubs would I be looking at for their game improvement lines? Apex or maverick or epic or bertha? I really have no idea about where their lines fall in ability.

Not finding much that fits the description right now. Use inventory is rather low

Stay away from Apex. But agree with Hedley, since pandemic CPO inventory has been crazy low. If you can find a nice set of rogues I would go that way.

Stay away from Apex. But agree with Hedley, since pandemic CPO inventory has been crazy low. If you can find a nice set of rogues I would go that way.

why stay away from apex?

Driver- Mavrik Max could be had for $250
3W- Mavrik 3W
Irons- Rogue Pro

Not sure why you would stay away front the Apex family. I have Apex 19s and they are great irons.

Not sure why you would stay away front the Apex family. I have Apex 19s and they are great irons.
Again he is looking for irons under 500 dollars.

Driver- Mavrik Max could be had for $250
3W- Mavrik 3W
Irons- Rogue Pro
So callaway is the way to go it seems. I was expecting ping, ben hogan, and a million other answers but callaway is running away with it.

So callaway is the way to go it seems. I was expecting ping, ben hogan, and a million other answers but callaway is running away with it.
I think so, I think you could get a really good set up from Callaway with room to spare on that $1000 budget.

Also you could go with a set of Srixon 585 irons too...

Also you could go with a set of Srixon 585 irons too...
I've always like cleveland/srixon. I used cleveland's for a long time.

You could even update your wedges with Cleveland RTX-4s and stay under the number (maybe)...

I've always like cleveland/srixon. I used cleveland's for a long time.
Ok you could do this:
Srixon Z785 Driver
Srixon F85 3W
Srixon 585 irons
Cleveland RTX-4 wedges

They're older than 2019, but:

• The Ping G400 Max driver is still one of the best fairway finders out there of any vintage
  • The TaylorMade M4 irons were kind of under the radar in their day, but they are excellent irons. Forgiving with feedback. I was fortunate enough to be one of THP's long-term testers.

They're older than 2019, but:

• The Ping G400 Max driver is still one of the best fairway finders out there of any vintage
  • The TaylorMade M4 irons were kind of under the radar in their day, but they are excellent irons. Forgiving with feedback. I was fortunate enough to be one of THP's long-term testers.
The problem is that Ping G400 Driver still goes for close to $300 after market on eBay... Very popular driver. Probably the best driver Ping ever made.

Ok you could do this:
Srixon Z785 Driver
Srixon F85 3W
Srixon 585 irons
Cleveland RTX-4 wedges
Srixon gear isn't the easiest to find. I found some locally that were a 785/585 combo set but the pw and 4 iron were broken so I'm guessing those have been thrown 1 too many times.

You have to purchase separately to get the discount on all three items.
CB06E988-0ECE-40CA-B550-31128140DA21.pngD71E6B19-A5E9-490A-B5F4-67C9DAFF8E03.png5B377376-314D-4C8D-AABC-445B7C9F9BD6.png

Back