The GHIN Soft Cap

I brought my GHIN number back after about eight years away from it, kids and what not kept me from playing enough to warrant carrying one. I was a +.2 when I let it go then started it again. I should have created a new one as I am closer to an 8 currently by score, but only a 4 or so because of the soft cap.

Maybe I'll just start doubling my scores to par until I lose my soft cap.
I know your conscience won't let you do it and neither will mine. But I'm not so sure about a few million other GHIN subscribers out there...

P.S. One reason behind some of the inanity of the USGA handicap rules is because the systems origins date back to when a "USGA Handicap" was something only members of private clubs were able to have. I'm pretty sure half a century ago everyone who had a handicap was a member of a club with a bona fide Handicap Committee with the discretion to modify handicaps in accordance with the golfer's personal circumstances. It was an old boys network and the "committee" personally knew everyone who was issued a handicap by their club.

That's still true in theory. I think there's a de facto "committee" (i.e. it's one guy) at my club who could go in and undo a soft cap or whatever if the situation justified it. But for 90% of the people with current USGA handicaps there's no such thing. They are stuck with what the computer assigns.

You're talking about how differential and slope/rating is created, I guess. A handicap is a handicap.

That in mind, to your additional commentary, you are already 100% limited on strokes while on the golf course. Net double bogey and no more if posting hole by hole. Anything factored into the final score that isn't a reflection of that is cheating.

Maybe I'll just start doubling my scores to par until I lose my soft cap.

This is correct. The handicap is a flat solution and remains that way until they bring the Soft Cap into the equation. The "pages and pages" being discussed in the rules are not about the actual handicap, but rather differential and course ratings.

This is correct. The handicap is a flat solution and remains that way until they bring the Soft Cap into the equation. The "pages and pages" being discussed in the rules are not about the actual handicap, but rather differential and course ratings.
And soft caps. And hard caps. And procedures for appealing same. And various other addenda.

All of which end up affecting the handicap you look up when you punch your name into GHIN. Therefore it is all part of the handicap. We might not like it, but we don't get to pick and choose which parts of the handicap we use and which we don't.

If an average of 8 of 20 differentials were the entire story this thread would not exist, would it?

And soft caps. And hard caps. And procedures for appealing same. And various other addenda.

All of which end up affecting the handicap you look up when you punch your name into GHIN. Therefore it is all part of the handicap. We might not like it, but we don't get to pick and choose which parts of the handicap we use and which we don't.

None of that changes how a handicap is calculated. Its flat, simple and should be seamless.
I'm also not sure which handicap rule book you are referencing, but I think we are looking at different things. :ROFLMAO:

I brought my GHIN number back after about eight years away from it, kids and what not kept me from playing enough to warrant carrying one. I was a +.2 when I let it go then started it again. I should have created a new one as I am closer to an 8 currently by score, but only a 4 or so because of the soft cap.
The more that I read some of this, the more it is bugging me. I get that an index is supposed to be a measure of a golfer’s potential, but “potential” is a very subjective term and it becomes even more subjective, once a soft cap is imposed over a formula. If I make an ace on a par 3, I obviously have the “potential” to hole out par 3’s from the tee. That does not mean that I am better on par 3’s than a scratch index who has never had an ace. Anyone can catch lightening in a bottle

As I begin to fight the aging process more earnestly, I am noticing much greater variances in my “potential” over relatively short periods of time. I can go for a couple months and play well, but then for a couple of months, my body just isn’t working well. I lose large amounts of club speed and cannot score the way in which I am accustomed. It doesn’t mean that I am injured. My body simply is not responding the way that I want it to. Imposing an artificial ceiling into my index does not let my index account for these cycles.

So much of the way golf is played and scored is based upon honor. You cannot prevent cheating. So, it makes no sense not to let an index float up or down based upon the actual 8 best of the last 20 scores.

None of that changes how a handicap is calculated. Its flat, simple and should be seamless.
I'm also not sure which handicap rule book you are referencing, but I think we are looking at different things. :ROFLMAO:

I thought the original complaint at the start the thread was that Canadan's handicap was a full point lower than his average 8-of-20 differentials would be. Right?

That is to say, his handicap was not simply an average 8-of-20 differentials but was an average 8-of-20 differentials modified by the Soft Cap, resulting in a lower handicap.

In other words, his actual handicap was computed using 8-of-20 differentials AND the Soft Cap. And under other circumstances he might have been hit by the Hard Cap instead.

You might think it should be straight 8-of-20, I might think it should be 8-of-20, Canadan might think it should 8-of-20. But it's USGA's system and they say there's a lot more to it than that. Hence his lower handicap. "Should" doesn't trump "is".

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I would suggest that everyone who can't live with these arbitrary, unfair bits of the USGA system do two things:

1) Write a letter to USGA explaining how very wrong they are

and then

2) Go ahead and cancel your subscription to GHIN because none of us are about to change USGA's mind.

I thought the original complaint at the start the thread was that Canadan's handicap was a full point lower than his average 8-of-20 differentials would be. Right?

That is to say, his handicap was not simply an average 8-of-20 differentials but was an average 8-of-20 differentials modified by the Soft Cap, resulting in a lower handicap.

In other words, his actual handicap was computed using 8-of-20 differentials AND the Soft Cap. And under other circumstances he might have been hit by the Hard Cap instead.

You might think it should be straight 8-of-20, I might think it should be 8-of-20, Canadan might think it should 8-of-20. But it's USGA's system and they say there's a lot more to it than that. Hence his lower handicap. "Should" doesn't trump "is".
I appreciate your analysis, but your point sort of begs the question. As you responded to me, “it is what it is.” My complaint is that what is, isn’t what should be. It is a theoretical debate because obviously we can’t change it, but I enjoy the discussion. Otherwise I wouldn’t be sitting at the keyboard writing posts and reading the other posts while I am supposed to be working on a contract, LOL.

My 'cap has been steadily trending upward, so I have been seeing that lately.:confused:

I know your conscience won't let you do it and neither will mine. But I'm not so sure about a few million other GHIN subscribers out there...
haha of course I won't, but that's the funny part.

The guys who cheat the system will do it.
The guys who don't will get punished by it.

It's just dumb.

I would suggest that everyone who can't live with these arbitrary, unfair bits of the USGA system do two things:

1) Write a letter to USGA explaining how very wrong they are

and then

2) Go ahead and cancel your subscription to GHIN because none of us are about to change USGA's mind.
I wrote an email to the USGA some time ago contesting their argument that distance has no consideration into how a handicap should be constructed (their only commentary on distance is that a scratch golfer hits the ball 250 and a bogey golfer hits it 200). Their response was useless. They explained what I already knew.

People keep a cap because they want to play in events or track their progress. I don't think it's as simple as saying "nah, I'm done with this" without giving up a lot of other things.

The saga continues!

Current handicap: 1.0 (soft capped)
Actual handicap calc: 2.3
Scoring average (last 20): 76.6
Low score: 73

I found out that I can actually petition my rules and handicap committee to eliminate the soft cap. This should be fun, and turns this from annoying to highly entertaining again hahaha

I learned some things today.

1- We have 25 members at my club currently soft capped.
2- The rules and handicap committee don't give a f**k about anything, aside from 'we aren't going against the rules of the USGA"
3- I'm annoyed

My current handicap is about a 1.3 (I assume, after today's round). I've been soft capped since +0.3.
My actual handicap (top 8 of 20, averaged on the differential), is 2.4875 aka 2.5

I have the ability to get an audience with someone at the local office, but I don't see the point. I come away with the following conclusions;

1- There is no point in having a handicap right now
2- I'm better off cheating and doubling my score to par until my cap levels than being an honest golfer
3- Just get better, forehead.

What an awful system. Forced vanity cap for an honest golfer.

I learned some things today.

1- We have 25 members at my club currently soft capped.
2- The rules and handicap committee don't give a f**k about anything, aside from 'we aren't going against the rules of the USGA"
3- I'm annoyed

My current handicap is about a 1.3 (I assume, after today's round). I've been soft capped since +0.3.
My actual handicap (top 8 of 20, averaged on the differential), is 2.4875 aka 2.5

I have the ability to get an audience with someone at the local office, but I don't see the point. I come away with the following conclusions;

1- There is no point in having a handicap right now
2- I'm better off cheating and doubling my score to par until my cap levels than being an honest golfer
3- Just get better, forehead.

What an awful system. Forced vanity cap for an honest golfer.
The “forced vanity cap for an honest golfer” is the most succinct way to summarize this shameful system. Certainly, if the defending U.S. Open champion can shoot a 44 on the black 9 of the final round, surely we amateurs could have an index that gravitates up and down by more than 2 strokes. This system presumes that your scoring never deteriorates for a period of a few months. I seriously am trying to decide whether to not renew at the end of this year.

Last edited:
The “forced vanity cap for an honest golfer” is the most succinct way to summarize this shameful system.
it's super frustrating.

Mind you, I'd be absolutely thrilled to resolve this little glitch I've got going on, and get back to shooting low scores, but I hate that our entire handicap system is built around blocking cheating vs honest golfing.

it's super frustrating.

Mind you, I'd be absolutely thrilled to resolve this little glitch I've got going on, and get back to shooting low scores, but I hate that our entire handicap system is built around blocking cheating vs honest golfing.
I added a little more to my post above. Whether it’s a fantastic player like you who is fighting a little glitch or a guy like me, who at 60 years old can shoot a series of good scores, but then fight sore hips, putting yips or something else that comes with age for a period of months and yet be stuck with an index that makes it impossible to compete, this system is a failure.

I had a nice hot streak in early July. Many of those scores will roll off this week and golf has been tough for the past week or so (nice way of saying "I suck"). Anyway, I'm expecting the dreaded soft cap to kick in soon...unless I remember how to hit a ball again or chip-in 5 or 6 times from 150+ yards out.

There's a lot going on in here, and I love a good handicap discussion.

The whole thing is just a series of arbitrary decisions, culminating in an inconsistent and ill-informed system.

If handicap was truly about potential - it would only use your single best score. It doesn't so we can throw that away.
If handicap was about average it would use all 20/20, or 10/10, or some other formula like that. It doesn't so we can throw that away.
Time between rounds isn't considered. Some guys play more rounds in a month than I play in a full season. This stinks to me.

In my opinion the unpopular answer is the following:
1) stop allowing people to post their own scores unattested. Its way too easy for cheaters to cheat right now, leading to all this soft capping nonsense.
2) weight tournament scores 4x or 5x.

I'm on the other end currently.
I was a 9.6 a couple weeks ago and today I sit uncomfortably at 6.1

Literally one weekend of good golf out of the last 52 will now dictate my Handicap for the remainder of this season and well into next May (nov-march don't count). Even if my game goes to crap tomorrow, I don't play enough golf to roll off those good scores in a reasonable time frame.

At this point I'm going to just see how low I can go and enjoy the chase, but it sucks knowing what's waiting for me on the other side when the gravy train runs out of steam.

I had a nice hot streak in early July. Many of those scores will roll off this week and golf has been tough for the past week or so (nice way of saying "I suck"). Anyway, I'm expecting the dreaded soft cap to kick in soon...unless I remember how to hit a ball again or chip-in 5 or 6 times from 150+ yards out.
Same situation here. I got hot for a few weeks and shot some unusually good scores, which took my handicap all the way down to an unprecedented 11.8. Now that I've come crashing back down to earth and those scores have dropped off, I'm soft capped at 14.9.

I seriously am trying to decide whether to not renew at the end of this year
If it weren't for the fact that the last two golf courses I've belonged to included GHIN in the membership I wouldn't sign up for it on my own. I no longer play in any events where a GHIN handicap is used and use it only for tracking my own game.

My average this year after 28 rounds is 84.8. I was a 12 for quite awhile. Had a great round on an easier course 76, two weeks ago

I immediately went down to 9.9 and can't believe that's what I'm going to continue playing to :confused2:

I was softcapped during the winter month and into early spring, but now playing to my low.

Back