The Golf Channel - Morning Drive

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Morning Drive will originate from a dedicated studio at Golf Channel's Orlando, Fla., headquarters. Although golf content will lead the way, the weekday show also will feature news and commentary about stories making headlines around the world, finance, pop culture - even weather. In addition, some of the biggest names in golf, as well as personalities and celebrities from all walks of life, will regularly join the show as studio guests.

Kuselias comes to Golf Channel from ESPN, where he has been a host and analyst since 2003. Most recently, while at ESPN, Kuselias created and hosted the Emmy Award-winning Fantasy Football NOW, was the primary host of College Football Live and The Erik Kuselias Show on ESPN Radio, and has been a fixture on Mike and Mike in the Morning. Previously, Kuselias hosted the nationally syndicated SportsBash weekday afternoons on ESPN Radio, and in 2007, he was the anchor for NASCAR NOW, when it was nominated for an Emmy for "Best Studio Show."

Williams comes from Sirius Satellite Radio, where he co-hosted the early morning show on Sirius' Mad Dog Radio. He also served as a lead host on the PGA TOUR Network on Sirius/XM. Previously, Williams hosted the top-rated morning-drive sports-formatted radio program in Charlotte, N.C., for nine years. His other on-air credits include play-by-play for ESPN and also the Carolina Panthers television network.

"Erik and Gary are welcome additions to the Golf Channel, and bring a wealth of diverse experience in broadcast journalism," said Tom Stathakes, Golf Channel senior vice president of programming, production and operations. "Both are incredible personalities and have a vast knowledge of golf and beyond, which should create for extremely interesting content on Morning Drive."

Said Kuselias, "It's exciting to be part of this new Golf Channel venture and I look forward to working with Gary and the production team to bring a dynamic morning program to viewers."

"I've always been impressed with Golf Channel's high-caliber broadcasts and talented reporters and commentators," said Williams. "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Erik Kuselias and the network's production team in creating a morning show that will both inform and entertain Golf Channel fans."

Morning Drive joins an exciting new slate of original programming premiering this January, including the new docu-reality series Pipe Dream, which follows a homeless man's extraordinary journey to regain his life and golf glory; the third season of The Haney Project, which will feature Rush Limbaugh as he attempts to improve his golf game under the guidance of one of the world's best golf instructors and Tiger Woods' former swing coach Hank Haney; and a look behind the scenes at the Trump golf empire on the second season of Donald J. Trump's Fabulous World of Golf. January also marks the start of the 2011 PGA TOUR season, with the year's first three events exclusively on Golf Channel.

as an early riser, i look forward to this show. i wish they'd can the Haney Project though, that show offers nothing to the amateur golfer imo.

• Admin
Looking forward to what people have to say about this new show.

Looking forward to what people have to say about this new show.

+2. Although I'll miss it most days, always good to see something new on GC.

Thanks for the heads up JB...checking it out now!

• Admin
Its amazing how many of the exact same topics are the ones Jake & Lefty covered and their "expert" is agreeing with Lefty on Jamie Lovemark.

I'm tuned in but the episode is almost over, since starts up again immediately following this one ending I'll be able to catch it all start to finish. So far it seems pretty cool though, anytime I can listen to people talk golf or talk golf myself I'm in!

Its amazing how many of the exact same topics are the ones Jake & Lefty covered and their "expert" is agreeing with Lefty on Jamie Lovemark.
Clearly this is the chic pick of 2011, Lefty started it all! Of course we know what happens to chic picks now don't we? NFL chic pics San Francisco, Dallas, Cincinnati ring a bell?

Kuselias is a good talent, I have to admit though that this seems like 2 steps backwards in his career at first glance. TGC only ranks 78th out of 90 tracked cable/satelite channels for total viewership with the 4 letter network ranking in the top 10.

Kuselias is a good talent, I have to admit though that this seems like 2 steps backwards in his career at first glance. TGC only ranks 78th out of 90 tracked cable/satelite channels for total viewership with the 4 letter network ranking in the top 10.

Hold that thought for a few months first. I believe with everything changing over at TGC, you will see EK being featured on NBC Sports and their "sports network" in versus.

I'm listening, but it's going to have to grow on me, it's putting me to sleep at the moment.

If you look at EK with ESPN though he wasn't exactly heading up every one of their shows and/or broadcasts, he had his own show that ran at times that I barely ever even heard it, then he was a routine substitute for shows like Mike and Mike and even the Doug Gottlieb show so really this isnt that big of a step back for him. Why be the 5th or 6th or 7th guy in a network when he can come to Golf Channel and bring instant recognition and hopefully snowball that into a successful run. I don't love EK but I don't mind him either, he can get irritating when he gets on his soap box and preaches about the right and wrong of a certain situation but then again, is there a sports talk radio host that doesn't get irritating when they're doing that? I think it's a good move for EK and for Golf Channel.

I liked the show. Good variety and EK did a good job. I will be tuning in the rest of the week to see how it goes. Probably will tune in next week to see how they are/what they discuss while the TOUR season is going on.

If you look at EK with ESPN though he wasn't exactly heading up every one of their shows and/or broadcasts, he had his own show that ran at times that I barely ever even heard it, then he was a routine substitute for shows like Mike and Mike and even the Doug Gottlieb show so really this isnt that big of a step back for him. Why be the 5th or 6th or 7th guy in a network when he can come to Golf Channel and bring instant recognition and hopefully snowball that into a successful run. I don't love EK but I don't mind him either, he can get irritating when he gets on his soap box and preaches about the right and wrong of a certain situation but then again, is there a sports talk radio host that doesn't get irritating when they're doing that? I think it's a good move for EK and for Golf Channel.

I love EK and glad I can see him every morning now. I don't think he was the 5,6,7 guy at the network, he had the best show on ESPN radio witht he sportsbash and he chose to leave it to try and pursue more tv work. Since he left that show in 2007 they are still trying to find a good show to fill that spot. I'm watching now and so far so good.

I used to listen to Gary Williams when he had the show at WFNZ am in Charlotte.I always thought that he was pretty good at talk radio ,but not sure how he will do at TV.Unfortunately , I have to be at work at 6 am so I will miss the show but I may tape it a few times to see what its like.It sucks to be a TV tech,but not have cable or Sat . at work because they think we will spend too much time watching and not enough producing.:confused2:

as an early riser, i look forward to this show. i wish they'd can the Haney Project though, that show offers nothing to the amateur golfer imo.

I don't know, I like the Haney project. With Barkley and from the previews Rush, it's nice to see there are at least 2 golfers in the world worse than me:D

I like it so far, I'm partial though cause I really enjoy Gary Williams. cut my sports teeth listening to him on charlotte AM radio, I was sad when he left but hope this show last. It's nice having something worth a dang to watch/listen to in the morning before walking to work. This should really get good when the season gains some steam and since I'm off on Thursday I can lounge and watch tv in bed.

I get my posting on the run

listening/watching this now....not bad, better than I thought it'd be

Caught a bit this morning and liked it. I will never be able to watch much of it, but it is a great option to flip over to after catching the local weather (even though I have an app for that...).

i'm addicted to this show. i thought today's show was really good as i enjoyed all the guests and i enjoyed the topics discussed. i think the GC has a winner on their hands with this show.

i'm addicted to this show. i thought today's show was really good as i enjoyed all the guests and i enjoyed the topics discussed. i think the GC has a winner on their hands with this show.

I watched some this morning. I used to like listening to Gary Williams on Mad Dog Radio and when he was on PGA Network Radio for coverage. Sometimes I like EK but sometimes he drives me nuts. I giving it a chance, I could only watch from 7-8 than off to work. Too bad it didn't start at 6 or 6:30.

I've been watching the show most mornings and its not bad. Todays segment with Gmac was pretty good and had me laughing when he talked about Poulter tweeting like a 16 yo girl.

Donald Trumps not my fav person in the world, but loved how he didn't mince words on the president.

Pretty good show.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

So far I like the show. I like EK I used to watch him on Fantasy Football now. I could never take any of his pics seriously there because they were often wrong but maybe things are different with golf. All joking aside I do like the show and I like their setup and I hope this does well in the ratings.

Back