The Golf Chick Project

Played today and I was able to use my 3w in the fairway for 153 yards onto the green :clapp: YAY!!! Par 5 hole, I hit the green in 3 shots but ended up 3-putting for a bogey :sad:
Don't you love this game? You can hit a terrible drive and end up with a par, or you can hit a beautiful drive and end up with a double. Anywho, it's nice to hear you are making progress and enjoying yourself in the process. :)

Great job! Your hard work is paying off. Hows the hybrid coming along?

How's my hybrid you ask? Well...I haven't had much work with it or practice with it because I've been so 3w minded lately!! I tried hitting with it a little bit, but I think it'll be the same weight shift and pretty much the same swing as the 3w as well. I haven't used it in play yet! Tomorrow for my lesson (wow, it'll be our 12th lesson already!) we'll be working with both the 3w and the 4h.

Don't you love this game? You can hit a terrible drive and end up with a par, or you can hit a beautiful drive and end up with a double. Anywho, it's nice to hear you are making progress and enjoying yourself in the process. :)

One of these days...probably far far into the future, all aspects of my game will start to come together. Its funny, when I'm exceeding at once part of my game, the other parts seem to be so off. I guess its what keeps the world round, to keep its balance haa haa :D

Had my last lesson in the 6 part series last night. Don't worry, I'll be continuing with my lessons, it'll just be me for a while so I'll get more personalized attention. We worked on my 3w yesterday. And we figured out that I was not on the same plane. We worked on this a lot and then I was able to hit monster shot with my 3w and then I lost it so I put it away and will get back to it later :)

My instructor set up a pole diagnoally behind me, my plane! Using a broom, I took my backswing along the pole line and then at the top of my backswing, the broom was the same as the pole (same angle). I've noticed that at the top of my backswing I'm too flat, I need to be more angled. Then coming down through the downswing, the broom followed the same line as the pole. So instead of having my right arm come across, like I was doing before, it needs to come down. I don't know how I'm able to hit all my other clubs, just not the 3w (and the 4h since I haven't worked with it yet) :confused2: Now that I know my swing plane, hopefully I can keep that image of the pole behind me when I'm at the range or even on the course, lots of work ahead of me!

GC - the 3W is probably the hardest club in your bag to learn to hit. I still struggle with that club from time to time. I hit it best when I swing easy and don't try to kill it. I set up similar to my driver except I put the ball slightly back from my left heel and use the same tempo as with my driver. As for the hybrid, I read something the other day that has helped me improve with it. The tip said to hit it like you do your 7 iron. Now when I set up to it, I pretend I am hitting my 7 iron and it is SO much easier to hit. Remember that the hybrid should be hit exactly like an iron and that will make you hit down better.

Another thing to consider is using your 5W instead of 3W. There is not that much difference in the distance and the 5W is easier to hit. Master it first and then start trying your 3W.

Love watching your progress!

GC - the 3W is probably the hardest club in your bag to learn to hit. I still struggle with that club from time to time. I hit it best when I swing easy and don't try to kill it. I set up similar to my driver except I put the ball slightly back from my left heel and use the same tempo as with my driver. As for the hybrid, I read something the other day that has helped me improve with it. The tip said to hit it like you do your 7 iron. Now when I set up to it, I pretend I am hitting my 7 iron and it is SO much easier to hit. Remember that the hybrid should be hit exactly like an iron and that will make you hit down better.

Another thing to consider is using your 5W instead of 3W. There is not that much difference in the distance and the 5W is easier to hit. Master it first and then start trying your 3W.

Love watching your progress!

I don't have a 5w so maybe I should think about getting one...I have no problems hitting my driver, but with the 3w...oh boy!! Thanks for the tips :) Need to just keep working at it!

Still working on the 3 wood. I made some progress and had a breakthough so we'll see how it goes on the weekend when I play. I had my lesson tonight and we spent 90 minutes just working with my 3 wood. My instructor had different drills and tools to help me, I need tons of help still with it. What finally got my weight transfer working was at address, I lifted my left heel up and that seemed to do the trick. SO when I play on Saturday and I need to use my 3 wood, I'm going to life my heel up :) I was able to hit my irons just fine, didn't get to the driver, only the 3 wood. Its my hardest club to hit by far and I'm sure it'll take a few more lessons with it before I get it down. We also worked on keeping my club in the plane and my triangle in the backswing...I guess he was letting me slip by on that (the plane part). Still have more work to go, boy its exhausting...

This clip might be useful - nice simple swing thought that I presume helps you to stay shallow and sweep the ball away. In my experience most 3 wood shots go bad as the player gets too steep.

Apologies for the slightly cheesy aspects but a visual example rather than my garbled words will doubtless prove more useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNyoKfWE2N0

Loving your updates still, keep em coming

This clip might be useful - nice simple swing thought that I presume helps you to stay shallow and sweep the ball away. In my experience most 3 wood shots go bad as the player gets too steep.

Apologies for the slightly cheesy aspects but a visual example rather than my garbled words will doubtless prove more useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNyoKfWE2N0

Loving your updates still, keep em coming

Thanks for the video :) He just makes it look so easy...If only it were that simple *sigh* :) Next lesson, I'm sure we'll still continue working with my 3 wood.

I have officially lost my swing. I had my lesson last night(it was just me since the bf was running late, but he spent more time with me which was what I needed last night) I'm back to the PW. Forget the 9i, the PW. My swing was that bad. I think it's because I was so focused on hitting my 3w that all those bad habits trickled down to my irons. And since we didn't have a lesson last week and was working on the 3w for 3 weeks, it seems like I'm starting over :sad:

My stance was off, my arms were so disconnected and my swing plane was off completely. We went back to the headcover under the right arm to putting the right heel up and lining up 3 balls so I'd only hit the middle ball if I was on the correct out to in swing. I have an inside out swing and he's getting me to fix that. Looks like I will be back to my 9i for a while :banghead:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be patient and keep working at it, you have already seen that you can do it so it will come back.

"Well There is one other school of thought"
"Yeah whats that?"
"Grip it and Rip it"
Roy "tin cup" McAvoy

Shake it off. hit a couple of drivers as hard as you can. Laugh a little as one will probabaly roll 5 feet. (done that) and never forget this is supposed to be fun. Your swing will come back. Hang in there.

be patient and keep working at it, you have already seen that you can do it so it will come back.

"Well There is one other school of thought"
"Yeah whats that?"
"Grip it and Rip it"
Roy "tin cup" McAvoy

Shake it off. hit a couple of drivers as hard as you can. Laugh a little as one will probabaly roll 5 feet. (done that) and never forget this is supposed to be fun. Your swing will come back. Hang in there.

Thanks guys! I realize that golf is a roller coaster, with ups there will be plenty of downs and low times...I was just in one a few weeks ago and now I'm back in another low :( On the upside, there should be a really good "high" coming soon :D

I may be stopping by the driving range on the way home today just to see how I do...

Golf...what a game...

I had a major breakthrough in my lesson last night. I'm back to only hitting my 9 iron but I'm hitting it correctly, on plane and using my big muscles instead of my arms, as I had been doing since day one. I had the biggest problem of using my arms and having the club before my body. Now with all of my instructor's tools (he's got more tools too) I was able to stay on plane and keep my arms connected and shift my weight correctly. Towards the end of my lesson I had asked if I could use my driver. He laughed and we're not quite ready for that yet. I need to stick to my irons for a while now that my swing has changed and for the better :) will be back at the range tonight to practice. I'm slowly getting there :) maybe, just maybe I will finally be able to hit with my 3 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear your swing with your 9-iron is back. You've got a great attitude about your progress - you're doing great! :thumb:

Keep working it and like bonkn said keep up the positive attitude.

After a week's of vacation from golf and no lesson, tonight was right back in the saddle. I had my golf lesson today and wow, it was amazing :) My instructor told me to get closer to the ball and put the weight on the balls of my feet, so it seems like my eyes are right on top of the ball. This way, my arms stay connected and sure enough, in my back swing and follow through, my arms were connected and I was hitting the ball effortlessly :) YAY!! :clapp: Then I was hitting with my driver, not standing as close as my shorter irons, but my arms were connected and I was getting at least 150 yards with my driver effortlessly. It was AMAZING :clapp: YAY!! I'm taking a week off from golf lessons and then getting back into it. My lessons are now going to be every other week instead of every week. This way, I can space them out and get some more practice in the meantime. My slump may just be over...we'll have to see :)

Wow, you're doing great GC! :thumb:

dont forget to play at least 9 once in a while to take what youve learned(from lessons) and practiced(on the range) to the course

dont forget to play at least 9 once in a while to take what youve learned(from lessons) and practiced(on the range) to the course

Unfortunately, haven't had much time to even get on a course to play lately :crying:

After a week's of vacation from golf and no lesson, tonight was right back in the saddle. I had my golf lesson today and wow, it was amazing :) My instructor told me to get closer to the ball and put the weight on the balls of my feet, so it seems like my eyes are right on top of the ball. This way, my arms stay connected and sure enough, in my back swing and follow through, my arms were connected and I was hitting the ball effortlessly :) YAY!! :clapp: Then I was hitting with my driver, not standing as close as my shorter irons, but my arms were connected and I was getting at least 150 yards with my driver effortlessly. It was AMAZING :clapp: YAY!! I'm taking a week off from golf lessons and then getting back into it. My lessons are now going to be every other week instead of every week. This way, I can space them out and get some more practice in the meantime. My slump may just be over...we'll have to see :)

My swing disappears from time to time and normally a little breaky and a quick back to basics lesson or two make it find its way back home. Your progress is great!

After not having golf lessons in a while and not practicing in a very long time, the BF and I were finally out on the course over the weekend. I think its good to take a little break from golf, then when you return, its just like riding a bike with little tweaks. I beat the BF yesterday :joy: I usually don't beat him at all, but I was having such a great golf day yesterday and my swings were spot on, esp. my drives (188 yards) WHOOHOO!!! I shot a 107. Not my best score (104), but great for me on a course that I've never played before!! Just to be able to finally beat the BF at golf, amazing :D Only my 2nd time!

I won't have a lesson this week, but should be having one next week. And then over the weekend, I plan on working on the short game and hitting the par 3 courses.

:banana: super job on your round and :beat-up: the BF! I need to work on my short game also but there are no par three courses around here so i have to do it on the range.

wow GC, you are smacking that driver!!! Nicely done on your round!

Back