The Golfing Gods have a sense of humour

foreputt

Reaction score
Handicap
I have known for a long time that the golfing gods exist, sometimes they fly under the cover of "the rub of the green".
Having played yesterday where they intervened a number of times I thought I would share my round for your entertainment...

Setting the scene, normal Sunday morning stroke play competition round with 2 of my friends, weather was fair no wind or anything to worry about.
1st tee shot I have struggled with lately by running out of fairway on the dogleg and needing to chip out, so I hit my 2 hybrid to the corner and still in play with 200yds to the green so good so far, pull my second shot left of the greenside bunker leave myself short sided, try the flop shot, short into the bunker, splash out 2 putts double bogey 6.
2nd tee shot great drive 295yds just in the left semi rough 80yds out, chunk the 56* into the lip of the left greenside bunker, splash out (just) chip on 1 putt bogey
3rd par 5 good drive, go for the green with second shot pull it into the trees, chip out, just get next shot onto the front of the green 2 putts bogey.
4 over after three holes not the ideal start and my 3 handicap has all been used up.
The rest of the front 9 I got on the par train with a few decent up and downs and missed birdie chances on 6 and 9. Still 4 over
Back 9 parred 10th hardest hole on the course.
11th tee short par 4 dogleg left, usually hit my hybrid to the corner and then wedge onto elevated green, I have just bought the new Srixon zx4 4 iron for this very hole so out it comes, smothered hook into the deep rough, hit a provisional as expect to lose the first ball. Golf gods intervention #1, find the ball in the middle of a huge clump of reeds totally unplayable, take a line of sight penalty and drop the ball 140yds out from the green in the semi rough with trees to go over, hit a 9 iron to 6' hole the putt par!
12th hole par 5 decent drive, 220yds out hit hybrid onto the green 20' from the pin. Golf gods intervention #2, tricky downhill double breaker I try to make it, miss 3 putt par!
13th hole par 3 Golf gods intervention #3 I hit a skinny 6 iron, where on my follow through my scorecard holder comes flying out my back pocket and ends up hitting me on my back and then falls at my feet, the ball rolls to 1' from the pin and I tap in for birdie! 3 over par
Uneventful par at 14, good up and down from greenside.
15th hole par 3 Golf gods intervention #4 large tree overhangs front left of the green, normally any tee shot hit in that direction is repelled off into the rough or bunkers, this time happily deflects ball onto the green 10' from the pin! 2 putt par
16th Par 5 uneventful birdie, 17th good up and down for a par 3
18th Drive left into trees Golf gods intervention #5 walking down to where I thought my ball would be in the trees only to find it has proved the 90% air rule and is in position A in the fairway 50 yds further on, 7 iron onto the green 2 putt par for a 2 over 73 gross.

This where in normal terms the story would end, however the the golfing gods weren't quite finished!
On completion of the round we sign our cards and then input our scores onto the computer which has an up to date leaderboard of all scores for the day, I see that my score of 73 minus my 3 handicap would have me as leader in the clubhouse. Golf gods intervention #6 I go to put my score in the computer it won't let me as it says I already have logged a score that day 87 - 3 for an 84!:rolleyes:
So I go from leader in the clubhouse to pretty much last All Hail the Golfing Gods!! It will hopefully all be sorted out but I thought it was pretty funny.

Any one else had a day where the golfing gods were smiling or otherwise?

Back