The Grandaddy will Return in 2022

So speaking on the above topic, some advice/thoughts to future Grandaddy hopefuls/participants.

Remember the big picture.

Some specific examples I want to point out:
I am a competitive person by nature. At the ECPC we had a pushcart race. No idea what the prize was at the time, I still wanted to win. And i tried to win. I was making great time when I went around the corner, only to nearly wipe out and finish last.
As a team, we faced some challenges and changes that we had to just go with. We had to bring our own clubs to play with, not every club option was available to each of us at the range, some of us (myself included) were steamrolled during a competitive match at the Hideaway, and sometimes you do something like break a sprinkler and feel absolutely terrible about it and are presented a $300 bill for the repair while everyone has a great laugh at you.

Point is, things are going to happen out of your control, and not go the way you expect them sometimes during this experience. But always remember the big picture. As a member of The Grandaddy you are representing an amazing community, at an amazing place, with amazing people; it’s an amazing opportunity.

It turned out so much better that I lost the cart race, and some fun content with the sprinkler head catastrophe. Not for me necessarily, but for the team and experience overall. And sometimes that is what you have to sit back and realize, this experience is better when things benefit the team/community more so than just yourself. Those smiles, conversations, memories of everything that worked out better for everyone, rather than just myself, I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything.
Love this. Many of us try to share with new team members to resist the temptation to focus on the competition, against our natural instincts. Maybe you can’t rally appreciate how it’s about so much more until you’ve experienced it. But once you are experiencing it you get it.

Whoever the Captain’s pick is know that you’ve got a group of people here to help you. We are all part of a very small and incredibly blessed fraternity. We know how precious this is and we want you to be successful. We understand what it means to carry the responsibility. I still recall fondly some special messages from @Canadan. I’ve been honored to lend an ear and my thoughts to captains that followed me. We are here for you.

Here’s my advice:
1. Treat it like Christmas. If you go in looking for what you can get out of it you miss the magic. If you go in embracing the spirit of the event magic can happen. To me this is the key - it’s the foundation for gratitude, relationships and fun, the currencies of the event..
2. Understand that Callaway wants to have fun too. It’s a guys (and gals) trip for them. What type of things do you like when you and your buddies take a golf trip? Make it that for them.
3. You and your team are stewards of something special. Do what you can to pay it forward to the next group by helping to ensure The Grandaddy returns next year. Do this and you have won something much more substantial than that elusive belt.
4. We have had a streak of especially solid captains (EDIT: , AssCaps) and teams recently. There might be a temptation to think this thing is on auto-pilot. That would be wrong. Those Captains (EDIT: , AssCaps) and teams were great - in my opinion - because they nailed 1-3, plus other stuff. Don’t take the responsibility or honor for granted. You got this!

Last edited:
Who knew that the Grandaddy was so friendly to our "gravity-challenged" THP members. (y)

There is so much great advice on being captain in this thread I’m not going to say much at the risk of just regurgitating something another person has said. My advice is a bit of an oxymoron

1. Don’t take it to serious. Not that I know exactly how it feels, but being thrust into this role can be a big responsibility and in turn can force you to possibly put pressure on yourself. Know what captains have done in the past and use certain things they’ve done in your approach. However don’t worry about filling their shoes. As someone else said, this is your team. As long as you are cultivating an environment where THP’ers can enjoy the time of their life, an environment where Callaway is respected, appreciated, and reciprocated for what they are doing for us with gratitude and honest reviews then the mission is accomplished. If all of that plays out correctly then hopefully the Gdaddy returns for the next 12 guys to take a stab at it.

2. the little things are what is important in making this special for THP’ers. This is where the oxymoron comes in because it’s a bit contradictory to say keep it simple then request minute details. However, a congratulatory message or call from the cap after being selected goes a long way. Zoom calls to build team chemistry. Dropping the newest bit of Callaway news in a group message for everyone to banter about for a few hours. These are easy little things a captain can do to really build excitement for the event and make it feel special for the whole team leading up to the event. ask for help from previous captains when needed. I know they will be chomping at the bit to help you out. Once you get to the event, besides making sure everyone is enjoying and behaving themselves your work is done for the time being. The magic of the event and amazing planning from @JB and @JasonFinleyCG provide everyone with something not even the captain can provide.

Also just like the first few years of a child’s life. Appreciate the buildup. The captain is the longest tenured member of the Grandaddy and thus they have the longest wait. Don’t rush it. You want the event to be here, but the buildup to it is half the fun. I miss the feeling of being able to text my brothers and clamor that we are only X amount of days away. Now our group message looks like a bunch of old guys reminiscing about the glory days. And just like that old fat 2 time all state QB that never left home, we will be talking about this the rest of our lives lol.

Someone is going to be a Captain soon. Just saying.

We have Apex irons and UTs and hybrids and UW.... Wonder if an Apex Driver and wedges are coming?

Someone is going to be a Captain soon. Just saying.
I remember how exciting it was to get picked as a participant (I literally couldn't spit out a sentence to my wife that made sense) and I can't even imagine what it would like to be picked as Captain. It's unreal to think about.

This is harder than it has been in years past.
Here is what we can tell you.
The captain will be someone that has followed and been involved in other Live Update threads when not participating.
They are someone that is active on THP.
And someone that we feel through both our own thoughts and the advice of others that we reached out to, will do a good job.

The captain will be someone that has followed and been involved in other Live Update threads when not participating.
And someone that we feel through both our own thoughts and the advice of others that we reached out to, will do a good job.

This will be awesome @JB!

I remember the other Captain, and even AssCap reveals, and it's always such a fun exciting time for THP. Really looking forward to whomever gets tabbed as Captain and how they put their stamp on another Grandaddy event!

Can’t freaking wait to hear who it is!

Sounds like the perfect captain. But even with that said, there probably are a number that fit the part. Can’t wait to see who it is!

Looking forward to seeing who is picked!

You and me both! Immortalize those moments. I loved going back and watching those.
@JB should let you facetime whoever it is to reveal it. Record the whole thing.

No one is randomly accepting a FaceTime call from me. 🤣😂🤣
On second thought, that would be really awkward if they didn't have facetime or whatever. Just a video of you up in the corner waiting for someone to answer...

Back