CONTEST The Grandmama: Win A Full Bag Of Callaway Equipment, A Trip and More

Best part about my golf ball is that it fits my game better than any other ball. Is this exact model ball played on tour? Don't know and don't care. What fits a guy that swings 120+ mph is likely not going to yield the same fit for one that swings 95- mph. Is it the longest ball? Probably not. Does it produce the most backspin of any ball? No. What it does give me is the most consistent and predictable results in all facets of my game which gives me a chance to shoot the best score.

Entry...

I played a ton of balls from discounts to freebies to trial sleeves and decided on Q-Star Tour. I appreciate the firm ball off the tee that provides feedback on the sound and thwack placed on it yielding agressive distance and optimized performance. The cover is durable but also possesses modern technology to be able to produce tour level spin. On approaches, this ball provides a little hop while maintaining spin for accuracy. My ball provides the right touch around the green. Off the putter, you get a nice sound with perfect compromise between a rock and marshmallow.

Last edited:
My official entry:

CSX TT:
Triple Track was a primary reason for trying these. I line up putts with a line on the ball, then putter to that line. TT helped me align better than any line, while also being useful on a tee. As a person that fights low spin with moderate speed with irons I sensed an uptick in distance and stopping power over its CS siblings. Off driver it was a little lower launching. Saw again increased distance but struggled slightly with control, probably due to my moderate swing speed. Short shots were precise. Feel was firm, but not unpleasant.
How would you compare it to the ProV1x? If I recall correctly you were fit into those, right?

The only correct answer to this contest is: Chrome Soft with Triple Track. :p

How would you compare it to the ProV1x? If I recall correctly you were fit into those, right?
I thought this was every bit as long across the bag. Imho this was lower launching, particularly off driver. For me that increased distance with the csx. Triple track was a big plus for me. For whatever reason, and could have been my swing throughout, I hit more fairways with the V1X. I would need to do additional testing to figure out the why of it though.

Entry:
Pro V1x. For my game? Until last December, I immediately dismissed them: how can a high-end, "spinny" ball suit my erratic, thin-hitting swing? Well, I did a ball fitting, and although the numbers said it was the right ball for me, I had to take them to the course for validation. Firm and far off the tee (with a slight draw), stops where I want it to, and a nice feel off the putter face...my perceived notions were wrong! Now if I could just find some 2020 Chrome Soft X balls to test against Pro V1x...

My current ball of choice is the Titleist ProV1. The main reasons I like these balls are that they are round, they have dimples, and it’s the most consistent ball I have played. I’ve tried all types of Callaway, Bridgestone, Srixon, Vice, and TaylorMade balls over the years and the ProV1’s react and spin to my swing much better than the competition. The other companies make a good product, but it’s the ProV1 for me. Just like clubs, you have to find what works best for you.

Gotta move this back up the board.

My ball has been a Chrome Soft for the last 4 years. I have found no lack of distance or dispersion in spite of all the flack it recently received. So far this limited Covid19 season I’ve played the 2020 CSTT. TT tech is real. Never knew how much right I aimed with the putter. Feel, distance and spin are superb. I’m 63 and the oldest by 6-10 years and longest by far in my group. So I will say soft is not slow or short. Need to get me a 2020 CSxTT to review!

Entry:
I have played a different ball seems like every year. Remember the Top Flite XL, the Maxfli, TaylorMade TP Black, Callaway Diablo, Callaway Hex. I played them all, some good, others well.... Ok
My current gamer Srixon Q Star Tour. What I like is that it does give that strong feel off the tee. My swing speed is perfect for the ball compression and I can immediately feel how well it was struck. Off my irons it gives me wonderful feedback almost instantaneously with what I call the crispness of the hit. I have tried several different putters with this ball and I have found a non insert putter works best, I can feel the ball explode from the face. Combination of crisp, feel, and explosive power. Srixon Q Star Tour, a ball for the good amateur player.

Official Entry:

I like a ball that goes straight off of the tee, but let's be honest, sometimes it finds the trees. So, I also like a ball that I can punch real low and that I can get to stop real real slow. Once on the green, I like a ball that rolls real true, so when I'm done I can write down a two.

Ok...entry....start counting.

I impart a lot of spin and am always looking for a low spinning ball. I think I've found one but there's so many that fit that profile. That said, one constant regardless of what I use - a line. A solid putting line to help alignment. I've stopped doing this the last few rounds out of laziness (also with covid cups and flags, I just don't care). But the absence of that routine has affected my putting for the worst. I have not tried triple track but really want to. If one line is good, 3 has to be great.
ERC Soft would be perfect for you dude.

Good luck to everyone entering!

This week the first Grandmama participant will be announced.

Entry:

It flies straight and far from time to time,
which direction it will head is sure to surprise.
It is not too spinny but can stop on a dime,
a perfectly executed shot provides great joy I surmise.
But do not get too comfortable during the climb,
before long I will send you to your demise.
It wasn’t your fault, my swing caused the crime,
the time we spent together I wouldn’t revise.

Funny enough the piece of technology that is making the biggest impact on my scorecard doesn’t seem all that high tech. As much as I love the AI designed face or jailbreak bars it is the three little lines on the golf ball. It makes such an impact on my putting that anything without Triple Track isn’t on my radar.

This week the first Grandmama participant will be announced.

How exciting! First ever Grandmama participant announced this week! Get your entries in and get ya popcorn ready!

I consider 2 things when choosing a golf ball: Spin & Feel. The Chrome Soft has been my ball for 3 years because it has been the best spinning/feeling ball in the mid-$30’s price range. The CS mitigates the spin I put on my driver while leaving enough around the greens for a versatile short game. Feel is where the ball shines as the CS comes off the putter/wedges crisply while having a softer feel with the irons/woods. The Truvis pattern adds another layer of confidence no other ball rivals for an incredible performance mix.

what a great opportunity to be at the First Experience of its kind

The golf ball is an integral part of the game of golf. While small & an aspect that gets little talk! My ball is all about durability & reaction. As an amateur golfer, I tend to find different hazards on the course trees, trash cans & those well placed cart paths. A ball that looks brand new & can withstand those impacts gets an extra nod from me. However while the appearance of the golf ball is important, it is how the ball reacts which gets the needle moving. When you hit a wedge shot & see the ball back up like no other or stop on a dime next to the flagstick is what draws goosebumps. So what drives you to golf the ball that you game?!?!?!

More entries! More entries!

The idea of having CMP help you share your thoughts and experiences, how cool is that? A crash course on media production? Sign me up!

Lot of good entries and cannot wait to find it later this week who will be one of luckiest THPers! Awesome event coming up

Entry:

I’m a low handicap golfer yet have a moderate driver SS. Because the USGA defines how far a golf ball can go any golf ball ad stating that I will gain 20 yards-well I’m not so sure. So what am I looking for in a golf ball? Consistency, dependability and durability. Distance, yes, but spin when I need it, performance in all types of conditions and great feel throughout the bag is why the Chrome Soft is my ball. It checks off all the boxes and gives me a 15th club in my bag every time I tee it up-confidence.

Back