The Great Unknown

Totally would. I am trying to figure out how to angle for a couple years abroad with my current job. Ultimately I want to stay in California and end up on the central coast because out of all the places I have lived it is the best. But I definitely would relocate if I had the right opportunity.

So semantics. The whole idea is to let your imagination run. I said that to make sure people wouldn't get the idea they might be worse off than they are now.
So the only gain in the deal is you live in a new place that is exotic and walk away from your previous life...Maybe that's good for you but not for me.

So the only gain in the deal is you live in a new place that is exotic and walk away from your previous life...Maybe that's good for you but not for me.
You really can't seem to wrap your head around the concept of this. This is not a comparison to me or to anything. It's a hypothetical scenario/question. If you're type C, you're type C. That's all.

My perspective is admittedly colored by the fact that I don't much enjoy travel/tourism in the first place. I'll go somewhere if it's for the purpose of doing some specific cool/fun thing that I want to do, but I have virtually zero interest in traveling just to randomly see new places and things. As in, I wouldn't go to Paris or Barcelona or Rome or Hawaii or Bora Bora or wherever just to go there and experience it/see the sights. I would go to Scotland to play St. Andrews, or to the Cayman Islands to scuba dive, or to France to do a multiple-day scenic bike tour, or something along those lines. Of course I would incidentally go sightseeing once I was there, but the main purpose of the trip would have been to do that specific something.

Definitely A, and it wouldn't even be a decision to make. I would love to do that, absolutely love to. Timely post, because I'm actually considering it strongly...

For me it would be A. I have worked all over the world during my career band find the experiences exciting. If you’re adventurous, go for it. You only live once.

For me it would be A. I have worked all over the world during my career band find the experiences exciting. If you’re adventurous, go for it. You only live once.
Agreed. I have traveled and lived all over the globe, to some very unique places. It lit the flame I have now for leisure travel, and I am looking forward to living abroad again. Especially making the effort to dive in and live in places I've never been. Even if just for a few months at a time.

This is a fun thought experiment. I watch people on international house hunters try to shoehorn their US lifestyle into a European commnity that's not designed for it... there's some culture shock but the end result looks like happiness

This is a fun thought experiment. I watch people on international house hunters try to shoehorn their US lifestyle into a European commnity that's not designed for it... there's some culture shock but the end result looks like happiness
What a great way to discover what material things are truly life necessities.

You're right there. I know people in the military that will purge before each move to make sure they're below the established weight limits for the military to pay for their move... the stuff they keep is important.

I'm not saying mine isn't any more important but I've got boxes in rooms in my house that haven't been opened since I moved in years ago. but it's important stuff.:oops::)

You're right there. I know people in the military that will purge before each move to make sure they're below the established weight limits for the military to pay for their move... the stuff they keep is important.

I'm not saying mine isn't any more important but I've got boxes in rooms in my house that haven't been opened since I moved in years ago. but it's important stuff.:oops::)
I am a firm believer that what you acquire throughout life is dictated by available space. I recall moving into a huge apartment about 15 years ago. When I moved in, I had a bed, a dresser and 5 boxes worth of stuff. When I moved 7 years later, it required a full size moving company.

Prior to that I had been living with 2 roommates who already had a furnished place when I moved in.

I now have a 6 bedroom house that is fully furnished. It's amazing to think of all the stuff I've amassed. Frankly, I'm looking forward to the prospect of downsizing and living out of a few suitcases and golf bags.

Wow! That's a lot of stuff!

It is amazing what can be acquired over a life... and it can be amazingly depressing how little can be acquired over a life... example my wife and I were together for 18 years, married for 16 1/2. Then she died leaving me with our 2 children. Taking stock of my life at that point around 12 years ago and the little there was to show of our relationship in materialistic goods was heartbreaking. I never relaized that we traveled as light as we did.

Now I've got a new wife, more stuff, and a different perspective..

If given the chance to do so, and with nothing holding me back, I would definitely do A.

I am a firm believer that what you acquire throughout life is dictated by available space. I recall moving into a huge apartment about 15 years ago. When I moved in, I had a bed, a dresser and 5 boxes worth of stuff. When I moved 7 years later, it required a full size moving company.

Prior to that I had been living with 2 roommates who already had a furnished place when I moved in.

I now have a 6 bedroom house that is fully furnished. It's amazing to think of all the stuff I've amassed. Frankly, I'm looking forward to the prospect of downsizing and living out of a few suitcases and golf bags.
In our last move, we cut our square footage by about 40%. It was pretty amazing how much stuff we had that just didn't fit anymore, and that's even after we had garage sales and got rid of a bunch of it before moving.

Wow! That's a lot of stuff!

It is amazing what can be acquired over a life... and it can be amazingly depressing how little can be acquired over a life... example my wife and I were together for 18 years, married for 16 1/2. Then she died leaving me with our 2 children. Taking stock of my life at that point around 12 years ago and the little there was to show of our relationship in materialistic goods was heartbreaking. I never relaized that we traveled as light as we did.

Now I've got a new wife, more stuff, and a different perspective..
I'm not sure I have much in the way of material things that represent my relationship with my wife. Once a year, I make her a photo book of select images from throughout the past year. When we travel (which is a lot) I have the tendency to buy 1 little trinket and put it in my desk drawer as a memory.

Back