The Great Unknown

Research first, then go for it! When we moved to Costa Rica, we had no idea what we were in for. We found one of the best places to go for information is Facebook as there are many expat groups for almost any place on Earth.

We lived in Spain, Croatia and Mexico after Costa Rica and just did as much research as we could before we arrived.

The question isn't about the specifics of the scenario. It's about whether you're the type who would go.

At age 55 I’ll stay put but we already did this not permanently but for for 20 years.

22 years ago my wife, our 8 month old son, and I left all of our family and friends behind and moved to California for my job. We thought it would be for 2-3 years but often jobs and schools will hold you to a location along with life just getting super busy. We would do it all over again but are are now super happy to be out of California for good. My wife lived in NY for 5 years and also Los Angeles for a couple of years before we got married and we both agree the experience in living in a different state is a good thing. If we had staying in one city or state for our entire lives it would be impossible for us to understand the culture/life experiences that living in a different state offers and fully appreciate the culture in the place where you grew up.

We haven’t lived in Florida as adults but in three years we will making that leap of faith and moving there for 6 months each year. Hopefully we will love it but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

I would do my research but 100% jump on it.. would be hard leaving friends but even before covid we carely saw many of them, especially those longer "family friend" ones as many are spaced out (even though one couple lives 3 miles from us).. our parents can retire soon and move down by us to still have family around

At age 55 I’ll stay put but we already did this not permanently but for for 20 years.

22 years ago my wife, our 8 month old son, and I left all of our family and friends behind and moved to California for my job. We thought it would be for 2-3 years but often jobs and schools will hold you to a location along with life just getting super busy. We would do it all over again but are are now super happy to be out of California for good. My wife lived in NY for 5 years and also Los Angeles for a couple of years before we got married and we both agree the experience in living in a different state is a good thing. If we had staying in one city or state for our entire lives it would be impossible for us to understand the culture/life experiences that living in a different state offers and fully appreciate the culture in the place where you grew up.

We haven’t lived in Florida as adults but in three years we will making that leap of faith and moving there for 6 months each year. Hopefully we will love it but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

A. all day. everyday

Australia,New Zealand , I'd go in a heartbeat.
Africa you could not pay me enough.
USA , I would be concerned about the excessive number of guns, Canada is too cold for six months of the year.
Europe, no, they all drive on the wrong side of the road, but Italian cooking may change my mind.

Australia,New Zealand , I'd go in a heartbeat.
Africa you could not pay me enough.
USA , I would be concerned about the excessive number of guns, Canada is too cold for six months of the year.
Europe, no, they all drive on the wrong side of the road, but Italian cooking may change my mind.
So you're a B at best.

The very first place that popped into your head when you read the OP. For some that may be Mongolia, others it may be Kansas

Somewhere in the South Pacific...PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu....

I've lived in many places in my life. And this question made me think a bit. There are places I would love to experience but when I decided to move to Las Vegas in 2003, I vowed it was my last move. With a short stint in the Bay Area for work transfer 2009-2012, I relocated back to Las Vegas and LOVE IT. So my answer would be Refuse and Stay Put.

I've moved around a lot, both while growing up (dad was .gov) and of course while I was .mil

So to answer your question, I probably would take the opportunity. You only live once.

@Space Bandito
I can appreciate that you want input from fellow THPers. So when are you moving up here to the "good" half of CA?? :D

The move is spun as basically a lateral.....but in a new exotic place......Personally, I stay put. Family is important and being near by which for me is 4 kids/9 Gran kids in 4 states on the east coast. And I have had chance to visit many places and will continue to.

The move is spun as basically a lateral.....but in a new exotic place......Personally, I stay put. Family is important and being near by which for me is 4 kids/9 Gran kids in 4 states on the east coast. And I have had chance to visit many places and will continue to.

Do you mean for you personally? Or is this semantics?

Your words were.....
Everything is in place to make your life at least as comfortable as you have it at home
I read that as a lateral. If I am moving far[exotic] the pay back has to be substantial....otherwise, why?

I’m definitely a B/C.

I can’t see us ever leaving our current home town on a permanent basis. However, we are very open to spending a year or two working overseas somewhere. Our youngest is in his final year of school, and we were thinking about going to either UK or USA for 2021/22. This was all pre Covid-19 ...

Your words were.....
Everything is in place to make your life at least as comfortable as you have it at home
I read that as a lateral. If I am moving far[exotic] the pay back has to be substantial....otherwise, why?
So semantics. The whole idea is to let your imagination run. I said that to make sure people wouldn't get the idea they might be worse off than they are now.

C, unless the golf courses are open there. If so, I could probably handle working one more year (if the relocation package was sufficient) then retire again.

Never:( My wife grew up in the Bay Area and has vowed never to return. I've always wanted to live in the North.
Sorry to hear that she's so traumatized. I'd never want to live in the Bay area either. I hate even going there but I'm stuck doing that every so often to visit my wife's family.

Maybe ease into it by leaving pictures of Folsom lake and the surrounding communities up on your computer??

I'd wager the wife and I are down for it.

I think your post said it was just me... I’d research it and talk it over with for fiends and family. I’d probably do it.

Sorry to hear that she's so traumatized. I'd never want to live in the Bay area either. I hate even going there but I'm stuck doing that every so often to visit my wife's family.

Maybe ease into it by leaving pictures of Folsom lake and the surrounding communities up on your computer??
I think she'd be ok further up the coast, but even Marin we're pushing the distance we'd prefer to be from a major airport.

C, unless the golf courses are open there. If so, I could probably handle working one more year (if the relocation package was sufficient) then retire again.
Not necessarily for work, Scott. Just an opportunity to go - whatever that may mean. Maybe it's just a couple of friends who invited you to tag along, or perhaps a long lost relative left you a house somewhere

Not necessarily for work, Scott. Just an opportunity to go - whatever that may mean. Maybe it's just a couple of friends who invited you to tag along, or perhaps a long lost relative left you a house somewhere

In that case, I go with B. I have been married for a little over 20 years and would prefer to stay that way until death do us part.

Back