The Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese, the World's Most Expensive Sandwich from Serendipity 3. Sounds delicious, but pretty expensive!

serendipity-3-crafts-worlds-most-expensive-grilled-cheese.jpg

The Quintessential Grilled Cheese was created by the extravagant chefs at New York’s Serendipity 3 for National Sandwich Day and goes for a whopping $214—that’s about $13 a bite. It was recently named World's Most Expensive Sandwich by the Guinness Book of World Records.

If you’re looking for classic standby with American cheese, you’d be better off making something at home.

This ultimate luxury sandwich starts off with French Pullman bread—infused with Dom Perignon champagne and 24 karat gold flakes. The bread is then buttered with a white truffle spread. Inside, you’ve got layers of Caciocavallo Podolico Cheese, a rare Italian made from the milk of free-ranging cows fed a highly aromatic diet of fennel grasses and wild strawberries . After it’s been grilled to ooey-gooey perfection, the edges of the sandwich are dipped in gold leaf—which is actually edible in its purest form.

Instead of plain old tomato soup, the chefs at Serendipity serve up this grilled cheese with South African Lobster, swirled with more truffle oil.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418671231.822586.jpg

This was my grilled cheese with pulled pork & macaroni and cheese from the Grilled Cheese food truck in SoCal.
To die for!

Good old fashioned American Cheese, bacon and a slice of tomato

It needs to be gooing and must have bacon.

GC_zpsa4b0f251.jpg

Looking good.

Dinner last night for the kids. Of note is the bread. It's gluten free and the only gluten free bread I've had that tastes as good as regular bread.

7ahahuvu.jpg

I am a big fan of dipping the grilled cheese into the ketchup for each bite. For some reason, that tastes better than putting ketchup in the actual sandwich.

This thread makes me crave the grilled cheese and tomato bisque from beaches and cream at WDW.

Bliss.

This thread makes me crave the grilled cheese and tomato bisque from beaches and cream at WDW.

Bliss.

A lot of people use ketchup, or eat their grilled cheese with tomato soup. I love putting tomato in mine; for me, it really makes the grilled cheese sandwich come alive with flavor!

A lot of people use ketchup, or eat their grilled cheese with tomato soup. I love putting tomato in mine; for me, it really makes the grilled cheese sandwich come alive with flavor!

I like tomato soup, I love tomato sauce but just a slice of tomato hot is so gross to me. It makes no sense, but I have grown to embrace my weird eating habits.

I like tomato soup, I love tomato sauce but just a slice of tomato hot is so gross to me. It makes no sense, but I have grown to embrace my weird eating habits.

Then we are weird together. I can't stand it either.

One of my favorite meals is a bowl of spicy chili complimented by a grilled cheese sandwich. Nothing fancy on the sandwich, just a couple of slices of sharp cheddar between two slices of buttered (real stuff, not margarin) bread.

One of my favorite meals is a bowl of spicy chili complimented by a grilled cheese sandwich. Nothing fancy on the sandwich, just a couple of slices of sharp cheddar between two slices of buttered (real stuff, not margarin) bread.

Next time you are in Milledgeville stop by the Brick and order their grilled cheese sandwich with their tomato soup, I bet it will be you 2nd favorite meal from then on.

Lol - it makes perfect sense to me as I love peaches, but hate any peach-flavored food or drink. Not an exact analogy of course, because I like cold peaches as well as peach cobbler. Mmmmm, peach cobbler...

So now I have to find a local restaurant that has tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch today.... Thanks THP

So now I have to find a local restaurant that has tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch today.... Thanks THP
Sounds oh so yummy, especially on a cold day like today in NE!

Just made the doc and I some badass grilled cheeses on the griddle at the inlaws.

Crusty sourdough coated with garlic herb butter, with Swiss, provolone, and havarti cheeses.

With tomato bisque of course.

Blissssssssss.

Just made the doc and I some badass grilled cheeses on the griddle at the inlaws.

Crusty sourdough coated with garlic herb butter, with Swiss, provolone, and havarti cheeses.

Blissssssssss.
Sounds delicious.

We almost always have tomato soup with our grilled cheese.

Blissssssssss.

YES!

JM

Reading this thread makes me taste the grilled cheese sandwiches my grandma used to make me… Brings back great memories. I used to drive past her house when coming home from practice late at night, and when the lights were still on, I’d stop and she made me the best ones I ever had. Bread was sprinkled with great olive oil, 3 different cheeses, had peppers on it. Sometimes she’d put small strips of chicken between the bread and cheese as well. Had them all over the world, but they could never rival hers….

Been reading through this thread and it has me thinking I'll try a grilled cheese soon. I haven't had one since I've been old enough to remember. I vaguely remember having them when I was extremely young, but I didn't like them. Didn't like mac and cheese as a kid either, which has carried on to this day. I can't see a reason I wouldn't like a grilled cheese now though. I'll probably throw one on for lunch and see how it goes.

Thick cut crusty sourdough, gruyere, havarti, provolone.

6c59ca8ff472ff35162a9a560ff03e2c.jpg

Im suppose to be getting read to go out for my family's christmas but this thread seems more important. Anyway sometimes i like to use mozzarella cheese throw a touch of garlic powder on it. After its cooked i sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it. A really good cook once recommended to me to put peanut butter in a grilled cheese cant say i was a fan but some people may enjoy it.

Back