The Grint - World Handicap

jpbova

Reaction score
Handicap
I am hoping someone here can help me. I was using the Grint as well as GHIN to keep my handicap. My goal was to move away from GHIN and just use the Grint when my club membership was up. Yesterday, the Grint app updated with the new WHS. I log on, and they want my GHIN number. Fine, I enter it. I go into GHIN this morning. All my scores on my card are duplicated. Not the scores entered into GHIN, just the ones on the card. So, I go and immediately take my GHIN number off the Grint. Now, the Grint is saying I need to have a World Handicap number, and I need to buy it from them or enter my GHIN.

1. How the hell do I get the duplicated card scores off my card? Should I just wait overnight to see if there is a revision, and they are removed? OR do I delete all my scores on the Grint, enter my GHIN # into the Grint, and then wait for overnight for the revision?

2. Is the Grint no longer free? I have pushed people that didn't want to pay for a GHIN membership to this app to keep their handicap because it was free and relatively good. I will no longer do so if they are going to charge.

To have the Grint report into GHIN was a redundancy that probably was not all that well thought through

Last edited:
I just updated the app and logged in. I'm a pro member, so it might be a little different, but it doesn't appear that the handicap part is free anymore. It was asking me to buy a WGH number until I entered my GHIN. It didn't do any weird duplicate thing. Just removed what showed as an ~ handicap, and changed to my actual. So I'm guessing if most people don't have or buy a WGH # it will just show that approximate handicap??

I just updated the app and logged in. I'm a pro member, so it might be a little different, but it doesn't appear that the handicap part is free anymore. It was asking me to buy a WGH number until I entered my GHIN. It didn't do any weird duplicate thing. Just removed what showed as an ~ handicap, and changed to my actual. So I'm guessing if most people don't have or buy a WGH # it will just show that approximate handicap??
Has there been an overnight revision since you entered your GHIN into the Grint? Mine didn't show duplicates in my GHIN app card till there was an overnight revision

Has there been an overnight revision since you entered your GHIN into the Grint? Mine didn't show duplicates in my GHIN app card till there was an overnight revision

No. I just did it after I read your post. I didn't realize thegrint was updated yet, and thought I'd log in to see if I had similar trouble. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning on the duplicate thing? I don't think it's working perfectly though, because I'm logged in, but it's not showing me as a Pro member now, which I most definitely am. We'll have to wait for more feedback from others.

Yes. I would take your GHIN off the Grint before it duplicates tonight. The Grint only had to change a couple of equations to change to the WHS. Looks like they took the opportunity to screw up the entire app. I am having issues with it left and right

I was able to add 2 scores yesterday via the website. But today, the app is telling me my version is too old and needs to be updated. My handicap card in the app also says "the player does NOT comply with requirements".

It was nice while it lasted.

I have no Grint Handicap as of this AM. I was a pro member, and don;t have any communication about what is needed to get one.

Kinda disappointing... but not playing golf for three months, so plenty of time to sort this out.

The are having some issues with the mobile app for sure, i upgrade yesterday and just now it asked me up upgrade the app again. I did it and as soon as it opens is shuts down.

This thread made me want to take a look and the app wont open for some reason.. Hmmmm.

I agree. Mine is screwed up, too, but I don't plan to play (much anyway) until March or April so I'm good.

So I was just charged the 19.99 for a pro membership and now it's telling me I have to pay another $40. Anyone else having this issue?

Sounds like the Grint has gone wild!

I just deleted it from my phone and then went to the app store, it loaded the new version and seems to work fine now.
We aren't in HC season here so it says I have no HC even though I have over 20 scores turned in.

Sounds like the Grint is the Grift.

I just deleted it from my phone and then went to the app store, it loaded the new version and seems to work fine now.
We aren't in HC season here so it says I have no HC even though I have over 20 scores turned in.

I tried updating it, and no dice. I will try this.

I deleted an email from them yesterday. Didn’t even think about it. Now I see that I won’t be using them at all. Just used them for handicap purposes as I use The Arcoss caddie for everything else. Oh well.

f1fd9c2944836a4e581d6736a9fcab41.jpg

deleting and downloading seems to have done the trick.

So deleting and re-downloading seems to have done the trick with the bugs, however still doesn't change the fact that it is no longer a free handicap app. It's poor form not to warn people this change was coming

I've always used and liked TheGrint, upgraded last year and it was cool to be able to have a handicap.

I just updated the app but now it says I have NoHandicap which I guess is normal, and I was given a GHIN Member number. Still don't know what's going to be happening but I'll play it by ear.

From an email I received from them on August 27, 2019:

Upcoming Changes
We have always been proud that 1) we provide Free USGA Handicaps and 2) our price of $19.99/year is the lowest of our competitors.

Starting Jan 1st 2020 we will need to adjust our pricing given the new World Golf Handicap System. This new system, that the USGA and the R&A are launching, will have a cost per player which will force us to change our pricing.

Take advantage of our current pricing here before it goes up.

So starting Jan 1st 2020:

1) Our PRO membership price will increase (TBD)
2) We will provide USGA Compliant Handicaps for a Fee

Having said that:

WE WILL HONOR RENEWALS AT THE $19.99/YEAR PRICE

to everyone who is already a PRO member before January 1st 2020. Our PRO memberships will include a compliant Handicap.

I was using it to have a handicap among other things, I even paid to to continue at the old price and now after the update it says because I am not in the US I do not comply and I cannot have an handicap. Feeling pretty pissed and ripped off quite frankly. I know it's only $22CDN but I've had it less than a month!

From an email I received from them on August 27, 2019:
thanks for digging that up. Wish there would have been other notifications. I wasn't a Grint member then. Now I have to figure out how to get the duplicates off my card, and then delete the app for good

I am going to try reentering my GHIN, deleting my grint scores, and letting it revise tonight

To those using the Pro service do you think it is worth it?

To those using the Pro service do you think it is worth it?
Depends what you want from it.
Personally i bought into it because the Pro version gives lots of nice stats and looks good. Also having a handicap to work on was nice (but now it appears I can't have one in there) . I wish it had shot tracking but it seems to be lacking that. I used Google Reward credits to pay for a year so I'm really out any money. But it looks like I'll be going back to SwingU (which I also upgraded before they changed their pricing last year).

Back