The Grint: Yay or Nay?

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
Just signed up and put in my first round, seems to work pretty well. Anyone use and like/dislike? Would I be better off just getting a GHIN through a local course?

Functionally the same. Some courses for Tournaments will only take a ghin. Unless that impacts you, dont worry about the difference.

Functionally the same. Some courses for Tournaments will only take a ghin. Unless that impacts you, dont worry about the difference.

That is my worry, that a course would not take it if I played in say a member guest or something. Do you use Grint? I noticed your handicap says 11 "ish". What system do you use?

That is my worry, that a course would not take it if I played in say a member guest or something. Do you use Grint? I noticed your handicap says 11 "ish". What system do you use?

Ghin.

I used grint before ghin. I never had an issue with either, but I have heard individuals having the rare issue for a tournament. Then again my tournaments they dont need proof of handicap, just that you have one and it isnt over 20.

I mostly like it. I might be wrong, but I think a grint membership generates everyone an official GHIN number now since the recent change. Seemed like that's what they generated for me, but someone newer to it should know for sure. So I don't see how there would be tournament issues. A ghin's a ghin. If you start only accepting ones through certain bodies (your state golf association for example), you're putting yourself in a bad position, imo. If it's an official GHIN number, and you don't like it, take it up with GHIN.

Some people don't like the GPS tracking part of the app. It's not the best one. There are easier ones when you're on course (I prefer Golfshot Pro), but it works well enough.

I like their stat interfaces. Especially on an actual computer. Awesome way of collecting and displaying it. It's decent on a phone, just simpler, and isn't available on an android tablet (annoying). That part is still way better than most others though.

My only real issue with it is that unlike every other gps app like that where you can link your GHIN number to your account, thegrint automatically uploads those scores, immediately. Most ask you if you want to, instead of just doing it. Would be fine for most people probably, but their course info (slope/rating) isn't always accurate, so my handicap there was always a little different than through GHIN. GHIN will kick out an obvious error, but if it's close they seem to just take it as a manual entry and let it through. Which for me endsup with duplicated scores and inaccuracies on ghin. So I doubt have my official GHIN linked to my pro grint account, and my handicap there is no longer accurate. I might change that setup once I move, but we'll see. I had my GHIN # through my club, and posted scores through the ghin app before joining thegrint, so I noticed the ratings thing being off before, and especially now that thegrint posts for you. If thegrint is all you use though, I don't think you'd ever really notice any issue.

Last edited:
I’m a fan. I started using it for the free “USGA compliant handicap” which is no longer an option now that we’ve moved to the WHS. But I liked the app functionality so I paid to get an official handicap this year. Golfers can find me in the GHIN system even though I can’t actively log into it.

I dont like it because it always wants me to have someone else who is using the app attest to my scores. It does have some good features but I find the app annoying overall.

Ghin.

I used grint before ghin. I never had an issue with either, but I have heard individuals having the rare issue for a tournament. Then again my tournaments they dont need proof of handicap, just that you have one and it isnt over 20.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

I mostly like it. I might be wrong, but I think a grint membership generates everyone an official GHIN number now since the recent change. Seemed like that's what they generated for me, but someone newer to it should know for sure. So I don't see how there would be tournament issues. A ghin's a ghin. If you start only accepting ones through certain bodies (your state golf association for example), you're putting yourself in a bad position, imo. If it's an official GHIN number, and you don't like it, take it up with GHIN.

Some people don't like the GPS tracking part of the app. It's not the best one. There are easier ones when you're on course (I prefer Golfshot Pro), but it works well enough.

I like their stat interfaces. Especially on an actual computer. Awesome way of collecting and displaying it. It's decent on a phone, just simpler, and isn't available on an android tablet (annoying). That part is still way better than most others though.

My only real issue with it is that unlike every other gps app like that where you can link your GHIN number to your account, thegrint automatically uploads those scores, immediately. Most ask you if you want to, instead of just doing it. Would be fine for most people probably, but their course info (slope/rating) isn't always accurate, so my handicap there was always a little different than through GHIN. GHIN will kick out an obvious error, but if it's close they seem to just take it as a manual entry and let it through. Which for me endsup with duplicated scores and inaccuracies on ghin. So I doubt have my official GHIN linked to my pro grint account, and my handicap there is no longer accurate. I might change that setup once I move, but we'll see. I had my GHIN # through my club, and posted scores through the ghin app before joining thegrint, so I noticed the ratings thing being off before, and especially now that thegrint posts for you. If thegrint is all you use though, I don't think you'd ever really notice any issue.

Thanks for the info. I just did the free Grint membership, what do I gain by upgrading to the premium with an annual fee? Do you recommend? I agree I really like the stat interfaces on Grint. This is something I never tracked in the past but definitely want to do this year. (# of Putts % GIR etc.) It will be fun to break down the numbers and see where I am losing strokes (Everywhere 😬). I don't think I will use it for the GPS as I stick to the range finder and sometimes my Arccos app.

I’m a fan. I started using it for the free “USGA compliant handicap” which is no longer an option now that we’ve moved to the WHS. But I liked the app functionality so I paid to get an official handicap this year. Golfers can find me in the GHIN system even though I can’t actively log into it.

Gotcha 👌 What do you pay annually for Grint? And do you know what the GHIN annual fee is?

I dont like it because it always wants me to have someone else who is using the app attest to my scores. It does have some good features but I find the app annoying overall.

I did find that interesting where if you have more people attest it brings you out of the red and more "believable" I guess? It makes sense, but I will have to recruit people I play with to use Grint to make me honest I guess...

Thanks for the info. I just did the free Grint membership, what do I gain by upgrading to the premium with an annual fee? Do you recommend? I agree I really like the stat interfaces on Grint. This is something I never tracked in the past but definitely want to do this year. (# of Putts % GIR etc.) It will be fun to break down the numbers and see where I am losing strokes (Everywhere 😬). I don't think I will use it for the GPS as I stick to the range finder and sometimes my Arccos app.
Well you gain the official handicap, mostly. So I would recommend or not based on that. If you don't already have one, or can't get one easily/conveniently through a local club, then yeah, I'd recommend. Even as a free member the GIR, putts, etc is really valuable. GIR on FIR vs. Non-FIR was a big one for me. Changed my game. Same with scrambling and par 3 stuff.

Gotcha 👌 What do you pay annually for Grint? And do you know what the GHIN annual fee is?

The basic membership to get a handicap is $19.99. There’s a pro membership that provides additional benefits. I think the GHIN annual fee is dictated by your local club. Usually $10-20

I use it and I love it. Works great and keeping stats on it helps out a lot.

Well you gain the official handicap, mostly. So I would recommend or not based on that. If you don't already have one, or can't get one easily/conveniently through a local club, then yeah, I'd recommend. Even as a free member the GIR, putts, etc is really valuable. GIR on FIR vs. Non-FIR was a big one for me. Changed my game. Same with scrambling and par 3 stuff.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I think I will end up getting the full Grint membership. That way I can have an official handicap and then have all my stat tracking in one place.

The basic membership to get a handicap is $19.99. There’s a pro membership that provides additional benefits. I think the GHIN annual fee is dictated by your local club. Usually $10-20

So pretty comparable. Thanks 🙏

I use it and I love it. Works great and keeping stats on it helps out a lot.

I mean.. you're the data dude.. So I have to trust you that it works well for the stats ;)

not sure if it’s just a Jersey thing, but most courses around here charge $30-40 for the annual handicap service (GHIN).

not sure if it’s just a Jersey thing, but most courses around here charge $30-40 for the annual handicap service (GHIN).

Got it. I am planning on going to a couple courses and asking, that is.. when we are allowed in the club house again 🤦‍♂️

I’m in PA where it’s $10-$20 so $30-$40 definitely sounds like a Jersey thing ;)

I did find that interesting where if you have more people attest it brings you out of the red and more "believable" I guess? It makes sense, but I will have to recruit people I play with to use Grint to make me honest I guess...
I think that it does it because the app tries to establish a handicap for you and thats why it wants someone to verify that the scores you enter are legit. Either way, it annoys me.
I just want something that tells me the yardage, gives me a map and lets me enter my scores. Thats why I prefer 18 Birdies to The Grint. 18 Birdies is just simpler.

I have been using The Grint for a couple years now to keep a HC. No issues at all, haven't ever found a course that wasn't in their system. I just keep it on my phone and upload after the round is over and its done.

So let's talk about that. I ran into this years ago with another handicapping service. The fact is the tournament committee was wrong. If they are a USGA compliant handicap system (and The Grint is) they have to accept handicaps from that service. Back then it was ignorance on the part of the tournament committee or host course. They didn't realize there WAS any other service beside GHIN that was approved as a USGA handicapping system. That was like a decade ago.

Is this still going on? Have things changed?

Most golf stores have GHIN available for around $20 and you can enter your scores online so you don't need to be a member at any course.

Back