The Grint: Yay or Nay?

I have been using The Grint for a couple years now to keep a HC. No issues at all, haven't ever found a course that wasn't in their system. I just keep it on my phone and upload after the round is over and its done.
Couldn’t say my thoughts any better. Been on The Grint for quite sometime and I really like it.

I really like The Grint. I especially appreciate all of the stats as it really helps me get a big picture view of my game over time. (and has helpful suggestions on what I need to work on for my handicap.)

I have several friends that use it. So I like the feature when it sends you notifications when you're friends are playing and when they post a round.

I do use GHIN as well, only because my club plays in a league with other clubs and a GHIN is required.

I think that it does it because the app tries to establish a handicap for you and thats why it wants someone to verify that the scores you enter are legit. Either way, it annoys me.
I just want something that tells me the yardage, gives me a map and lets me enter my scores. Thats why I prefer 18 Birdies to The Grint. 18 Birdies is just simpler.

I gotcha, totally understandable. I will have to take a look at 18 Birdies, never used that before. Thanks!

I have been using The Grint for a couple years now to keep a HC. No issues at all, haven't ever found a course that wasn't in their system. I just keep it on my phone and upload after the round is over and its done.

Perfect. Do you download the course before you leave the house? I saw that option.

So let's talk about that. I ran into this years ago with another handicapping service. The fact is the tournament committee was wrong. If they are a USGA compliant handicap system (and The Grint is) they have to accept handicaps from that service. Back then it was ignorance on the part of the tournament committee or host course. They didn't realize there WAS any other service beside GHIN that was approved as a USGA handicapping system. That was like a decade ago.

Is this still going on? Have things changed?

It is reassuring knowing that The Grint is USGA compliant.

Perfect. Do you download the course before you leave the house? I saw that option.
You can. I just do it when I get to the course. I do make sure when going to a new course I haven't been to, that it is already on the Grint.

The Grint has changed with the new WHS. It is now linked directly to GHIN (if you select that option) and automatically uploads scores every night to GHIN. It is NOT the separate Grint handicap service as it was before WHS.

If you already have a GHIN number you can keep that number and link it in The Grint - you don't have to get a new GHIN number.

Also, in TX most clubs charge $35 for GHIN services.

Additionally, The Grint is into the 2nd year of having local The Grint amateur tournaments which are set up exactally like the Golf Channel AmTour. They are a nice competition that you can check out if you are into that type of thing. Google and you can find the links. They have a central Texas and a North Texas schedule as well as other locations around the country. Not as large as the GCAmTour but it is only their second year.

The Grint has changed with the new WHS. It is now linked directly to GHIN (if you select that option) and automatically uploads scores every night to GHIN. It is NOT the separate Grint handicap service as it was before WHS.

If you already have a GHIN number you can keep that number and link it in The Grint - you don't have to get a new GHIN number.

Additionally, The Grint is into the 2nd year of having local The Grint amateur tournaments which are set up exactally like the Golf Channel AmTour. They are a nice competition that you can check out if you are into that type of thing. Google and you can find the links. They have a central Texas and a North Texas schedule as well as other locations around the country. Not as large as the GCAmTour but it is only their second year.

Great info, thanks @larryw.

I do not have a GHIN number but after all the feedback I think I will be going with the Grint Membership.

The Grint Tournaments sounds awesome. I always wanted to do the GC AM Tour but there were never any local tourneys, I will have to check that out.

Been using it for a couple of years now. I like it and I have the Pro membership as price stayed the same this year. I like all the stats and such. On the course I use the digital scorecard which is good. Been overall happy with it.

That is my worry, that a course would not take it if I played in say a member guest or something. Do you use Grint? I noticed your handicap says 11 "ish". What system do you use?
its a USGA hanidcap so in america they should take it, my father-in-law's member guest used to take it, although now I have a GHIN.

I'm a big fan of The Grint and have used it for a couple of years now. I use it mostly to track general stats for my rounds, never for a handicap or anything. I like that it works well with my Apple Watch so I don't have to keep taking my phone out of my pocket.

Been using it for a couple of years now. I like it and I have the Pro membership as price stayed the same this year. I like all the stats and such. On the course I use the digital scorecard which is good. Been overall happy with it.

I have never used a digital scorecard, so I am planning on transitioning to this as well. Glad to hear you like it. Overall, the feedback has been very positive.

I'm a big fan of The Grint and have used it for a couple of years now. I use it mostly to track general stats for my rounds, never for a handicap or anything. I like that it works well with my Apple Watch so I don't have to keep taking my phone out of my pocket.

I have only played a couple times with my Apple Watch on, and it has felt kinda weird. I don't know if it is just in my head but I want to find a way to get comfortable with it.

its a USGA hanidcap so in america they should take it, my father-in-law's member guest used to take it, although now I have a GHIN.

That's good to know. Appreciate it 🙏

I have only played a couple times with my Apple Watch on, and it has felt kinda weird. I don't know if it is just in my head but I want to find a way to get comfortable with it.
I used to wear a GPS watch a few years ago and back then it definitely took some getting used to but now it's kind of weird if I'm not wearing my watch. It took some time though.

I used to wear a GPS watch a few years ago and back then it definitely took some getting used to but now it's kind of weird if I'm not wearing my watch. It took some time though.

Gotcha, will definitely just take some time. I will give it a chance for sure.

I haven't used it and most likely will never use it as my men's club membership gets me a ghin.

We've been using The Grint for over 5 years now...the free version. My brothers, nephew and in-laws all use it for gambling purposes. Even if the handicaps are not USGA compliant, it good enough for our bets.

The GPS works pretty good, too. Every course we've ever played has been on there.

We've been using The Grint for over 5 years now...the free version. My brothers, nephew and in-laws all use it for gambling purposes. Even if the handicaps are not USGA compliant, it good enough for our bets.

The GPS works pretty good, too. Every course we've ever played has been on there.

Nice to see you guys have stuck with it for that long. I am definitely going to explore it more and make sure I maximize the platform.

Ha funny as I just checked my stats. I’ve been using The GRINT since 2014. Wow 6 years.

Ha funny as I just checked my stats. I’ve been using The GRINT since 2014. Wow 6 years.

That is great. I dove in on it a little bit this evening and go to know the platform. Very excited to track GIR, putts, missed fairways L or R, and ...lost strokes OB :cry:

Question for those of you that use it - how much functionality is there in a free membership? I know you don't get the GHIN handicap unless you pony up for the paid membership (I already have a GHIN anyway), but how much stat tracking/analysis (and whatever else) can you do with the free version?

Question for those of you that use it - how much functionality is there in a free membership? I know you don't get the GHIN handicap unless you pony up for the paid membership (I already have a GHIN anyway), but how much stat tracking/analysis (and whatever else) can you do with the free version?

I believe you get course GPS and I’ve never not found a course. Scorecard, putts, fairways & GIR, penalties, and sandies. And then it tracks these stats over time.

I hear good things about the Grint but I use Arccos and it meets my needs

That's interesting because the WHS version of GHIN is badly deprecated. It only keeps about 10% of the stats and reports that it previously provided. My understanding from others is that the Grint still tracks a lot of stats. If that is true, my question is where is that data stored? On the new GHIN database or a Grint database? If it's the former, there is still hope GHIN is going to add back in the lost advanced scoring stats and reporting. If it's the latter, The Grint and others may have a distinct advantage over GHIN for some time.

Back