The Half Set Challenge

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Let's mix things up a bit to keep it fresh. This year I am going to play five rounds with a half set, to promote creativity and out of curiosity see how much effect there is on my score. I am looking for ten other THP'ers to join me on this journey and post in this thread. Now, it is the off season in New England and my play will not start until April, however, I thought this would be a fun Challenge to start off 2020.

Challenge Entry Criteria:
  • You are allowed 7 clubs. They do not have to be the same 7 clubs each round - dial in your set as you go.
  • Play and score 72 holes with a 7-club set. This lowers barrier to entry, but 4 full rounds still allows for extended play and a chance to really give it a solid try. Any combination of 9 and 18 hole scores is OK.
  • Report Summary Results using template below. This will include a comparison to your 18 hole differentials.
  • entries complete by July 31
  • Have Fun

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

The Half Set Challege - Final Entry Format

Start Date:
Start Handicap:

Scoring (Differentials)

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:

Extra Rounds (for 9 hole entries, bonus, etc)
Round 5:

Average Differential:

End Date:
End Handicap:

Did the Half Set Challege Help Your Game?

Favorite aspect of the Half Set Challenge?

?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

At the conclusion of the contest, I will hold a random drawing for a Prize. I have a couple of ideas that could be fun.

Any takers?

Last edited:
I'm willing to give this a go. Any outliers we should be aware of? 9 or 18? Are Par 3's applicable?

And putter counts as a club. Yes?

Awesome! Yes, putter counts as a club. You can choose to put in or leave out any clubs you want. And yes, the rules apply to the whole round. Head to the course with 7 clubs, tee it up, and let's see what happens. Simple!

Last edited:
I am game. I played a few rounds with 8 clubs in 2019. IIRC, my scores were only 2 strokes off my normal full bag score. I still use a lot of 4 hybrid shots to this day that I learned to hit during those 8 club rounds.

Yeah, this could be fun! I’ve got an old set of persimmons I’ve wanted to try this with!

Just marking this post for later as a reference. But I think I could go 3w, 5w, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, 54, and putter. We'll see how this plays out

Just marking this post for later as a reference. But I think I could go 3w, 5w, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, 54, and putter. We'll see how this plays out

DQ'ed for 8 clubs :p

I’m all about fun. Just never understood the hipster minimalist golf thing going on. Maybe I should try it?!

Sounds interesting and fun. I’ll have to consider this.

I don’t think I will take part in the challenge but if I were to do it I think 3w, 4i, 7i, 9i, pw, 54, putter would be the way to go.

I’m all about fun. Just never understood the hipster minimalist golf thing going on. Maybe I should try it?!

Nothing hipster about it for me, more like going back to roots. When I learned to play golf around age seven I was ecstatic over-the-moon to have a set of 7 junior clubs. I recall adult half sets being more popular in those days as well. Anyway, I never once felt like I was "missing out" on more clubs while learning to play. Obviously I moved onto a full set around age 10 or 11, but the point is that you can play fine golf while learning some shotmaking creativity with less clubs.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how well they can get around, if you've never tried it you've got nothing to lose!

Nothing hipster about it for me, more like going back to roots. When I learned to play golf around age seven I was ecstatic over-the-moon to have a set of 7 junior clubs. I recall adult half sets being more popular in those days as well. Anyway, I never once felt like I was "missing out" on more clubs while learning to play. Obviously I moved onto a full set around age 10 or 11, but the point is that you can play fine golf while learning some shotmaking creativity with less clubs.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how well they can get around, if you've never tried it you've got nothing to lose!
Those are very good and valid points!

Driver, 2i, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, P...and hopes and dreams.

I would love to try this at some point in my life. It just isn’t in the cards with time restraints I currently have.

I think it will make you a better golfer because you have to get creative with shot selection.

I may try this tomorrow.

D, 3/4 hyb, 5, 8, PW, SW, P

I could definitely try this. Might be 9 hole rounds for me, but I'll join in.

I can do this relatively easily as I've done this in the past, several times. D, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54*, putter

Driver, 3iron wood, 5, 7, 9, 54*, putter would probably work out fine, although I might drop the 3iw and 54 in favor of an AW/58 as I'm a little more comfortable trying to hood a 5i than getting creative with my wedges. This would be fun, cool post?

I’ve played in a 6 club 4 man scramble before and it was a blast.
As soon as the doc says I can play, I’ll give it a go.

I'll do it. I will go:

D, 3hy, 6i, 8i, PW, 54*, Putter

NIce but not for me. Golf is difficult enough. I once played 9 holes with a 6i and a putter.

Back