The Half Set Challenge

Back to a 77 (39 - 38) today. 4 half set rounds have been 75 - 77 - 75 - 77. Couldn't get putts to drop today. Had 5 birdie putts roll over the edge or lip out. 1 birdie, 13 pars, 2 bogeys and 2 doubles. I do still really miss the 58 degree wedge more than any other club in my full bag.

5th half set round today and shot another 75 (36 - 39). 3 birdies, 9 pars and 6 bogeys.

Some learnings and observations from the 5 rounds:

1. I used my rangefinder significantly less during those 5 rounds than I normally do. Maybe used it 6 times total in all 5 rounds (none today) where I probably shot distances 10 - 12 times per round notmally. Just glanced at the yardage stakes (did not walk anything off) and went by feel. I probably should do that a lot more often in my full set rounds.

2. I likely would have shot the same scores with a full compliment of clubs. 5 round average was slightly under 76.

3. The TEE CBx 3 wood is lethal off the tee and will probably be going back into my gamer bag.

4. Found a new weapon for those 50 - 80 yards partial wedge shots. I would typically automatically pull my 58 degree wedge but intentionally left it out of the mix to force hitting more shots with the 54. Hit a lot of really good partial wedges over those rounds so now have confidence in that club from those distances. Will still use the 58 more around the green because I can control if better and have more success with it.

5. My putting still sucks, particularly 5 - 10 foot birdie putts, no matter how many clubs I have in the bag.

I have updated the first post with the Final Entry Format. Congratulations @Sox_Fan as being the first to complete the Half Set Challenge. Fantastic thoughts and lessons learned. Your entry is grandfathered. For everyone else, here is what I would like to see:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

The Half Set Challenge - Final Entry Format

Start Date:
Start Handicap:

Scoring (Differentials)

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:

Extra Rounds (for 9 hole entries, bonus, etc)
Round 5:

Average Differential:

End Date:
End Handicap:

Did the Half Set Challenge Help Your Game?

Favorite aspect of the Half Set Challenge?

?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

As a reminder there will be a prize at the end, and it will be a good one. Thanks for playing!

Bumping this thread to the top :p

I've been a dedicated minimalist for nearly 3 years, typically carrying 7-8 clubs. Have never enjoyed the game more, and score just as well as I ever have.

I'm glad this was bumped, I had forgot about it. As soon as we'r get some reasonable weather, I'm all about it!

Sounds like fun!

Let's mix things up a bit to keep it fresh. This year I am going to play five rounds with a half set, to promote creativity and out of curiosity see how much effect there is on my score. I am looking for ten other THP'ers to join me on this journey and post in this thread. Now, it is the off season in New England and my play will not start until April, however, I thought this would be a fun Challenge to start off 2020.

Challenge Entry Criteria:
  • You are allowed 7 clubs. They do not have to be the same 7 clubs each round - dial in your set as you go.
  • Play and score 72 holes with a 7-club set. This lowers barrier to entry, but 4 full rounds still allows for extended play and a chance to really give it a solid try. Any combination of 9 and 18 hole scores is OK.
  • Report Summary Results using template below. This will include a comparison to your 18 hole differentials.
  • entries complete by July 31
  • Have Fun

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

The Half Set Challege - Final Entry Format

Start Date:
Start Handicap:

Scoring (Differentials)

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:

Extra Rounds (for 9 hole entries, bonus, etc)
Round 5:

Average Differential:

End Date:
End Handicap:

Did the Half Set Challege Help Your Game?

Favorite aspect of the Half Set Challenge?

?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

At the conclusion of the contest, I will hold a random drawing for a Prize. I have a couple of ideas that could be fun.

Any takers?
pineridge in north oxford is open tomorrow

pineridge in north oxford is open tomorrow

I have been pining :ROFLMAO: for some golf in MA but the 5 hour round trip and work/fam commitments have me stymied. I'd like to get down on a weekend soon, the week is tougher with the 9-5 routine.

I've been a dedicated minimalist for nearly 3 years, typically carrying 7-8 clubs. Have never enjoyed the game more, and score just as well as I ever have.

2 years for me now. I use 7-9 clubs but most often 8. First year I played probably 85% this way, last year I think I played with a full bag twice, both scrambles. My scores really aren’t any different with the half set.

Last year I even purchased a dedicated half set of irons, 4/6/8/P only.

Still snowy here but looking forward to spring!

I'll give it a try. At 71 yrs. old and still carrying my bag, taking out half of the clubs might just be the thing.

I think I'll go with Driver, 4 hy, 6i, 8i, pw, sw, putter

So I have not played as much as I usually do. 2 18's and 6 9's but That is enough to give a report. My scores do not reflect any difference tee to green. I am a 13 handicap from the up/senior tees. On days that my scores are up it is not because of tee to green but rather chipping and putting. On the positive, I find it an enjoyable challenge to figure out what to hit and how. I did not use the 4 hy but rather a 7 wood, I find it to be higher launching than the hybrid and more versatile. I can choke way down and hit it 150 yds or swing away and reach 175. Actually, I like the lightness of half the clubs because I carry most of the time. One club I miss in this setup is my 5 iron to hit the low screamer under trees when I am off the fairway. The 6 iron launches too high and usually hits the tree. All in all, I may play this setup most of the time the rest of the summer.

So I have not played as much as I usually do. 2 18's and 6 9's but That is enough to give a report. My scores do not reflect any difference tee to green. I am a 13 handicap from the up/senior tees. On days that my scores are up it is not because of tee to green but rather chipping and putting. On the positive, I find it an enjoyable challenge to figure out what to hit and how. I did not use the 4 hy but rather a 7 wood, I find it to be higher launching than the hybrid and more versatile. I can choke way down and hit it 150 yds or swing away and reach 175. Actually, I like the lightness of half the clubs because I carry most of the time. One club I miss in this setup is my 5 iron to hit the low screamer under trees when I am off the fairway. The 6 iron launches too high and usually hits the tree. All in all, I may play this setup most of the time the rest of the summer.

Thanks for reviving this thread, and, well done! Nice benefit not having to carry so much weight or think through as many options.

Bumping this discussion. When the thread was started, no one knew that 2020 would turn out to be such a bizarre golf season. Anyone else complete the half set challenge? I'll admit that I did not put in my rounds, as rounds were limited and I was tinkering with a fair amount of equipment testing when I did play this summer.

@Sox_Fan thanks for completing The Half Set Challenge and sharing your thoughts!

I've just never been able to commit to leaving half my clubs behind. I know I could play that way, but just can't bring myself to do it.
Using more club with smoother swings would be the overall net effect I'd hope for.
The push cart kinda makes it too easy to bring them all along.

Shoot, I have enough trouble with 14 clubs. I don’t think I’d ever carry only 7. That said, I only used 10/14 clubs during my last round.

Back